英语听书《白鲸记》第932期
英语课
Started from his slumbers 1, Ahab, face to face, saw the Parsee; 亚哈从睡梦里惊醒过来,跟那个祆教徒面面相觑;
and hooped 2 round by the gloom of the night they seemed the last men in a flooded world. 在那朦胧笼罩的夜空中,他们俩象是大洪水留下来的仅有两个人。
"I have dreamed it again," said he. "我又梦到了它,"他说。
Of the hearses? Have I not said, old man, that neither hearse nor coffin 3 can be thine? 梦到了灵车嘛?你这老人家,我不是跟你说过,灵车也好,棺材也好,都没有你的份儿吗?
And who are hearsed that die on the sea? 哪个死在海上的,还有灵车?
But I said, old man, that ere thou couldst die on this voyage, two hearses must verily be seen by thee on the sea; 不过,我说,老人家,你如果死在这趟航程上,那么死前一定真会让你见到海上有两只灵车;
the first not made by mortal hands; and the visible wood of the last one must be grown in America. 头一只可不是活人做出来的,另外一只却准是用出产在美国的肉眼看得到的木头做的。
Aye, aye! a strange sight that, Parsee! — a hearse and its plumes 4 floating over the ocean with the waves for the pall-bearers. 嗨,嗨!这倒是个奇观,老朋友:一只扎着羽毛的灵车漂洋过海,海浪做扶棺人。
Ha! Such a sight we shall not soon see. 哈!这样的景致我们倒不是马上就看得到咧。
Believe it or not, thou canst not die till it be seen, old man. 信不信由你,你一定要看到这东西以后才会死,老人家。
And what was that saying about thyself? 那么你自己呢?
Though it come to the last, I shall still go before thee thy pilot. 不过,到头来,我还要走在你前头,做你的引港人呢。
And when thou art so gone before — if that ever befall — then ere I can follow, thou must still appear to me, to pilot me still? — Was it not so? 既然你要先走了——如果是真的话——那么,在我跟着你走之前,你还一定要到我这边来,还要来领我去嘛?——是不是这样?
Well, then, did I believe all ye say, oh my pilot! 唔,那么,我就算相信你的话吧,我的领港人呵!
I have here two pledges that I shall yet slay 5 Moby Dick and survive it. 可是,我还得发两个誓,不是我杀倒莫比-迪克,就是它杀倒我。
睡眠,安眠( slumber的名词复数 )
- His image traversed constantly her restless slumbers. 他的形象一再闯进她的脑海,弄得她不能安睡。
- My Titan brother slumbers deep inside his mountain prison. Go. 我的泰坦兄弟就被囚禁在山脉的深处。
adj.以环作装饰的;带横纹的;带有环的
- Will the joint area with dense hooped reinforcement enhance the bearing capacity of the frame column? 节点区箍筋加密是否有利于框架柱承载能力的提高? 来自互联网
n.棺材,灵柩
- When one's coffin is covered,all discussion about him can be settled.盖棺论定。
- The coffin was placed in the grave.那口棺材已安放到坟墓里去了。
羽毛( plume的名词复数 ); 羽毛饰; 羽毛状物; 升上空中的羽状物
- The dancer wore a headdress of pink ostrich plumes. 那位舞蹈演员戴着粉色鸵鸟毛制作的头饰。
- The plumes on her bonnet barely moved as she nodded. 她点点头,那帽子的羽毛在一个劲儿颤动。
标签:
白鲸记