月亮和六便士 第二十八章(1)
时间:2019-02-13 作者:英语课 分类:月亮和六便士
英语课
Chapter 28 第二十八章
The explanation came a week later. 一个星期以后我知道谜底了。
It was about ten o' clock at night; I had been dining by myself at a restaurant, 大约十点左右,这一天我一个人在外面吃了晚饭,
and having returned to my small apartment, was sitting in my parlour, reading 饭后回到我的住处,我正坐在起居间看书,
I heard the cracked tinkling 1 of the bell, and, going into the corridor, opened the door. Stroeve stood before me. 忽然,门铃暗哑地响起来。我走到过道上,打开门,站在我面前的是施特略夫。
Can I come in? he asked. “可以进来吗?”他问。
In the dimness of the landing I could not see him very well, but there was something in his voice that surprised me. 楼梯口光线很暗,我看不清他的样子,但是他说话的声音却使我吃了一惊。
I knew he was of abstemious 2 habit or I should have thought he had been drinking. 我知道他喝酒从来不过量,否则我会以为他喝醉酒了。
I led the way into my sitting room and asked him to sit down. 我把他领进起居间里,叫他坐下。
Thank God I've found you, he said. “谢天谢地,总算找到你了,”他说。
What's the matter? I asked in astonishment 3 at his vehemence 4. “怎么回事?”我问;他的激动不安的样子叫我非常吃惊。
I was able now to see him well. 进到屋子里面,我可以清清楚楚地打量他了。
As a rule he was neat in his person, but now his clothes were in disorder 5. He looked suddenly bedraggled. 平时他总是穿戴得干净整齐,这次却衣冠不整,突然给人以邋里邋遢的感觉。
I was convinced he had been drinking, and I smiled. 我一点也不怀疑了,他一定是喝醉了。 我对他笑了笑,
I was on the point of chaffing him on his state. 准备打趣他两句。
I didn't know where to go, he burst out. "I came here earlier, but you weren't in." “我不知道该到哪儿去,”他突兀地说了一句,“刚才来了一次,你不在。”
I dined late, I said. “我今天吃饭晚了,”我说。
I changed my mind: it was not liquor that had driven him to this obvious desperation. 我的想法改变了;他显然不是因为喝了酒才这样嗒然若丧。
His face, usually so rosy 6, was now strangely mottled. 他的脸平常总是红扑扑的,现在却一块红、一块白,斑斑点点,样子非常奇怪。
His hands trembled. 他的两只手一直在哆嗦。
Has anything happened? I asked. “出了什么事了吗?”
My wife has left me. “我的妻子离开了我了。”
He could hardly get the words out. He gave a little gasp 7, and the tears began to trickle 8 down his round cheeks. 他费了很大力气才把这几个字说出来。他抽噎了一下,眼泪沿着胖乎乎的面颊一滴滴地落下来。
n.丁当作响声
- I could hear bells tinkling in the distance. 我能听到远处叮当铃响。
- To talk to him was like listening to the tinkling of a worn-out musical-box. 跟他说话,犹如听一架老掉牙的八音盒子丁冬响。 来自英汉文学
adj.有节制的,节俭的
- He is abstemious in eating and drinking.他在饮食方面是很有节制的。
- Mr.Hall was naturally an abstemious man indifferent to luxury.霍尔先生天生是个饮食有度,不爱奢侈的人。
n.惊奇,惊异
- They heard him give a loud shout of astonishment.他们听见他惊奇地大叫一声。
- I was filled with astonishment at her strange action.我对她的奇怪举动不胜惊异。
n.热切;激烈;愤怒
- The attack increased in vehemence.进攻越来越猛烈。
- She was astonished at his vehemence.她对他的激昂感到惊讶。
n.紊乱,混乱;骚动,骚乱;疾病,失调
- When returning back,he discovered the room to be in disorder.回家后,他发现屋子里乱七八糟。
- It contained a vast number of letters in great disorder.里面七零八落地装着许多信件。
adj.美好的,乐观的,玫瑰色的
- She got a new job and her life looks rosy.她找到一份新工作,生活看上去很美好。
- She always takes a rosy view of life.她总是对生活持乐观态度。
n.喘息,气喘;v.喘息;气吁吁他说
- She gave a gasp of surprise.她吃惊得大口喘气。
- The enemy are at their last gasp.敌人在做垂死的挣扎。
标签:
月亮和六便士