Some hunters had a box of safety-pins. 有些猎人随身会带一盒安全别针。 The Blacks begged for the pins, and when they were given to them they pinned them through their noses. 黑人向他们讨要别针,讨到后,就别在自己鼻子上

发表于:2019-01-24 / 阅读(36) / 评论(0) 分类 美国学生世界地理教材

I have a peculiar stick and I often ask people to guess what it is made of. 我有一根奇特的棍子,我常常让人猜它是什么做的, They usually say horn or hard rubber. for it will bend. 一般都回答是用动物角或硬橡胶做的,

发表于:2019-01-24 / 阅读(47) / 评论(0) 分类 美国学生世界地理教材

Almost every animal makes some kind of sound. It may be his language. 几乎所有的动物都会发出某种声音,那也许就是动物的语言。 He barks, moos, clucks, bleats, mews, whinnies, croaks, roars, grunts, cries, snarls, chirps, scre

发表于:2019-01-24 / 阅读(44) / 评论(0) 分类 美国学生世界地理教材

In the capital of Burmaa city called Rangoonis one of the largest and most wonderful of these pagodas. 在缅甸的首都一个名叫仰光的城市,有全世界最大最美的佛塔之一, This pagoda is called the Shwe Dagon Pagoda. 这个塔叫大

发表于:2019-01-24 / 阅读(46) / 评论(0) 分类 美国学生世界地理教材

Trappers hunt these animals just for their furs, to be made into coats to keep people warm. 捕兽者猎杀这些动物就是为了获取它们的皮毛,用来做保暖的大衣。 One small animal, called the ermine, has a snow-white coat and a ta

发表于:2019-01-24 / 阅读(51) / 评论(0) 分类 美国学生世界地理教材

Most thermometers have numbers down to forty degrees (40) below zero. There the numbers stop, 大部分温度计向下标出的度数最低是零下40度,在零下40度这儿数字就停止了, for when the mercury gets down to that point it free

发表于:2019-01-24 / 阅读(31) / 评论(0) 分类 美国学生世界地理教材

In Tehran is the most famous jeweled throne in the World. It is called the Peacock Throne. 德黑兰有世界上最著名的宝石御座,叫做孔雀宝座。 It is made of solid gold and the back is in the form of a peacock's tail studded with rub

发表于:2019-01-24 / 阅读(33) / 评论(0) 分类 美国学生世界地理教材

On my wife's dressing-table is a small thin bottle of perfume called attar of roses. 我妻子的梳妆台上有一小细瓶叫玫瑰油的香水。 In some parts of Persia they grow the most beautiful and fragrant roses and from their petals this pe

发表于:2019-01-24 / 阅读(92) / 评论(0) 分类 美国学生世界地理教材

The Mohammedans have commandments as the Christians do. We have ten; 和基督教一样,伊斯兰教也有戒律。基督教有十条戒律, they have four or more. One of their commandments is to pray five times a day; 伊斯兰教至少有四条戒

发表于:2019-01-24 / 阅读(104) / 评论(0) 分类 美国学生世界地理教材

Have you ever been thirstyreally thirsty? Very few people in our country ever have. 你感到口渴过吗真的很渴的那种感觉?在我们国家很少有人感到口很渴。 Have you ever gone for more than one whole day without a drink of wat

发表于:2019-01-24 / 阅读(121) / 评论(0) 分类 美国学生世界地理教材

Ever since the temple was destroyed Jews have gone there to weep and to pray that their country, which the ancient Romans took from them, would be restored to them. It is called the Wailing Wall. 自从圣殿被摧毁之后,犹太人常来此哭泣并

发表于:2019-01-24 / 阅读(128) / 评论(0) 分类 美国学生世界地理教材

Here are some of the other pictures which the Japanese boys sent me: 以下是日本男孩寄给我的其他一些图画: A street scene in Tokyo 东京街景 Tokyo is the capital and largest city of Japan and one of the largest cities. 东京是日本

发表于:2019-01-25 / 阅读(98) / 评论(0) 分类 美国学生世界地理教材

But at a cost: he lost so many of his men that he is said to have cried out, One more such victory and we are lost! 但是代价很大:他的士兵战死的有如此之多以至据说他曾说:第二个这样的胜利我再也承受不了了! Whi

发表于:2019-01-29 / 阅读(52) / 评论(0) 分类 世界小史

The idea that each sign might represent one sound, 每个符号表示一个音, and that just 26 of those signs were all you needed to write every conceivable word, 二十六个这样的符号就是你所有需要的去写每个可以想象的单词:

发表于:2019-01-29 / 阅读(43) / 评论(0) 分类 世界小史

They wrote on long strips of this papyrus, which were then rolled up into scrolls. 他们写在这种莎草纸的长条片上,然后卷成书卷。 A whole heap of these scrolls has survived. 一大堆这样的书卷被保存下来了。 And when w

发表于:2019-01-29 / 阅读(45) / 评论(0) 分类 世界小史

Only rarely in the course of all that time did people turn against this strict conformity. 在这整个漫长的时期中人们只对这种严格的老一套反对过两次。 Once was shortly after the reign of King Cheops, about 2,100 BC, when the

发表于:2019-01-29 / 阅读(37) / 评论(0) 分类 世界小史

There are seven days in a week. 一星期有七天。 I don't need to tell you their names because you know them already. 我不必告诉你他们的名字因为你已经知道了。 But have you any idea where and when it was that the days were each

发表于:2019-01-29 / 阅读(51) / 评论(0) 分类 世界小史

Picture a vast plain, crossed by these two rivers. 你想象一个极其辽阔的平原,这两条河流经这个平原。 A land of heat and swamp and sudden floods. 这个平原上的土地又热又湿,有时洪水突如其来。 Here and there

发表于:2019-01-29 / 阅读(44) / 评论(0) 分类 世界小史

Unlike Egypt, Mesopotamia was rarely ruled by just one king. 美索不达米亚(两河流域)不像埃及,它很少由一位国王统治,Nor did any single empire survive long within firm frontiers. 也没有一个王朝的统治延续长久、

发表于:2019-01-29 / 阅读(71) / 评论(0) 分类 世界小史

One of the first Babylonian kings to rule over the whole region left a long and important inscription, engraved in stone. 统治全国的头一批巴比伦国王中有一个国王留下了一段这样的重要铭文,它被凿在一块石头上。 I

发表于:2019-01-29 / 阅读(57) / 评论(0) 分类 世界小史