赖世雄旅游观光英语通 第34期:海牙
时间:2019-03-18 作者:英语课 分类:赖世雄旅游观光英语通
英语课
The Hague
海牙
The next city on Kathy and Evan's itinerary 1 is The Hague.
凯西和艾凡行程上的下一个城市是海牙。
E:After the hustle 2 and bustle 3 of Rotterdam, we can relax here in The Hague.
艾凡:在经历喧嚣扰攘的鹿特丹之后,我们可以在海牙这里放松一下了。
K:I'm not very familiar with this city.
凯西:我对这个城市不是很熟悉。
E:Well, it's the third largest city in the Netherlands. It's also a kind of international capital.
艾凡:它是荷兰的第三大城,也是一个国际性的首都。
K:What do you mean?
凯西:你这么说是什么意思呢?
E:Well, the World Court is here, and the city has always been an international center, playing a leading role in law and trade in Europe and, today, for the world.
艾凡:嗯,(联合国)国际法庭在这儿,而且这个城市一直是个国际中心,在欧洲以及当今世界的法律和贸易上都扮演领导的角色。
K:Gee, I didn't know that.
凯西:乖乖,我从没听过这件事。
E:You're not a diplomat 4! You're an artist, remember?
艾凡:你不是外交官!你是艺术家,记得吗?
K:Very funny. Hey! What's that beautiful old castle there?
凯西:好好笑哟(反讽语)。嘿!那边那座美丽的古堡是什么呢?
E:That's the center of this city. It was built by an early king here in the 13th century. Lots of old buildings were built around it, not to mention man-made canals and lakes. That's how the city got started.
艾凡:那是这个城市的中心点。古堡于十三世纪初由本地一位国王建造而成。许多古老的建筑物也环绕它的四周而建,更不用说是人造运河和湖泊了。这个城市就是这样开始的。
K:Fascinating. Er, what can we do here?
凯西:非常迷人的历史。呃,在这里我们能做什么?
E:Are you kidding? There are more than a dozen museums, including a couple for both historic 5 and contemporary art, and lots of theaters. Or tomorrow we can go to the beach.
艾凡:你在开玩笑吗?这里有十几间博物馆,其中包括了几个兼具历代及当代艺术的博物馆,还有不少的剧院。或许明天我们可以去海滩。
K:I'd love to see the North Sea!
凯西:我很想去看看北海!
单词短语精讲:
1. The Hague 海牙(为荷兰土室和国际法庭的所在地)
2. itinerary 行程表,旅行路线
例:The travel agent prepared, Miss Collin'、itinemnv and ,laced 6 it with her tickets and },ass},ont.
(旅行社替科林斯小姐准备厂旅行路线并把它和她的机票和护照放在 一起。)
3. the hustle and bustle of...喧嚣扰攘的……
例:The hustle and bustle of big cities is not foY evervone;many people feel tined just visiting them.
(大都市的喧嚣扰攘并不适合每个人,许多人仅仅游览城市就会觉得
很疲倦。)
4. be familiar with…对……熟悉
familiar .熟悉的
例:I've visited Bangkok so many times that I' m now familiar with it.
(我已经去过曼谷这么多次,所以现在我对那里很熟厂。)
5.capital 首都
6.leading 领导的,重要的
7. diplomat 外交官
n.行程表,旅行路线;旅行计划
- The two sides have agreed on the itinerary of the visit.双方商定了访问日程。
- The next place on our itinerary was Silistra.我们行程的下一站是锡利斯特拉。
v.推搡;竭力兜售或获取;催促;n.奔忙(碌)
- It seems that he enjoys the hustle and bustle of life in the big city.看起来他似乎很喜欢大城市的热闹繁忙的生活。
- I had to hustle through the crowded street.我不得不挤过拥挤的街道。
v.喧扰地忙乱,匆忙,奔忙;n.忙碌;喧闹
- The bustle and din gradually faded to silence as night advanced.随着夜越来越深,喧闹声逐渐沉寂。
- There is a lot of hustle and bustle in the railway station.火车站里非常拥挤。
n.外交官,外交家;能交际的人,圆滑的人
- The diplomat threw in a joke, and the tension was instantly relieved.那位外交官插进一个笑话,紧张的气氛顿时缓和下来。
- He served as a diplomat in Russia before the war.战前他在俄罗斯当外交官。
adj.历史上著名的,具有历史意义的
- This is a historic occasion.这是具有重大历史意义的时刻。
- We are living in a great historic era.我们正处在一个伟大的历史时代。