By Lisa Schlein Geneva 31 October 2006 The Sudanese Minister of Culture says the humanitarian situation in conflict-ridden Darfur is not as serious as it is usually painted in the media or by the United Nations. But U.N. aid agencies say they are no

发表于:2018-12-16 / 阅读(93) / 评论(0) 分类 2006年VOA标准英语(十月)

World markets were mixed Thursday due to investor concerns over the U.S. stimulus plan and more gloomy corporate news. In Britain, the Royal Bank of Scotland, or RBS, has posted the largest annual loss in U.K. corporate history with a $34 billion sh

发表于:2018-12-16 / 阅读(40) / 评论(0) 分类 VOA标准英语2009年(二月)

星期五晚上,Jason和Wanda劝同事Larry不要老加班,应该劳逸结合。Larry却说,手头总有做不完的工作。 L: But I feel like I'm wasting time if I go home and watch TV...even if I'm reading a good book I still feel like I sh

发表于:2018-12-25 / 阅读(44) / 评论(0) 分类 礼节美语

Chris向一家香港公司的老板Hank和部门主管Rebecca介绍申请国际认证的程序。Hank觉得有点麻烦,可Rebecca认为值得,因为拿到国际认证,在美国和欧洲做生意就可以畅通无阻了。Chris赞同Rebecca的看

发表于:2018-12-25 / 阅读(39) / 评论(0) 分类 礼节美语

公司老板召集手下Lisa和Ken开会,商量公司上市的问题。上市有哪些风险呢?Ken说, K: Well, the day we offer stock for sale is the day we will see how much faith there is in our company. If people don't think we're very val

发表于:2018-12-25 / 阅读(34) / 评论(0) 分类 礼节美语

David跟Sandra聊天,谈到办公室里的勾心斗角是难以避免的,所以只能想办法面对。Sandra 说, S: Maybe I need to toughen up. You know that old saying: If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. D: Maybe...but have

发表于:2018-12-25 / 阅读(43) / 评论(0) 分类 礼节美语

David在走廊上遇到同事Sandra,Sandra看上去很生气。 David: Hey Sandra, what's wrong? You look furious! Sandra: I've had it with Tim! I think I'm going to quit! D: But Sandra...you love your job! You spent months trying to get this posit

发表于:2018-12-25 / 阅读(48) / 评论(0) 分类 礼节美语

David跟Sandra聊天,说起自己以前有个同事,特别喜欢name-drop. David说, D: We would be in a meeting and she would say. Yesterday I was chatting with Tom. She meant Tom Solomon...our CEO. S: Basically she was trying to impress peopl

发表于:2018-12-25 / 阅读(47) / 评论(0) 分类 礼节美语

Gina带美国老板Jason去购物,Jason让Gina教他砍价。 Jason: So what's the general amount that they mark up by? Thirty percent? Forty? G: They could mark it up seventy percent or even one hundred! That's why you've got to have an in-depth w

发表于:2018-12-25 / 阅读(73) / 评论(0) 分类 礼节美语

Gina带美国老板Jason去购物,Jason让Gina教他砍价。 Jason: What about walking away? Some friends back home told me if I don't like the price, just walk away and the vendor will run out and give me their best price. G: (Chuckle) Oh...the v

发表于:2018-12-25 / 阅读(111) / 评论(0) 分类 礼节美语

王小姐到美国使馆签证,签证官Bob Jones受理她的申请。 B: Hello miss. Can I see your ticket number? W: Sure, here you are. And here are my application forms as well. B: Thank you miss...Wang. I'm Bob Jones and I'll be handling your

发表于:2018-12-25 / 阅读(75) / 评论(0) 分类 礼节美语

Lenny下班等公车遇到同事Susan , 问Susan明天要装扮成什么,问得Susan一头雾水。 Lenny: Hey Susan, what are you coming as this year? Susan: Coming as? L: Yeah...for Halloween! We have a big office party tomorrow evening. There's

发表于:2018-12-25 / 阅读(51) / 评论(0) 分类 礼节美语

很久不见的好友Lisa, Karen和Gina一起吃饭。三个人都说,现在手头很紧,彼此交换勤俭持家的经验。Karen 说, K: We've stopped going to the theater! We used to take the kids every Saturday, but with each ticket costing

发表于:2018-12-25 / 阅读(61) / 评论(0) 分类 礼节美语

Jerry要去中国出差,找同事Amy请教。 Jerry: Hey Amy...your family is from China, right? A:Yep. I was born and raised in Shanghai. Why do you ask? J: Well, I hope you don't mind...but I'm planning a business trip to China soon and I was won

发表于:2018-12-25 / 阅读(49) / 评论(0) 分类 礼节美语

三角洲通讯公司老板John Smith到银行申请贷款,接待他的是银行负责人Ted Johnson。 Johnson抱怨最近两年经济危机,贷款很难做,经常会迫不得已走法律程序,追缴贷款。 T: I do sympathize with people'

发表于:2018-12-25 / 阅读(43) / 评论(0) 分类 礼节美语

Mike出差刚回来,遇到同事Larry. Larry: Hey, Mike! Good to have you back! You look exhausted! Mike: Hi, Larry. Yeah, I'm totally beat. I can barely keep my eyes open! L: Was it a rough trip? M: Well, it was actually pretty productive, but all

发表于:2018-12-25 / 阅读(46) / 评论(0) 分类 礼节美语

Mike出差刚回来,被时差折磨得痛苦不堪,向同事Larry咨询缓解时差的好办法。Larry说, Larry: Some people take herbal medicine, but there's really no solid proof that it works. Some people take sleeping pills and try to sle

发表于:2018-12-25 / 阅读(56) / 评论(0) 分类 礼节美语

Barry召集公司同事开会,有个坏消息要宣布。 Barry: Well, folks...I'm afraid I have some bad news. Our lawyers told me this morning that we are being sued. Chris: Sued? Who's suing us? Susan: And on what grounds? B: An Australian man n

发表于:2018-12-25 / 阅读(28) / 评论(0) 分类 礼节美语

U.S. special envoy to Sudan Scott Gration returns to the African nation Wednesday for a five day visit. Gration heads to Sudan to continue his mediation of North-South negotiations and to travel to the devastated western region of Darfur. US special

发表于:2019-02-12 / 阅读(36) / 评论(0) 分类 VOA标准英语2009年(九月)

In the latest sign of the divisions within Kenya's governing coalition, the country's largest party says the power-sharing agreement binding the two main political factions together should be renegotiated. Kenya's President Mwai Kibaki (l) and oppos

发表于:2019-02-12 / 阅读(57) / 评论(0) 分类 VOA标准英语2009年(三月)