Hello and welcome to the VOA Learning English program Words and Their Stories. Everyone around the world celebrates the New Year differently and at different times. Most people in the U.S. celebrate it on January 1. But they may also observe New Year

发表于:2018-11-27 / 阅读(302) / 评论(0) 分类 2017年VOA慢速英语(十二)月

This is Scientific American's 60-Second Science. I'm Karen Hopkin. This will just take a minute. Breaking a mirror means seven years bad luck. So does spilling salt or meeting a black cat. Weve all heard such silly-sounding superstitions. Of course w

发表于:2018-12-24 / 阅读(56) / 评论(0) 分类 Scientific American(九)月

A: 欢迎大家来到这期的美语训练班! 我是杨琳! B: 我是Mike! 杨琳,来告诉大家今天都要学什么? A: 没问题! 今天,我们要聊聊美国的大学排名,看看西方人有什么迷信传统,还要告诉你怎么说短板

发表于:2018-12-25 / 阅读(58) / 评论(0) 分类 美语训练班

生活中有很多迷信的说法。你相信这些说法吗? Rob: Hello, I'm Rob. Alice: And I'm Alice. Rob: And this is 6 Minute English from the BBC. Today we're talking about superstitions. Superstition is the belief that certain events can bri

发表于:2018-12-27 / 阅读(68) / 评论(0) 分类 一起听英语

Best to leave quietly, and no reunions. Move on, look to the future. Plenty more faces out there. But as he made his decision, her mouth stretched open into a wide smile and without opening her eyes she said: So, what do you reckon, Dex? About what,

发表于:2018-12-31 / 阅读(30) / 评论(0) 分类 有声英语文学名著

Women Climb Africas Highest Mountain for a Cause A group of six women decided to climb Africas highest mountain in an effort to bring public attention to a physical condition they share. The women suffer from albinism, a genetic condition in which a

发表于:2019-01-03 / 阅读(69) / 评论(0) 分类 2018年VOA慢速英语(十)月

1. The Halloween celebration comes from All Hallows Day or All Saints Day, the 1st of November. This was originally a pagan festival of the dead, but later became a holiday to honor Christian saints。 万圣节的庆祝活动来源于每年11月1日的

发表于:2019-01-08 / 阅读(215) / 评论(0) 分类 节日英语

为什么西方人会觉得13是个不吉利的数字,你造吗? 1. THERE WERE 13 PEOPLE AT THE LAST SUPPER. 最后的晚餐里有13个人。 And tradition has held that the 13th to take their seat was either Judas or Jesus himself. 传统的说法是

发表于:2019-01-08 / 阅读(49) / 评论(0) 分类 英美文化

1. The Halloween celebration comes from All Hallows Day or All Saints Day, the 1st of November. This was originally a pagan festival of the dead, but later became a holiday to honor Christian saints. 万圣节的庆祝活动来源于每年11月1日的

发表于:2019-01-08 / 阅读(170) / 评论(0) 分类 英美文化

White's Ferry: Crossing the Potomac River for Hundreds of Years 白色的渡船:穿越波托马克河数百年 Welcome to American Mosaic from VOA Learning English. I'm Kelly Jean Kelly. On the show today, we play unlucky music in honor of Friday the

发表于:2019-01-12 / 阅读(207) / 评论(0) 分类 2013年VOA慢速英语(九)月

Larry带李华去打保龄,李华以前从来没打过。今天我们要学两个常用语: put your best foot forward和break a Leg. LL: Lihua, I feel a little dorky admitting this to you, but bowling is my favorite sport. LH: 保龄是你最喜欢

发表于:2019-01-15 / 阅读(37) / 评论(0) 分类 美国之音《流行美语》

I Just Call to Say I Love You《电话诉衷情》是电影《红衣女郎》(Woman in Red)的插曲,不仅在英美排行榜上都名居榜首,还获得了奥斯卡最佳电影插曲奖,成为家喻户晓的一首永恒恋曲,至今仍被广为传唱。它的演唱者史蒂威旺德是一个天生双目失明的人,他在27岁之前共

发表于:2019-02-02 / 阅读(113) / 评论(0) 分类 音乐咖啡厅

在西方国家,每年的10月31日,有个Halloween,辞典解释为The eve of All Saints'Day,中文译作:万圣节之夜。这一夜是一年中最闹鬼的一夜,所以也叫鬼节。Hallow 来源于中古英语halwen,与 holy 词源很

发表于:2019-02-06 / 阅读(49) / 评论(0) 分类 英语美文

[题目] Writes an essay, considering and assessing arguments for and against the following view: As reading is important for a good education, we should encourage our children to read whatever appeals to them. [范文] The famous English philosopher

发表于:2019-02-09 / 阅读(55) / 评论(0) 分类 GRE作文

Finding a four-leaf clover, carrying a rabbit's foot, and crossing your fingers are considered symbols of good luck by many. Athletes famously engage in superstitious ritualsbasketball legend Michael Jordan reportedly wore the same pair of shorts und

发表于:2019-02-17 / 阅读(66) / 评论(0) 分类 阅读空间

[题目] Writes an essay, considering and assessing arguments for and against the following view: As reading is important for a good education, we should encourage our children to read whatever appeals to them. [范文] The famous English philosopher

发表于:2019-02-18 / 阅读(40) / 评论(0) 分类 GRE作文

Online entertainment 网上娱乐 A craze too foreign 热潮太洋 China tries to restrict foreign entertainment online 中国要限制网上的国外娱乐产品 FOR young professionals in China's cities, watching television online has become a part

发表于:2019-02-24 / 阅读(58) / 评论(0) 分类 经济学人文艺系列

1. 最后的晚餐中的13门徒 Some Christian traditions have it that at the Last SupperJudas, the disciple who betrayed Jesus, was the 13th to sit at the table. 传说耶稣遇难前和弟子们共进了一次晚餐。参加晚餐的第13个人是耶

发表于:2019-03-02 / 阅读(104) / 评论(0) 分类 雅思英语

第一:宾语从句 Eg: Some people claim that government should be mainly responsible for the environmental pollution.一些人认为政府应对环境污染负主要责任。 第二:状语从句 在托福写作当中运用的最多的是以下五

发表于:2019-03-04 / 阅读(86) / 评论(0) 分类 托福英语

托福写作需要补充词汇和句子来提高托福作文的水平。但是,究竟要积累什么词汇和句子呢?接下来,小编和大家分享托福写作常用的10大句型,帮助考生提高托福写作内容,能够更好地提高托

发表于:2019-03-13 / 阅读(217) / 评论(0) 分类 托福英语