英语听书《海底两万里》第139期 第10章 水中人(10)
时间:2019-02-17 作者:英语课 分类:《海底两万里》中英双语有声读物
英语课
Pardon me, sir, I went on, but that's merely the freedom that every prisoner has, the freedom to pace his cell! That's not enough for us.
请原谅,先生,这种自由不过是国徒可以在监狱中走动的自由!这种自由对于我们并不够。
Nevertheless, it will have to do!
可是,对这种自由你们应当感到满足了。
What! We must give up seeing our homeland, friends, and relatives ever again?
什么! 我们将永不能再见我们的祖国,我们的朋友,我们的亲人吗?
Yes, sir. But giving up that intolerable earthly yoke 1 that some men call freedom is perhaps less painful than you think!
是的,先生,这不过是使您不再受那世俗的束缚罢了。这种束缚,人们还以为是自由,抛弃了它,不至于像你们所想象的那么难受吧!
By thunder! Ned Land shouted. I'll never promise I won't try getting out of here!
好家伙!尼德·兰喊道,我决不能保证我以后不想法逃走!
I didn't ask for such a promise, Mr. Land, the commander replied coldly.
尼德·兰师傅,我井没有要您保证。船长冷淡地回答。
Sir, I replied, flaring 2 up in spite of myself, you're taking unfair advantage of us! This is sheer cruelty!
先生,我说,我不由自主地生气了,您倚势欺人!太蛮横了!
No, sir, it's an act of mercy! You're my prisoners of war! I've cared for you when, with a single word, I could plunge 3 you back into the ocean depths! You attacked me!
不,先生,这不是蛮横,这是仁慈!你们是我在战斗以后的俘虏!那时,我只要说一句话就能把你们送到海底下去,但是我留下你们!你们攻击过我!
You've just stumbled on a secret no living man must probe, the secret of my entire existence!
你们盗窃了世上任何人都不应该知道的一种秘密,就是我一生的秘密!
n.轭;支配;v.给...上轭,连接,使成配偶
- An ass and an ox,fastened to the same yoke,were drawing a wagon.驴子和公牛一起套在轭上拉车。
- The defeated army passed under the yoke.败军在轭门下通过。
a.火焰摇曳的,过份艳丽的
- A vulgar flaring paper adorned the walls. 墙壁上装饰着廉价的花纸。
- Goebbels was flaring up at me. 戈塔尔当时已对我面呈愠色。