生活大爆炸第二季第一集_2:The Bad Fish Paradigm
时间:2019-01-01 作者:英语课 分类:生活大爆炸第二季
英语课
Sheldon: You thought the opposite of "stupid loser" was "community college graduate"?
opposite: 反面的
你认为"失败的笨蛋"的反义词是,社区大学毕业?
-Penny: You know, there are a lot of successful people in this country who are community college graduates.
我们国家有好多成功人士,都是社区大学毕业的。
-Sheldon: Yeah, but you are neither.
是啊,但你以上皆不是啊。
-Penny: Right. Okay, look, this is between you and me. You cannot tell Leonard any of this.
好吧,这次谈话你知我知,你千万不能跟Leonard说。
-Sheldon: You're asking me to keep a secret?
你在让我帮你保守秘密?
-Penny: Yeah.
是啊。
-Sheldon: Well, I'm sorry, but you would have had to express that desire before revealing the secret,
desire: 愿望,欲望 reveal: 显示,透露
我很抱歉,但... 但是你应该先说清楚啊。
so that I could choose whether or not I wanted to accept the covenant 1 of secret keeping.
covenant: 盟约,契约
好让我决定是听还是不听再来答应你啊;
You can't impose a secret on an ex post facto basis.
impose: 强加 ex post facto: 事后地, 追溯地
你不能事后再告诉人家这是秘密啊。
-Penny: What?
什么?
-Sheldon: Secret keeping is a complicated endeavor. One has to be concerned not only
about what one says, but about facial expressions, autonomic reflexes.
complicated: 复杂的 endeavor: 努力,尽力 facial expression: 面部表情 facial: 面部的 autonomic: 自治的,自律的 reflex: 反射
保密是个复杂的过程,保密的人不仅要注意自己的言辞,还要注意面部表情,下意识的反应。
When I try to deceive, I myself have more nervous tics than a Lyme disease research facility. It’s a joke.
Deceive: 欺骗 facility: 设备
我撒谎的时候,身上紧张的”虱子” 要比一台莱姆病研究设备还多,这是个笑话。
It relies on the homonymic 2 relationship between “tick,” the bloodsucking arachnid 3, and “tic,” the involuntary muscular contraction 4.
rely on: 信赖,依靠 homonymic: 同音异义字的,同名的 bloodsucking: 吸血的 arachnid: 属于蜘蛛类的节肢动物 involuntary: 自然而然的 contraction: 收缩
只是同音不同义,tick是指吸血蜘蛛,而tic是肌肉自然的抽动,
I made it up myself.
make up: 编造
我自己编的。
-Penny: Okay, look, if Leonard finds out that I lied, I will absolutely die of embarrassment 5.
absolutely: 绝对地 embarrassment: 尴尬
如果Leonard发现我撒谎了,我会因尴尬而死的。
-Sheldon: Physiologically 6 impossible.
physiologically: 生理上
从生理上说,不可能的事情。
-Penny: Oh, Sheldon, please. Look, I am asking you as a friend.
Sheldon 拜托了,我是在向你请求朋友的帮助。
-Sheldon: So you're saying that friendship contains within it an inherent obligation to maintain confidences?
inherent: 内在的,固有的 obligation: 义务
那么你是说朋友之间就应该为彼此保密?
-Penny: Well, yeah.
对啊。
-Sheldon: Interesting. One more question, and perhaps I should have led with this. When did we become friends?
真有意思。还有一个问题,也许我应该这样问:我们啥时候成朋友了?
-Sheldon: i.e., I couldn't become Green Lantern unless I was chosen by the Guardians 7 of Oa,
也就是说,除非被OA星的守护者选中;否则我就不会成为"绿灯侠"。
but given enough start-up capital and an adequate research facility, I could be Batman.
start-up: 启动 adequate: 足够的 research facility: 研究设备
但是拥有足够的资金和一些优良的设备,我就能当"蝙蝠侠"了。
-Leonard: You could be Batman?
你能当蝙蝠侠?
-Sheldon: Sure. I'm Batman. See?
当然啦,我就是蝙-蝠-侠。怎么样?
-Penny: Hi, guys.
嘿,伙计们。
-Leonard: Hey.
嗨。
-Sheldon: Hi, Penny.
你好,Penny。
-Leonard: Penny, if you're not doing anything Friday night, I thought maybe we could go
to see a movie.
Penny,如果这周五你没事的话,我们去看场电影如何?
-Penny: Oh, um, you know, I think I have the dinner shift on Friday.
shift: 移动,转变
噢,周五我晚餐时间要上班。
-Leonard: Okay, what about Saturday?
好的,那周六呢?
-Penny: You know, I'm not sure; the manager hasn't posted the schedule yet. How about
let you know?
schedule: 时间表
我也不清楚啊,经理还没排好班呢,我会告诉你的。
-Leonard: Great. Okay. So you just let me know when you know. Okay, so... Oh, God, I am the bad fish.
你一知道就要告诉我啊。好吧,那... 天哪,我就是那"臭鱼"。
-Leonard: What did I do wrong?
我做错了什么啊?
-Sheldon: Why are you asking me? I have no information about your interactions with Penny other than what you have provided me,
interaction: 相互作用,相互影响 other than: 除了
问我干什么?我可不知道任何你和Penny的事情;除了你自己告诉我的,
nor do I have any method of learning such things.
其他的我怎么可能知道?
-Leonard: What does that mean?
那是啥意思?
-Sheldon: Nothing. You seem to be implying an informational back-channel between me and Penny where obviously none exists.
imply: 暗示 obviously: 明显地
没啥意思,你说得好象我和Penny私下里互通有无一样,可明显根本就没有!
-Leonard: No, I didn't. I just think you need to be careful how you phrase things, sir.
phrase: 表达,叙述
我可不是这么想的,我觉得你该注意自己的表达方式了,伙计。
-Leonard: What's going on with you?
What's going on with you: 你怎么了?【口语常用语】
你到底怎么了?
-Sheldon: I might ask you the same question. Why do you insist on attempting to drag me into matters which have nothing to do with me?
insist on: 坚持 attempt to: 企图,试图 drag into: 把……拉进
我还正想问你呢,你为什么不停的想把我拉下水,这些事跟我没有一点关系,
but exist between you and Penny, a person to whom I barely speak?
barely: 几乎不
都是你和Penny之间的事情,而我跟她都不怎么说话。
-Leonard: What's wrong with your face?
你的脸怎么了?
-Sheldon: There's no reason to bring my looks into this. Good day, Leonard.
没什么东西把我弄成"这样",祝你愉快,Leonard。
-Leonard: What?
啥?
-Penny: I said, "Good day."
我说祝你愉快。
-Leonard: Good day?
祝你愉快?
-Penny: Also today, we have a fresh-caught Alaska salmon 8, and that's served with a teriyaki glaze 9 and sticky rice. Our soup of the day is...
salmon: 三文鱼 teriyaki: 红烧的 glaze: 釉,覆罩的一层 sticky: 粘的,粘性的
今天我们还有新鲜的阿拉斯加三文鱼,淋上照烧酱配糯米饭,今天的汤是...
-Sheldon: You must release me from my oath.
release: 释放 oath: 誓言
你必须解除我的誓约。
-Penny: Sheldon, I'm working.
Sheldon,我在工作。
-Sheldon: Why don't you take a minute to decide?
你们可以慢慢决定。
-Penny: Oh, my...
天。
-Sheldon: I can't keep your secret, Penny. I'm going to fold like an energy-based de novo
protein in conformational space.
keep the/a secret: 保守秘密 fold: 折叠 protein: 蛋白质 de novo : (拉)重新;更始
conformational: 构造的
Penny,我没法帮你保密了我就快像构象空间里的内源蛋白一样折叠了,
Like a Renaissance 10 tryptich. Like a cheap suit.
renaissance:文艺复兴
就像文艺复兴时期的三联画屏(折叠的) ,像套便宜西装。
-Penny: Look, why is it so hard for you to keep one little secret?
我说叫你保守一个小秘密就那么难吗?
-Sheldon: I'm constitutionally incapable 11. That's why I was refused clearance 12 for a very prestigious 13 government research fellowship
constitutionally: 本质地,天生,体质上 incapable: 本质地,天生,体质上 prestigious: 享有声望的 fellowship: 奖学金
我天生做不到,所以之前我才申请不到那个由政府设立奖学金,
at a secret military supercollider located beneath a fake agricultural station 12.5 miles southeast of Traverse City, Michigan,
supercollider: 超对撞机 beneath: 在…下面 fake: 假的 agricultural: 农业的
隐藏在密歇根Traverse城东南面12.5英里处的农业中心地下的机密军用超级对撞机的项目。
which you did not hear about from me.
你什么都没听到。
-Penny: Look, just forget I told you about me... not graduating from community college, okay?
听着,你就把我说过不是从社区大学毕业,这件事忘了不行吗?
-Sheldon: Forget? You want me to forget? This mind does not forget.
忘掉? 你要我忘掉? 这个脑袋不会忘记。
I haven't forgotten a single thing since the day my mother stopped breastfeeding me. It was a drizzly 14 Tuesday.
breastfeeding: 母乳喂养 drizzly: 下毛毛雨的
从我断奶那一天开始的任何事情我都没忘记,那是个下着毛毛雨的星期二。
-Penny: Okay... Look, you promised me you would keep my secret, so you're just gonna have to figure out a way to do it.
好了,听着,你答应会为我保密的,那你就得自己想办法做到这一点。
-Sheldon: Lenorad, I'm moving out.
Lenorad,我要搬出去了。
-Leonard: what do you mean you're moving out? Why?
什么叫你要搬出去? 为什么?
-Sheldon: There doesn't have to be a reason.
这不需要什么理由。
-Leonard: Yeah, there kinda does.
kinda=kind of
不,需要点什么的。
-Sheldon: Not necessarily. This is a classic example of Munchausen's Trilemma.
classic: 经典的 Trilemma: n. 三难选择的窘境;三难困境;[逻]三难推理
没有那个必要,这是Munchausen三难问题的经典范例。
Either the reason is predicated on a series of sub-reasons leading to an infinite regression,
predict: 预知,预言,预报 series: 连续,系列 lead to: 导致infinite: 无限循的 regression: 回归
要么是一个依赖于一串子逻辑,导致无限循回的推理;
or it tracks back to arbitrary axiomatic 15 statements, or it's ultimately circular, i.e. I'm moving out because I'm moving out.
arbitrary: 任意的 axiomatic: 公理的 ultimate: 最后的 circular: 循环的
要么就是一切逆向推理回到一个任意公理,要么一切根本就是一个循环。即:因为我要搬出去所以我要搬出去。
-Leonard: I'm still confused.
confuse: 混乱,狼狈,困惑
我还是不明白。
-Sheldon: Leonard, I don't see how I could have made it any simpler.
Leonard,我不知道怎么才能说得更简单了。
-Howard: Hey, qu'est que s'up?
嘿!你们好吗?
-Raj: We just got back from that exhibit of those plasticized human cadavers 17.
exhibit: 展览品 plasticize: 增塑 cadaver 16: 尸体
我们刚从那个塑化的尸体模型展览回来。
-Howard: And some of those skinless chicks were Hot!
那边一些剥了皮的美女实在是性感极了!
-Sheldon: If you'll excuse me, I'm going to pack.
你们不介意的话我去打包了。
-Howard: That's kind of an overreaction to a little harmless necrophilia.
overreaction: 反应过度 harmless: 无害的 necrophilia: 恋尸癖
反应过度了吧,只不过是一点无害的恋尸癖而已。
-Leonard: It's not you, Howard. He says he's moving out.
不是因为你。Howard,他说要搬出去。
-Raj: What did you do? Did you change the contrast or brightness settings on the television?
contrast: 对比度 brightness: 亮度
你干了什么?重调了电视的亮度或者对比度?
-Leonard: No.
没有。
-Howard: Did you take a Band-Aid off in front of him?
Band-Aid: n. [商标]邦迪创可贴
在他面前撕创可贴?
-Leonard: No.
没有。
-Howard: Did you buy generic 18 ketchup 19, forget to rinse 20 the sink, talk to him through the bathroom door?
generic: 一般的,普通的,共有的 ketchup: 蕃茄酱等 rinse: 清洗
买了天然番茄酱,忘了刷水池,或者从浴室里和他说话?
-Raj: Adjust the thermostat 21, cook with cilantro, pronounce the "t" in often?
thermostat: 恒温计 cilantro: 芫荽叶
乱调温度计,烧饭用香菜,还是说often的时候发了"t"的音?
-Leonard: No.
没有。
-Howard: Did you make fun of trains?
你开火车的玩笑了?
-Leonard: No, I didn't do anything. He's just gone insane.
insane: 疯狂的,精神错乱的
没有,我什么都没干,他就是发疯了。
-Raj: Well, we all knew this day was coming.
哦,我们都知道总会有这一天的。
-Leonard: Well, that was fast.
收拾这么快。
-Sheldon: It's my pre-packed disaster evacuation bag. It's recommended by the Department of Homeland Security. And Sarah Connor.
evacuation: 撤离,疏散 recommend: 推荐 department: 部门
这是我事先准备的紧急疏散包,是国土安全部推荐过的,还有Sarah Connor(终结者女主角)。
-Leonard: Where are you going to live?
你准备去哪里住?
-Sheldon: Until I find a permanent place, I will stay with friends.
permanent: 固定的
我去朋友那里,直到找到固定住所为止。
-Howard: Bye.
再见。
-Raj: Well... you can't stay with me. I have a teeny-tiny apartment.
teeny: 极小的(微小的) apartment: 公寓
你不能和我住,我那里只有一丁点大。
-Sheldon: Excuse me, but isn't hosting guests an aspect of "manushya yajna," one of the five central religious duties or sacrifices of the Hindu householder?
aspect: 方面 religious: 宗教的 sacrifice: 牺牲 Hindu: 印度人(的)
不好意思, 热情待客难道不是manushya yajna的一个方面吗? 那不是印度教家庭的五大宗教戒律之一么?
n.盟约,契约;v.订盟约
- They refused to covenant with my father for the property.他们不愿与我父亲订立财产契约。
- The money was given to us by deed of covenant.这笔钱是根据契约书付给我们的。
n.蛛形纲动物
- I want that wall-crawling arachnid prosecuted!我要起诉那个在墙上爬的八脚怪物!
- The tiny arachnid,found in Australia,shows off a rainbow of colours to impress nearby females.这只在澳大利亚的小蜘蛛,向附近的雌性炫耀其华丽的色彩。
n.缩略词,缩写式,害病
- The contraction of this muscle raises the lower arm.肌肉的收缩使前臂抬起。
- The forces of expansion are balanced by forces of contraction.扩张力和收缩力相互平衡。
n.尴尬;使人为难的人(事物);障碍;窘迫
- She could have died away with embarrassment.她窘迫得要死。
- Coughing at a concert can be a real embarrassment.在音乐会上咳嗽真会使人难堪。
ad.生理上,在生理学上
- Therefore, the liver and gallbladder cannot be completely separated physiologically and pathologically. 因此,肝胆在生理和病理上不能完全分离。
- Therefore, the liver and gallbladder are closely related physiologically and pathologically. 因此,肝胆在生理和病理上紧密联系。
监护人( guardian的名词复数 ); 保护者,维护者
- Farmers should be guardians of the countryside. 农民应是乡村的保卫者。
- The police are guardians of law and order. 警察是法律和秩序的护卫者。
n.鲑,大马哈鱼,橙红色的
- We saw a salmon jumping in the waterfall there.我们看见一条大马哈鱼在那边瀑布中跳跃。
- Do you have any fresh salmon in at the moment?现在有新鲜大马哈鱼卖吗?
v.因疲倦、疲劳等指眼睛变得呆滞,毫无表情
- Brush the glaze over the top and sides of the hot cake.在热蛋糕的顶上和周围刷上一层蛋浆。
- Tang three-color glaze horses are famous for their perfect design and realism.唐三彩上釉马以其造型精美和形态生动而著名。
n.复活,复兴,文艺复兴
- The Renaissance was an epoch of unparalleled cultural achievement.文艺复兴是一个文化上取得空前成就的时代。
- The theme of the conference is renaissance Europe.大会的主题是文艺复兴时期的欧洲。
adj.无能力的,不能做某事的
- He would be incapable of committing such a cruel deed.他不会做出这么残忍的事。
- Computers are incapable of creative thought.计算机不会创造性地思维。
n.净空;许可(证);清算;清除,清理
- There was a clearance of only ten centimetres between the two walls.两堵墙之间只有十厘米的空隙。
- The ship sailed as soon as it got clearance. 那艘船一办好离港手续立刻启航了。
adj.有威望的,有声望的,受尊敬的
- The young man graduated from a prestigious university.这个年轻人毕业于一所名牌大学。
- You may even join a prestigious magazine as a contributing editor.甚至可能会加入一个知名杂志做编辑。
a.毛毛雨的(a drizzly day)
- This section of the country is drizzly in the winter. 该国的这一地区在冬天经常细雨蒙蒙。
- That region is drizzly in winter. 那个地区冬天常下小雨。
adj.不需证明的,不言自明的
- It is axiomatic that life is not always easy.生活并不总是一帆风顺,这是明摆着的事实。
- It is axiomatic that as people grow older they generally become less agile.人年纪越大通常灵活性越差,这是不言而喻的。
n.尸体
- Examination of a cadaver is to determine the cause of death.尸体解剖是为了确认死亡原因。
- He looked down again at the gaping mouth of the cadaver.他的眼光不由自主地又落到了死人张大的嘴上。
n.尸体( cadaver的名词复数 )
- Human cadavers were the only known source of hGH, and demand was intense. 人类尸体是hGH已知的惟一来源,而且需求广泛。 来自英汉非文学 - 生命科学 - 口蹄疫疯牛病
- Will there be enough cadavers for each group this term? 这个学期每一个组都有足够的尸体吗? 来自电影对白
adj.一般的,普通的,共有的
- I usually buy generic clothes instead of name brands.我通常买普通的衣服,不买名牌。
- The generic woman appears to have an extraordinary faculty for swallowing the individual.一般妇女在婚后似乎有特别突出的抑制个性的能力。
n.蕃茄酱,蕃茄沙司
- There's a spot of ketchup on the tablecloth.桌布上有一点番茄酱的渍斑。
- Could I have some ketchup and napkins,please?请给我一些番茄酱和纸手巾?
v.用清水漂洗,用清水冲洗
- Give the cup a rinse.冲洗一下杯子。
- Don't just rinse the bottles. Wash them out carefully.别只涮涮瓶子,要仔细地洗洗里面。
n.恒温器
- The thermostat is connected by a link to the carburetor.恒温控制器是由一根连杆与汽化器相连的。
- The temperature is controlled by electronic thermostat with high accuracy.电子恒温器,准确性高。
标签:
生活大爆炸