I was feeling blithe, almost jocund. I put a match to my cigar, and just then the morning's mailwas handed in. The first superscription I glanced at was in a handwriting that sent a thrill ofpleasure through and through me. It was aunt Mary's; and sh

发表于:2018-12-06 / 阅读(182) / 评论(0) 分类 马克吐温最佳短篇小说

Senators are expected to hand President Obama a major victory with final passage of fast track authority to negociate trade deals. Senate approval would boost his hopes for a 12-nation Pacific rim trade agreement. Much of the Northeast is cleaning up

发表于:2018-12-15 / 阅读(85) / 评论(0) 分类 美联社新闻一分钟2015(六)月

The Bush administration today announced a more than 17-billion-dollar rescue plan for troubled Detroit automakers Chrysler and GM. NPR's Chris Arnold reports. President Bush said that under ordinary circumstances he would have let the automakers fai

发表于:2018-12-17 / 阅读(55) / 评论(0) 分类 2008年NPR美国国家公共电台12月

President Obama is expected to call for hundreds of billions of dollars in new tax cuts and government spending tonight in an effort to boost the creation of jobs and bring down the nation's high unemployment rate. NPR's Scott Horsley reports the pre

发表于:2018-12-17 / 阅读(50) / 评论(0) 分类 2011年NPR美国国家公共电台9月

Now the battle over new gun control laws here at home, tomorrow NRA executive vice president Wayne LaPierre is going to testify from the Senate Judiciary Committee, now tonight, we're learning he plans to attack the proposals for a new ban on semiaut

发表于:2018-12-19 / 阅读(69) / 评论(0) 分类 CNN2013年(二)月

48. The Founding of Massachusetts, 1629-30. 48.马萨诸塞的创建(16291630年) Unlike the poor and humble Pilgrims were the founders of Massachusetts. 马萨诸塞的创建者不像朝圣者那样贫穷和可怜, They were men of wealth an

发表于:2018-12-28 / 阅读(36) / 评论(0) 分类 美国学生历史

Chapter 8 第8章 The Colonies Under Charles II 查理二世的殖民统治 65. The Puritans and the Colonists, 16491660. 65.清教徒和殖民地(16491660年) In 1649 Charles I was executed, and for eleven years the Puritans were supreme in En

发表于:2018-12-28 / 阅读(39) / 评论(0) 分类 美国学生历史

174. Claims to Western Lands. 174.西部土地的主权 The Confederation seemed to be falling to pieces. 联邦似乎要四分五裂, That it did not actually fall to pieces was largely due to the fact that all the states were interested in the

发表于:2018-12-28 / 阅读(46) / 评论(0) 分类 美国学生历史

Explanation: When the 13 American colonies (or areas of land ruled by Great Britain but far away from it) got their independence (or freedom) from Britain, they did not have a strong government. They agreed to follow a document called the Articles of

发表于:2018-12-28 / 阅读(33) / 评论(0) 分类 美国精神

Blizzard 暴风雪 In summer, we experience hurricanes. 夏天会刮飓风。 When a hurricane comes, winds blow strongly and it rains a lot. 飓风来临时,会伴有强风和大雨。 So, what happens if we have a hurricane in winter? 那么,冬天

发表于:2019-01-10 / 阅读(178) / 评论(0) 分类 与美国小学生一起学英文第7册

1. The first tough gun control legislation since the New Town, Connecticut school shooting is about to pass in New York. The state Senate has easily passed the legislation and the assembly will follow suit Tuesday. 2. A person familiar with the situa

发表于:2019-01-11 / 阅读(98) / 评论(0) 分类 美联社新闻一分钟2013(一月)

Words and Their Stories: State Nicknames, Part 1 词汇典故:美国各州别名 1 Now, the VOA Special English program WORDS AND THEIR STORIES. 现在是美国之音慢速英语词汇典故节目。 A nickname is a shortened form of a person's nam

发表于:2019-01-12 / 阅读(57) / 评论(0) 分类 2012年VOA慢速英语(十一)月

For NPR news in Washington. Im L W. Violence erupted at Guantanamo Bay prison camp in Cuba today. Military officials say guards were moving some inmates from the communal section into the solitary cells when the inmates resisted using improvised weap

发表于:2019-01-16 / 阅读(61) / 评论(0) 分类 2013年NPR美国国家公共电台4月

JUDY WOODRUFF: Next: the change in public attitudes and state laws when it comes to gun rights and restrictions.Its long been one of the most divisive issues in America. And now several families who lost loved ones in Newtown Connecticut are suing th

发表于:2019-01-27 / 阅读(41) / 评论(0) 分类 PBS访谈社会系列

Gibbs is perhaps the most brilliant person that most people have never heard of. Modest to the point of near invisibility, he passed virtually the whole of his life, apart from three years spent studying in Europe, within a three-block area bounded b

发表于:2019-01-29 / 阅读(53) / 评论(0) 分类 万物简史

Once they reach a certain age, lots of women find motherhood exhausting, but not Brooklyn-based Nina Keneally. The 63-year-old still has lots of mothering skills that shes actually more than happy to rent out through a unique service called NeedAMom.

发表于:2019-01-30 / 阅读(46) / 评论(0) 分类 阅读空间

Todd: Hello! Heidi: Hi! Todd: Hi! What is your name? Heidi: My name is Heidi? Todd: Heidi! Where are you from? Heidi: I'm from the U.S. Todd: OK. Where are you from in the U.S? Heidi: From Connecticut. Todd: OK. Ah..tell us about Connecticut. Heidi:

发表于:2019-01-30 / 阅读(46) / 评论(0) 分类 英语访谈对话

Todd: Hello! Heidi: Hi! Todd: Hi! What is your name? Heidi: My name is Heidi? Todd: Heidi! Where are you from? Heidi: I'm from the U.S. Todd: OK. Where are you from in the U.S? Heidi: From Connecticut. Todd: OK. Ah..tell us about Connecticut. Heidi:

发表于:2019-02-02 / 阅读(34) / 评论(0) 分类 原版英语对话1000个

WHITE HOUSE A gun violence task force, created by President Barack Obama and headed by Vice President Joe Biden, held its first meeting Thursday to begin to seek solutions to gun violence in the wake of the massacre of children and adults at an eleme

发表于:2019-02-06 / 阅读(40) / 评论(0) 分类 英语新闻

BEIJING, Dec. 15 (Xinhua) -- Chinese President Hu Jintao on Saturday sent a message of condolences to U.S. President Barak Obama following the shooting incident at an elementary school in Newtown in the U.S. state of Connecticut on Friday. Hu express

发表于:2019-02-18 / 阅读(56) / 评论(0) 分类 英语新闻