英语听书《白鲸记》第262期
英语课
I asked him what might be his immediate 1 purpose, touching 2 his future movements. 说到他将来的动向,我就问他目前打算怎样。
He answered, to go to sea again, in his old vocation 3. 他回答说,又要出海去干他的老行当了。
Upon this, I told him that whaling was my own design, and informed him of my intention to sail out of Nantucket, 听到这话,我就告诉他说,我自己也打算去捕鲸,同时把我想到南塔开特去的意图告诉了他,
as being the most promising 4 port for an adventurous 5 whaleman to embark 6 from. 因为那是一个敢于冒险的捕鲸者应该去的最有前途的港口。
He at once resolved to accompany me to that island, ship aboard the same vessel 7, get into the same watch, the same boat, the same mess with me, in short to share my every hap 8; 他立刻决定要陪我上那个岛去,同上一只船,同在一起值班,同划一只小艇,共吃一样的食物,一句话,同甘共苦;
with both my hands in his, boldly dip into the Potluck of both worlds. 我们一起紧拉着手,勇敢地去尝尝天上人间的家常便饭。
To all this I joyously 9 assented 10; for besides the affection I now felt for Queequeg, he was an experienced harpooneer, 对于这一切,我都愉快地同意;因为现在我除了爱慕魁魁格以外,还因为他是一个有经验的标枪手,
and as such,could not fail to be of great usefulness to one, 对象我这样的人...虽然是个十分熟悉海洋的商船水手,
who, like me, was wholly ignorant of the mysteries of whaling, though well acquainted with the sea, as known to merchant seamen 11. 却对捕鲸的秘诀一窍不通....一定大有用处。
His story being ended with his pipe's last dying puff 12, Queequeg embraced me, pressed his forehead against mine, 魁魁格的烟斗喷出最后一口有气无力的烟,他的故事也讲完了,他拥抱我,把他的额头紧紧贴着我的额头,
and blowing out the light, we rolled over from each other, this way and that, and very soon were sleeping. 吹熄灯后,我们便各自翻过身去,翻了一阵,很快就睡着了。
adj.立即的;直接的,最接近的;紧靠的
- His immediate neighbours felt it their duty to call.他的近邻认为他们有责任去拜访。
- We declared ourselves for the immediate convocation of the meeting.我们主张立即召开这个会议。
n.职业,行业
- She struggled for years to find her true vocation.她多年来苦苦寻找真正适合自己的职业。
- She felt it was her vocation to minister to the sick.她觉得照料病人是她的天职。
adj.有希望的,有前途的
- The results of the experiments are very promising.实验的结果充满了希望。
- We're trying to bring along one or two promising young swimmers.我们正设法培养出一两名有前途的年轻游泳选手。
adj.爱冒险的;惊心动魄的,惊险的,刺激的
- I was filled with envy at their adventurous lifestyle.我很羨慕他们敢于冒险的生活方式。
- He was predestined to lead an adventurous life.他注定要过冒险的生活。
vi.乘船,着手,从事,上飞机
- He is about to embark on a new business venture.他就要开始新的商业冒险活动。
- Many people embark for Europe at New York harbor.许多人在纽约港乘船去欧洲。
n.船舶;容器,器皿;管,导管,血管
- The vessel is fully loaded with cargo for Shanghai.这艘船满载货物驶往上海。
- You should put the water into a vessel.你应该把水装入容器中。
n.运气;v.偶然发生
- Some have the hap,some stick in the gap.有的人走运, 有的人倒霉。
- May your son be blessed by hap and happiness.愿你儿子走运幸福。
ad.快乐地, 高兴地
- She opened the door for me and threw herself in my arms, screaming joyously and demanding that we decorate the tree immediately. 她打开门,直扑我的怀抱,欣喜地喊叫着要马上装饰圣诞树。
- They came running, crying out joyously in trilling girlish voices. 她们边跑边喊,那少女的颤音好不欢快。 来自名作英译部分
同意,赞成( assent的过去式和过去分词 )
- The judge assented to allow the prisoner to speak. 法官同意允许犯人申辩。
- "No," assented Tom, "they don't kill the women -- they're too noble. “对,”汤姆表示赞同地说,“他们不杀女人——真伟大!
n.海员
- Experienced seamen will advise you about sailing in this weather. 有经验的海员会告诉你在这种天气下的航行情况。
- In the storm, many seamen wished they were on shore. 在暴风雨中,许多海员想,要是他们在陆地上就好了。
标签:
白鲸记