英语听书《海底两万里》第142期 第10章 水中人(13)
时间:2019-02-17 作者:英语课 分类:《海底两万里》中英双语有声读物
英语课
Sir, even though you've cut yourself off from humanity 1, I can see that you haven't disowned all human feeling.
先生,您虽然跟人类世界不相往来,但我想您还没有公开否认人的情感。
We're castaways whom you've charitably taken aboard, we'll never forget that.
我们是被您好心收留在您船上的受难者,我们忘不了您的好意。
Speaking for myself, I don't rule out that the interests of science could override 2 even the need for freedom, which promises me that, in exchange,
至于我,如果因为科学的关系可以把自由忘记的话,那我很知道,
our encounter will provide great rewards.
我们两人的相遇可能给我巨大的补偿。
I thought the commander would offer me his hand, to seal our agreement. He did nothing of the sort. I regretted that.
我想,船长是一定要跟我握手,借此表示我们的意见是一致的。但他并不这样做。我真替他惋惜。
One last question, I said, just as this inexplicable 3 being seemed ready to withdraw.
最后一个问题。当这个神秘的人物想退出去的时候,我对他说。
Ask it, professor.
教授先生,您说吧。
By what name am I to call you?
我应当怎样称呼您呢?
Sir, the commander replied, to you, I'm simply Captain Nemo;* to me, you and your companions are simply passengers on the Nautilus.
先生,船长回答,在您来说,我不过是尼摩船长,在我来说,您和您的同伴不过是诺第留斯号的乘客。
n.人类,[总称]人(性),人道[pl.]人文学科
- Such an act is a disgrace to humanity.这种行为是人类的耻辱。
- We should treat animals with humanity.我们应该以仁慈之心对待动物。
vt.不顾,不理睬,否决;压倒,优先于
- The welfare of a child should always override the wishes of its parents.孩子的幸福安康应该永远比父母的愿望来得更重要。
- I'm applying in advance for the authority to override him.我提前申请当局对他进行否决。
adj.无法解释的,难理解的
- It is now inexplicable how that development was misinterpreted.当时对这一事态发展的错误理解究竟是怎么产生的,现在已经无法说清楚了。
- There are many things which are inexplicable by science.有很多事科学还无法解释。