Great pains, small gains for those who ask the world to solve them; it cannot solve itself. 那些想请求世界给解决大灾小利的人,世界却连它自己也闹不清。 Methinks now this coined sun wears a ruddy face; but see! aye, he ente

发表于:2019-02-17 / 阅读(56) / 评论(0) 分类 白鲸记

In short, this ancient and learned Low Dutch book treated of the commerce of Holland; 总之,这本古老而又精湛的荷兰语书,虽然讲的是荷兰的商业, and, among other subjects, contained a very interesting account of its whale fi

发表于:2019-02-17 / 阅读(33) / 评论(0) 分类 白鲸记

But I may as well sayen passant, as the French remark, 不过,我还得说象法国话所说的en passant(法文:顺便一提的意思。), that I myselfthat is to say, Jack Bunger, late of the reverend clergyam a strict total abstinence ma

发表于:2019-02-17 / 阅读(34) / 评论(0) 分类 白鲸记

But once gone through, we trace the round again; and are infants, boys, and men, and Ifs eternally. 可是,走遍了一周后,我们又重新走回头来,于是,又是孩提,少年,成人,和永远不变的假定。 Where lies the final

发表于:2019-02-20 / 阅读(41) / 评论(0) 分类 白鲸记

Look! here, far water-locked; beyond all hum of human weal or woe; in these most candid and impartial seas; 瞧!老远的那个大水闸闸住了;听不到人间祸福的营营声;在这个最公正无私的海洋上; where to traditions no r

发表于:2019-02-25 / 阅读(118) / 评论(0) 分类 白鲸记

And what is the will of God?to do to my fellow man what I would have my fellow man to do to me that is the will of God. 啊,叫他也来跟我一起做我那特殊的长老教派的崇拜仪式。那么,上帝的意旨又是什么呢?我役于人,人役

发表于:2019-02-25 / 阅读(61) / 评论(0) 分类 白鲸记

Queequeg was a native of Kokovoko, an island far away to the West and South. It is not down on any map; true places never are. 魁魁格是科科伏柯人,那是一个远在西南方的岛屿。任何一张地图上都没有这个地方;真实的地方

发表于:2019-02-25 / 阅读(70) / 评论(0) 分类 白鲸记

I asked him what might be his immediate purpose, touching his future movements. 说到他将来的动向,我就问他目前打算怎样。 He answered, to go to sea again, in his old vocation. 他回答说,又要出海去干他的老行当了。 Upon

发表于:2019-02-25 / 阅读(70) / 评论(0) 分类 白鲸记

Lost by a whale! Young man, come nearer to me: it was devoured, chewed up, crunched by the monstrousest parmacetty that ever chipped a boat!--ah, ah! 给大鲸搞掉的!小伙子,走过来一些;那条腿是让那种打击小艇从来没有打击得这

发表于:2019-02-25 / 阅读(54) / 评论(0) 分类 白鲸记

A clam for supper? a cold clam; is that what you mean, Mrs. Hussey? says I, 一只蛤蜊当晚饭吃吗?一只冷蛤蜊;是这意思吗?胡赛太太?我说; but that's a rather cold and clammy reception in the winter time, ain't it, Mrs. Hussey? 不过

发表于:2019-02-25 / 阅读(54) / 评论(0) 分类 白鲸记

Wood-house! cried I, which way to it? 堆柴房!我嚷道,该往哪里走? Run for God's sake, and fetch something to pry open the door-the axe!-the axe! 赶快,看在老天爷份上,找件什么东西把那扇门给撬开来...斧头!斧头! he's ha

发表于:2019-02-25 / 阅读(60) / 评论(0) 分类 白鲸记

Bildad, cried Captain Peleg, at it again, Bildad, eh? 比勒达,法勒船长嚷道,又在念啦,比勒达,是吗? Ye have been studying those Scriptures, now, for the last thirty years, to my certain knowledge. How far ye got, Bildad? 就我所知,你已

发表于:2019-02-25 / 阅读(77) / 评论(0) 分类 白鲸记

Like Captain Peleg, Captain Bildad was a well-to-do, retired whaleman. 象法勒船长一样,比勒达船长也是个小康的退休捕鲸者。 But unlike Captain Peleg-who cared not a rush for what are called serious things, and indeed deemed those

发表于:2019-02-25 / 阅读(51) / 评论(0) 分类 白鲸记

By the merest chance the ship itself at last rescued him; 就在这千钧一发的时分,那艘大船终于把他救起; but from that hour the little negro went about the deck an idiot; such, at least, they said he was. 可是,打那时起,这

发表于:2019-02-25 / 阅读(82) / 评论(0) 分类 白鲸记

Now, in calm weather, to swim in the open ocean is as easy to the practised swimmer as to ride in a spring-carriage ashore. 且说,在宁静无风的天气里,在辽阔的海洋上游水,对一个老游水的人说来,正跟在岸上驾着一辆

发表于:2019-02-25 / 阅读(46) / 评论(0) 分类 白鲸记

We can't afford to lose whales by the likes of you; a whale would sell for thirty times what you would, Pip, in Alabama. 我们不能为了你这样的人而白白牺牲一条大鲸,一条大鲸,在阿拉巴马地方,卖起来可比你的身价高

发表于:2019-02-25 / 阅读(62) / 评论(0) 分类 白鲸记

Snatching the boat-knife from its sheath, he suspended its sharp edge over the line, and turning towards Stubb, exclaimed interrogatively, Cut? Meantime Pip's blue, choked face plainly looked, Do, for God's sake! All passed in a flash. In less than h

发表于:2019-02-25 / 阅读(57) / 评论(0) 分类 白鲸记

Started from his slumbers, Ahab, face to face, saw the Parsee; 亚哈从睡梦里惊醒过来,跟那个祆教徒面面相觑; and hooped round by the gloom of the night they seemed the last men in a flooded world. 在那朦胧笼罩的夜空中,他

发表于:2019-02-25 / 阅读(61) / 评论(0) 分类 白鲸记

When darkness came on, sky and sea roared and split with the thunder, and blazed with the lightning, 夜幕拢来的时候,霹雳一阵雷鸣,弄得海天齐吼,电光狂闪, that showed the disabled mast fluttering here and there with the ra

发表于:2019-03-05 / 阅读(107) / 评论(0) 分类 白鲸记

He was going on with some wild reminiscences about his tomahawk-pipe which, it seemed, had in its two uses both brained his foes and soothed his soul, 他是在对他那烟斗斧发狂思,那东西,在我们直接注意这个熟睡的索匠的时候,好

发表于:2019-03-10 / 阅读(111) / 评论(0) 分类 白鲸记