A lady in a faded gingham dress and her husband, dressed in a homespun threadbare suit, stepped off the train in Boston, and walked timidly without an appointment into the president of Harvard’s out

发表于:2018-12-07 / 阅读(201) / 评论(0) 分类 英语精美散文22篇

1. genealogy /ˌdʒi:nɪ'lədʒɪ/ -- (literally, account of a race or family) history of the descent of a person or family from an ancestor; lineage; pedigree Diana can trace her descent from an ancestor who fought in the Civil War. I know much less

发表于:2018-12-30 / 阅读(57) / 评论(0) 分类 突破英文词汇

A: Whats up? B: Im filling out these applications. A: What applications? B: College applications. A: Youre in college already. B: Im planning on transferring to another school. A: Which school? B: I wont know until I mail these applications. A: Which

发表于:2018-12-30 / 阅读(41) / 评论(0) 分类 大学英语对话

The federal government, displaying even less sense than usual, has yielded to the French fry industry. Frozen French friessliced, fried in oil, and then packagedare now approved as fresh vegetables by the US Department of Agriculture. The French fry

发表于:2018-12-31 / 阅读(60) / 评论(0) 分类 365个英语简短小故事

George Gershwin: Rhapsody in Blue Written by - Shelley Gollust (MUSIC) VOICE ONE: Im Barbara Klein. VOICE TWO: George Gershwin And Im Steve Ember with People in America in VOA Special English. Today we tell about the life and music of one of America'

发表于:2019-01-02 / 阅读(54) / 评论(0) 分类 名人轶事

THIS IS AMERICA - Musical Legend Chuck Berry Still Reeling and Rocking on Stage at 85 DOUG JOHNSON: Welcome to THIS IS AMERICA in VOA Special English. Im Doug Johnson. (MUSIC) FAITH LAPIDUS: And Im Faith Lapidus. This week on our program -- the music

发表于:2019-01-02 / 阅读(54) / 评论(0) 分类 2011年VOA慢速英语(十)月

Agriculture Report - For Meat Lovers, the Challenge of Faking It 农业报道 - 仿肉食品的挑战 This is the VOA Special English Agriculture Report. 这里是美国之音慢速英语农业报道。 Some people in the Netherlands are spending thr

发表于:2019-01-12 / 阅读(38) / 评论(0) 分类 2012年VOA慢速英语(三)月

People in America - Eunice Kennedy Shriver, 1921-2009: She Changed the World for People with Mental Disabilities FAITH LAPIDUS: Im Faith Lapidus. BOB DOUGHTY: And Im Bob Doughty with People in America in VOA Special English. Today we tell about Eunic

发表于:2019-01-12 / 阅读(155) / 评论(0) 分类 2011年VOA慢速英语(八)月

This is the VOA Special English Agriculture Report. Cacao or cocoa trees grow in hot, rainy areas of Africa, Asia and Central and South America. Their beans are used to make cocoa powder, cocoa butter and of course chocolate. There are five to six mi

发表于:2019-01-12 / 阅读(59) / 评论(0) 分类 2010年VOA慢速英语(十)月

This is the VOA Special English Health Report. Old age may not sound exciting. But recent findings offer good news for older people and for people worried about getting older. Researchers found that people become happier and experience less worry aft

发表于:2019-01-12 / 阅读(42) / 评论(0) 分类 2010年VOA慢速英语(九)月

Addressing Climate Change through Diet A new study says one of the best ways to curb greenhouse gas emissions is to eat less meat. In fact, the study says meat consumption in the developed should be cut by 50 percent per person by 2050. Meat producti

发表于:2019-01-13 / 阅读(61) / 评论(0) 分类 VOA标准英语2012年(四月)

After Independence, South Sudan Faces Serious Challenges Ahead As the euphoria from a hard-won independence subsides, South Sudan now must turn to face enormous development challenges. Meanwhile, the threat of a return to war and outstanding politica

发表于:2019-01-13 / 阅读(32) / 评论(0) 分类 VOA标准英语2011年(十二月)

GadhafiLoyalistsFleeinConvoytoNiger Reports that a large convoy of Moammar Gadhafi's supporters has fled Libya for Niger have angered many in the Libyan capital. Citizens want to see their former leader and those around him facing justice at home. A

发表于:2019-01-13 / 阅读(150) / 评论(0) 分类 VOA标准英语2011年(九月)

The National Collegiate Athletic Association, better known as the NCAA, is holding its final four games for this year's men's basketball season in Houston, Texas. More than 70,000 fans are expected for the games, the first two of which are held on Sa

发表于:2019-01-14 / 阅读(92) / 评论(0) 分类 VOA标准英语2011年(四月)

Venezuela-US Relations Unlikely to Change After Chavez The death of President Chavez is being mourned by his supporters, while many inside and outside Venezuela wonder what the future holds. A commanding and charismatic figure in life, Chavez played

发表于:2019-01-14 / 阅读(39) / 评论(0) 分类 VOA标准英语2013年(三月)

Andy, Moes younger brother, called late Wednesday morning. Andy told Darwin that hed checked out the Buick for needed repairs. Go ahead. Im sitting down, Darwin said. Andy said the car needed new pads on the front disc brakes. It needed a new fuel fi

发表于:2019-01-27 / 阅读(56) / 评论(0) 分类 365个英语简短小故事

[Scene: Central Perk, everyone is there except Joey.] Monica: Alright. Phoebe? Phoebe: Okay, okay. If I were omnipotent for a day, I would want, um, world peace, no more hunger, good things for the rain-forest...And bigger boobs! Ross: Yeah, see.. yo

发表于:2019-02-04 / 阅读(81) / 评论(0) 分类 英语杂谈

今天我们要学的词是challenge。 Challenge, 是挑战的意思。经济不景气,使今年的大学毕业生面临严峻的就业挑战。 College graduates are facing tough challenges in finding a job amid the economic downturn, 奥巴马在法

发表于:2019-02-06 / 阅读(50) / 评论(0) 分类 英语单词荟萃

Todd: So, Alex, you're still at university. Alex: Yes, sir Todd: So, what's a typical day at university like? Alex: A typical day at my school, let's see, well I would usually get up, well last semester, I would get up around 8 or so. My first class

发表于:2019-02-07 / 阅读(84) / 评论(0) 分类 原版英语对话1000个

China has been ranked as the third most innovative country according to General Electric's latest report of Global Innovation Barometer. The report highlights two advantages of China's successful innovation, flexible and diversified business models a

发表于:2019-02-14 / 阅读(52) / 评论(0) 分类 英闻天下