月亮和六便士 第二十九章(2)
时间:2019-02-13 作者:英语课 分类:月亮和六便士
英语课
I love her so much better than myself. “我爱她远远超过了爱我自己。
It seems to me that when vanity 1 comes into love it can only be because really you love yourself best. 我觉得,在爱情的事上如果考虑起自尊心来,那只能有一个原因:实际上你还是最爱自己。
After all, it constantly happens that a man when he's married falls in love with somebody else; 不管怎么说,一个结了婚的男人又爱上别人并不是什么希罕事,
when he gets over it he returns to his wife, and she takes him back, and everyone thinks it very natural. 常常等他的热劲过去了,便又回到他妻子的身边,而她也就同他和好如初了。这种事谁都认为是很自然的。
Why should it be different with women? 如果男人是这样,为什么女人就该是例外呢?”
I dare say that's logical, I smiled, "but most men are made differently, and they can't." “我承认你说的很合乎逻辑,”我笑了笑,“但是大多数男人都不是这种心理,要他们这样对待这件事是办不到的。”
But while I talked to Stroeve I was puzzling over the suddenness of the whole affair. I could not imagine that he had had no warning. 在我同施特略夫这样谈话时,我心里一直在想,这件事来得过于突然,叫我迷惑不解。不可能想象,事前他会一直蒙在鼓里。
I remembered the curious look I had seen in Blanche Stroeve's eyes; 我记起了我曾看到的勃朗什·施特略夫的奇怪眼神,
perhaps its explanation was that she was growing dimly conscious of a feeling in her heart that surprised and alarmed her. 可能她已经模糊地意识到自己的感情,自己也被震骇住了。
Did you have no suspicion before to-day that there was anything between them? I asked. “在今天以前难道你一点也没有猜疑过他们两人之间有什么事吗?”我问他道。
He did not answer for a while. There was a pencil on the table, and unconsciously he drew a head on the blotting-paper. 他并没有马上回答我的问题。桌子上有一支铅笔,他拿起来在吸墨纸上信手画了一个头像。
Please say so, if you hate my asking you questions, I said. “要是你不喜欢我问你这个问题,你就直说吧,”我说。
It eases me to talk. Oh, if you knew the frightful 2 anguish 3 in my heart. He threw the pencil down. “我把话说出来心里反而痛快一些。咳,要是你知道我心里有多么痛苦就好了,”他把手里的铅笔往桌上一扔。
"Yes, I've known it for a fortnight. I knew it before she did." “是的,我从两个星期以前就知道了。在她自己还不明白是怎么回事以前我就知道了。”
Why on earth didn't you send Strickland packing? “那你为什么不把思特里克兰德打发走呢?”
I couldn't believe it. It seemed so improbable. 我不相信,我认为这是不可能的。
n.虚荣心,浮华,无价值的东西;adj.虚荣心的
- A man's vanity is actually in proportion to his ignorance.一个人的虚荣心实际上是和他的愚蠢程度成正比。
- Vanity and virtue do not go together.虚荣与美德不是共生物。
adj.可怕的;讨厌的
- How frightful to have a husband who snores!有一个发鼾声的丈夫多讨厌啊!
- We're having frightful weather these days.这几天天气坏极了。
标签:
月亮和六便士