英语听书《海底两万里》第177期 第12章 一切都用电(10)
时间:2019-02-25 作者:英语课 分类:《海底两万里》中英双语有声读物
英语课
Meanwhile I examined the Nautilus's engine with a fascination 1 easy to imagine.
这时我以极大的兴趣研究着诺第留斯号的机器设备。
You observe, Captain Nemo told me, that I use Bunsen cells, not Ruhmkorff cells. The latter would be ineffectual.
您看,尼摩船长对我说,我用的是本生电池的装置,不是兰可夫电池的装置,后一种电力不强。
One uses fewer Bunsen cells, but they're big and strong, and experience has proven their superiority.
本生电池的装置虽然简单,但电力很强,经验证明,确实如此。
The electricity generated here makes its way to the stern, where electromagnets of huge size activate 2 a special system of levers and gears that transmit movement to the propeller's shaft 3.
产生出来的电传到后面,使面积很大的电磁铁对杠杆和轮齿组成的特殊机构所起的作用,转动推进器的轮轴,全船于是就走动了。
The latter has a diameter of 6 meters, a pitch of 7.5 meters, and can do up to 120 revolutions per minute.
推进器的直径是六米,涡轮的直径是七米半,每秒钟可转一百二十转。
And that gives you?
那您可以达到的最大速度是多少呢?
A speed of fifty miles per hour.
可以有一小时五十海里的高速度。
There lay a mystery, but I didn't insist on exploring it. How could electricity work with such power?
其中有一个秘密,但我并不坚持要知道。电怎能发生这么强大的力量呢?
Where did this nearly unlimited 4 energy originate? Was it in the extraordinary voltage obtained from some new kind of induction 5 coil?
这种差不多无限制的力量是从哪里得来的呢?这是从一种新型的变压器所造成的高电压中得来的吗?
Could its transmission have been immeasurably increased by some unknown system of levers?This was the point I couldn't grasp.
还是从一种秘密的杠杆机构可以无限制的增强的转动中得来的呢?这是我不能理解的问题。
Captain Nemo, I said, I'll vouch 6 for the results and not try to explain them.
尼摩船长,我说,我看到摆在面前的事实,我不想求得这些事实的说明。
I've seen the Nautilus at work out in front of the Abraham Lincoln, and I know where I stand on its speed. But it isn't enough just to move, we have to see where we're going!
我看见了诺第留斯号在林肯号前面行驶的力量,我就知道它的速度了。但只能使它走动是不够的,我们还要能看见它向哪里走去!
We must be able to steer 7 right or left, up or down! How do you reach the lower depths, where you meet an increasing resistance that's assessed in hundreds of atmospheres?
我们还要能指挥它向左、向右、向上、向下!您怎样能使它潜人最深的海底,因为水下面的阻力在不断增长,计算起来是有几千几万的大气压呢?
How do you rise back to the surface of the ocean? Finally, how do you keep your ship at whatever level suits you?
您怎样又能使它上升到海面来呢?最后,您又怎样能使它维持在您认为合适的深度里面呢?
Am I indiscreet in asking you all these things?
我问您这些问题是不是太冒昧了?
Not at all, professor, the captain answered me after a slight hesitation 8, since you'll never leave this underwater boat.
并不冒昧,教授,他略为迟疑了一下回答我,因为您是不能离开我这只潜水艇的了。
Come into the lounge. It's actually our work room, and there you'll learn the full story about the Nautilus!
请你进客厅来。客厅是我们 的真正工作室,在客厅里,您可以知道您对于诺第留斯号应该知道的一切!
n.令人着迷的事物,魅力,迷恋
- He had a deep fascination with all forms of transport.他对所有的运输工具都很着迷。
- His letters have been a source of fascination to a wide audience.广大观众一直迷恋于他的来信。
vt.使活动起来,使开始起作用
- We must activate the youth to study.我们要激励青年去学习。
- These push buttons can activate the elevator.这些按钮能启动电梯。
n.(工具的)柄,杆状物
- He was wounded by a shaft.他被箭击中受伤。
- This is the shaft of a steam engine.这是一个蒸汽机主轴。
adj.无限的,不受控制的,无条件的
- They flew over the unlimited reaches of the Arctic.他们飞过了茫茫无边的北极上空。
- There is no safety in unlimited technological hubris.在技术方面自以为是会很危险。
n.感应,感应现象
- His induction as a teacher was a turning point in his life.他就任教师工作是他一生的转折点。
- The magnetic signals are sensed by induction coils.磁信号由感应线圈所检测。
v.担保;断定;n.被担保者
- They asked whether I was prepared to vouch for him.他们问我是否愿意为他作担保。
- I can vouch for the fact that he is a good worker.我保证他是好员工。
vt.驾驶,为…操舵;引导;vi.驾驶
- If you push the car, I'll steer it.如果你来推车,我就来驾车。
- It's no use trying to steer the boy into a course of action that suits you.想说服这孩子按你的方式行事是徒劳的。
n.犹豫,踌躇
- After a long hesitation, he told the truth at last.踌躇了半天,他终于直说了。
- There was a certain hesitation in her manner.她的态度有些犹豫不决。