美国语文第六册 第125期:伍尔西大主教的垮台(1)
时间:2019-03-11 作者:英语课 分类:美国语文第六册
英语课
From Shakespeare's Henry VIII, Act iii, Scene ii. (莎士比亚《亨利八世》第三幕第二场)
Wolsey says: Farewell! a long farewell, to all my greatness! 伍尔西说道:再见!永别了,我全部的宏伟事业。
This is the state of man: to-day he puts forth 1 The tender leaves of hopes; 世间之事就是这样:一个人今天生出了希望的嫩叶;
to-morrow blossoms, And bears his blushing honors thick upon him; 第二天开了花,开满了鲜艳的荣誉的花朵;
The third day comes a frost, a killing 2 frost, 第三天霜冻出现了,那是致命的霜冻;
And, when he thinks, good, easy man, full surely His greatness is a-ripening, nips his root, And then he falls, as I do. 而这位容易轻信的好人还蛮有把握,以为他的宏伟事业正在成熟;不料霜冻正在咬噬他的根,接着和我一样,他就倒下了。
I have ventured, Like little, wanton boys that swim on bladders, This many summers in a sea of glory, But far beyond my depth: 我也冒过险,仿佛绑着猪尿泡游泳的顽皮孩子,多少年的夏天在光荣的大海上,游到了我力所不及的深处:
my high-blown pride At length broke under me, 我那鼓胀的虚荣终于爆破了,
and now has left me, Weary and old with service, to the mercy Of a rude stream, that must forever hide me. 现在留给我的,是一个疲惫衰老的身躯,任凭狂涛摆布,把我永远埋葬那里。
Vain pomp and glory of this world, I hate ye: I feel my heart new open'd. 这个世界的浮名虚荣,我恨你;我觉得我的心好像刚被人割了一刀。
Oh, how wretched Is that poor man that hangs on princes' favors! 啊,多么可怜啊!依靠帝王的庇荫而生存的人!
There is, betwixt that smile we would aspire 3 to, That sweet aspect of princes, and their ruin, 在我们所企望看到的帝王的笑脸和帝王可能加在我们身上的毁灭之间,存在着多少苦痛和恐惧啊,
More pangs 4 and fears than wars or women have: 远远超过战争和妇人所导致的后果。
And when he falls, he falls like Lucifer, Never to hope again. 他一旦失败,就像撒旦一样,万劫不复。
adv.向前;向外,往外
- The wind moved the trees gently back and forth.风吹得树轻轻地来回摇晃。
- He gave forth a series of works in rapid succession.他很快连续发表了一系列的作品。
n.巨额利润;突然赚大钱,发大财
- Investors are set to make a killing from the sell-off.投资者准备清仓以便大赚一笔。
- Last week my brother made a killing on Wall Street.上个周我兄弟在华尔街赚了一大笔。
vi.(to,after)渴望,追求,有志于
- Living together with you is what I aspire toward in my life.和你一起生活是我一生最大的愿望。
- I aspire to be an innovator not a follower.我迫切希望能变成个开创者而不是跟随者。
标签:
美国语文