One of the jobs that elephants are used for is hauling, lifting, and loading the heavy logs of teak. 大象常干的工作之一就是帮助装卸这些沉重的柚木木料。 I thought I should like to have an elephant myself, so I bought a nice on

发表于:2019-01-24 / 阅读(38) / 评论(0) 分类 美国学生世界地理教材

The Buddhists believe that when they die their souls go into the bodies of animals. 佛教徒相信自己死后灵魂会进入动物体内, The kings' souls they think go into the bodies of white elephants, so in Thailand the White Elephant is sacr

发表于:2019-01-24 / 阅读(41) / 评论(0) 分类 美国学生世界地理教材

India is the country that Columbus was trying to reach by going the other way around the World. 印度是哥伦布试图朝另一方向作环球旅行而期望能到达的国家。 When he bumped into America he thought he had reached India, so he ca

发表于:2019-01-24 / 阅读(52) / 评论(0) 分类 美国学生世界地理教材

The fire-worshipers' chief god was called Mazda and that is where we get the name for our electric-light bulbs. 拜火教徒信仰的主神是玛兹达,这就是我们的电灯泡借用的名字。 According to their religion, everything that was l

发表于:2019-01-24 / 阅读(45) / 评论(0) 分类 美国学生世界地理教材

I have told you of a White Sea and a Black Sea. Here is a Red Sea. It is a long, narrow sea bordering Arabia. 我介绍过白海和黑海,现在要讲红海了,它是与阿拉伯毗连的一个狭长的海。 I don't know why it's called Red, unl

发表于:2019-01-24 / 阅读(86) / 评论(0) 分类 美国学生世界地理教材

Once upon a time there was a king in the old days long ago when kings could put to death whomsoever they wished. 在很久以前的古代,国王可以任意处死他不喜欢的人。 This king had a wife whom he was going to put to death the next

发表于:2019-01-24 / 阅读(103) / 评论(0) 分类 美国学生世界地理教材

This mud is very rich soil in which the Egyptians grow wheat and a very fine kind of cotton. 这种泥土成了非常肥沃的土壤,埃及人就在上面种植小麦和一种优质棉花。 In the olden times the Nile used to overflow the banks on

发表于:2019-01-25 / 阅读(105) / 评论(0) 分类 美国学生世界地理教材

A pickled man is called a mummy, and the mummies of many such rulers of Egypt are now in museums. 一个用防腐剂处理后的人叫做木乃伊。许多这样的木乃伊埃及曾经的统治者现在就存放在博物馆里。 One of the Seven Wo

发表于:2019-01-25 / 阅读(100) / 评论(0) 分类 美国学生世界地理教材

A picture of two Japanese carrying a big bucket on a pole which rests on their shoulders. 两个日本人用一根杆子抬着一个大水桶, In the tubI couldn't see them but I knewthere are live fish. 画中那只桶里虽然我看不见,但是我

发表于:2019-01-25 / 阅读(108) / 评论(0) 分类 美国学生世界地理教材

It would never have occurred to the Romans to do what Alexander the Great had done. 罗马人从未有过类似于亚历山大大帝那样的想法。 They had no wish to turn the lands they conquered into a single, vast empire in which everyone was

发表于:2019-01-29 / 阅读(40) / 评论(0) 分类 世界小史

His father once bought a beautiful stallion that no one could tame. 有一次他父亲买了一匹特别漂亮的公马,谁也驯服不了这匹马,His name was Bucephalus. Whenever anyone tried to mount him they were thrown off. 这匹马叫布克

发表于:2019-01-29 / 阅读(47) / 评论(0) 分类 世界小史

But at the time I am going to talk about, around 2,500 years ago,我要讲述的那个时期里,大约在公元前2500年,all this was yet to come, though China was already a vast and ancient kingdom. 这一切还全都没有,虽然当时的中国

发表于:2019-01-29 / 阅读(50) / 评论(0) 分类 世界小史

You may know how the story goes on: how there was a famine throughout the land, and how Joseph's brothers traveled to Egypt to buy corn. 你知道,这故事后来如何继续,一场大饥荒如何肆虐全国以及约瑟的兄长们如何进入富庶

发表于:2019-01-29 / 阅读(35) / 评论(0) 分类 世界小史

But that isn't all the Bible has to say about ancient Babylon. 但是这不是《圣经》所讲述的有关巴比伦的唯一的一件事。 Do you know the story of the Tower of Babel, 你知道得巴别塔的故事吗? when the people of a great

发表于:2019-01-29 / 阅读(42) / 评论(0) 分类 世界小史

You may have already guessed who these strange and powerless herdsmen were. 也许你已经猜到了,这个奇怪的、弱小的游牧民族是谁。 They were the Jews. 他们就是犹太人。 And the songs of their deeds, which were the deeds of

发表于:2019-01-29 / 阅读(33) / 评论(0) 分类 世界小史

And finally, after long, cruel and bloody battles, they succeeded. 经过长期残忍的流血战斗,他们终于成功了。 So now they had their own small kingdom, with its capital: Jerusalem. 就这样,他们有了一个自己的小小的国家

发表于:2019-01-29 / 阅读(53) / 评论(0) 分类 世界小史

Speaking of labyrinths, have you ever heard the story of the evil Minotaur, half man, half bull, 说到迷宫,你听说过凶恶的人身牛首怪物的传说吗?他一半是人一半是公牛, who lived in a labyrinth and made the Greeks send

发表于:2019-01-29 / 阅读(57) / 评论(0) 分类 世界小史

下载MP3到电脑 批量下载MP3和LRC到手机 英中对照 中英对照 英文在前 中文在前 只看英文 只看中文 He read Homer over and over again, and longed to see all the beautiful places described by the poet. 此人反复阅读荷马

发表于:2019-01-29 / 阅读(45) / 评论(0) 分类 世界小史

The ancient temples were shut down, and King Akhenaton and his wife moved into a new palace. 古老的庙宇被关闭,阿肯纳顿和他的妻子一道迁进一座新宫殿。 Since he was utterly opposed to tradition, and in favor of fine new idea

发表于:2019-01-29 / 阅读(46) / 评论(0) 分类 世界小史

All other peoples prayed to many godsyou remember Isis and Osiris, Baal and Astarte. 所有其他的民族全都向许多的神祈祷你还记得伊西斯和俄西里斯,巴尔和阿斯塔耳忒吧。 But these herdsmen only prayed to one god, thei

发表于:2019-01-29 / 阅读(37) / 评论(0) 分类 世界小史