美国语文第六册 第23期:生活中通常貌似真实的计划(5)
时间:2019-02-11 作者:英语课 分类:美国语文第六册
英语课
Sometimes, I was afraid lest I should be charged with ingratitude 1; 有时,我真的担心自己被指责忘恩负义,
but I still proposed to travel, and therefore would not confine myself by marriage. 不过我仍然打算出去见世面,因此不会受婚姻的束缚。
"In my fiftieth year, I began to suspect that the time of my traveling was past; 在我五十岁时,我开始怀疑自己旅行的愿望恐要化为泡影,
and thought it best to lay hold on the felicity yet in my power, and indulge myself in domestic pleasures. 尽管我一生中的华年都用来追求影响力所带来的幸福,而未能享受家庭之快乐。
But, at fifty, no man easily finds a woman beautiful as the houries, and wise as Zobeide. 但是,人生五十有谁还能轻易找到貌美如花,像佐贝德那样聪明的女人。
I inquired and rejected, consulted and deliberated, till the sixty-second year made me ashamed of wishing to marry. 我到处打听,屡屡碰壁,直到六十二岁那年我方为自己想结婚的愿望而羞愧。
I had now nothing left but retirement 2; and for retirement I never found a time, till disease forced me from public employment. 现在,我除了归隐林下还有什么呢。可是,我一直没有时间真正停下来过隐居生活,直到疾病迫使我辞去公职。
"Such was my scheme, and such has been its consequence. 这就是我的计划,这就是我的计划所导致的后果。
With an insatiable thirst for knowledge, I trifled away the years of improvement; 对知识怀有难以满足的饥渴,可我却浪费了个人际遇能获得改善的那段岁月;
with a restless desire of seeing different countries, I have always resided in the same city; 对一览各个不同国家抱有难以遏制的愿望,可是我却始终住在同一座城市;
with the highest expectation of connubial 3 felicity, I have lived unmarried; 对婚姻幸福抱有最高程度的渴望,可是我却终生未娶;
and with an unalterable resolution of contemplative retirement, I am going to die within the walls of Bagdad." 下定决心要过归隐林下的宁静生活,可是看来我终将在巴格达城里了此一生了。
n.忘恩负义
- Tim's parents were rather hurt by his ingratitude.蒂姆的父母对他的忘恩负义很痛心。
- His friends were shocked by his ingratitude to his parents.他对父母不孝,令他的朋友们大为吃惊。
n.退休,退职
- She wanted to enjoy her retirement without being beset by financial worries.她想享受退休生活而不必为金钱担忧。
- I have to put everything away for my retirement.我必须把一切都积蓄起来以便退休后用。
标签:
美国语文