英语听书《海底两万里》第479期 第30章 从合恩角到亚马逊河(2)
时间:2018-12-31 作者:英语课 分类:《海底两万里》中英双语有声读物
英语课
"No, Ned," I replied, "it isn't worth more. “不,尼德,”我回答,“我的生命不是更有价值。
Nobody could be better than a kind and generous man like yourself!" 谁也不能比善良仁爱的人们更优秀,而您正是这种人!”
"All right, all right!" the Canadian repeated in embarrassment 1. “算了!算了!”加拿大人很有些为难地一再说。
"And you, my gallant 2 Conseil, you suffered a great deal." “你呢,我的忠实的康塞尔,你一定也受了大苦了。”
"Not too much, to be candid 3 with master. I was lacking a few throatfuls of air, but I would have gotten by. “老实对先生说,并不怎么难过。我就是短了儿口空气,但我想我可以过得去。
Besides, when I saw master fainting, it left me without the slightest desire to breathe. 并且,我眼见先生晕过去,我就一点不想呼吸了,
It took my breath away, in a manner of..." 像人说的,这是断了我的呼……”
Confounded by this lapse 4 into banality 5, Conseil left his sentence hanging. 废塞尔觉得他太罗嗦了,心中不好意思,没有说完就停住了。
"My friends," I replied, very moved, "we're bound to each other forever, and I'm deeply indebted to you--" “我的朋友们,”我情绪很激动地回答,“我们彼此是永远团结在一起,同时你们有权利处置我……”
"Which I'll take advantage of," the Canadian shot back. “我要使用这权利。”加拿大人立即回答。
"Eh?" Conseil put in. “怎么?”康塞尔说。
"Yes," Ned Land went on. “是的,”尼德·兰又说,
"You can repay your debt by coming with me when I leave this infernal Nautilus." “使用这权利来拉您跟我一同走,当我要离开这地狱的诺第留斯号的时候。”
"By the way," Conseil said, "are we going in a favorable direction?" “谈正经事吧,”康塞尔说,“我们现在是向着好的方向走吗?”
"Yes," I replied, "because we're going in the direction of the sun, and here the sun is due north." “是的,”我回答说,“因为我们是向着有太阳的方向走,现在有太阳的就是北方。”
"Sure," Ned Land went on, "but it remains 6 to be seen whether we'll make for the Atlantic or the Pacific, “不错,”尼德·兰又说,“不过还要知道,我们是向太平洋或向大西洋?
in other words, whether we'll end up in well-traveled or deserted 7 seas." 是向往来人多的或荒凉无人的海航行呢?”
I had no reply to this, 这点我不能答复,
and I feared that Captain Nemo wouldn't take us homeward but rather into that huge ocean washing the shores of both Asia and America. 我怕尼摩船长要把我们带到同时浸润亚洲和美洲海岸的广阔的太平洋中去。
In this way he would complete his underwater tour of the world, 他这样就完成了他的海底坏球旅行了,
going back to those seas where the Nautilus enjoyed the greatest freedom. 他又回到诺第留斯号可以获得最完全的自由的海中了。
But if we returned to the Pacific, far from every populated shore, what would happen to Ned Land's plans? 但是,如果我们回到太平洋中来,离开所有人居住的地方,那尼德·兰的计划将怎样呢?
n.尴尬;使人为难的人(事物);障碍;窘迫
- She could have died away with embarrassment.她窘迫得要死。
- Coughing at a concert can be a real embarrassment.在音乐会上咳嗽真会使人难堪。
adj.英勇的,豪侠的;(向女人)献殷勤的
- Huang Jiguang's gallant deed is known by all men. 黄继光的英勇事迹尽人皆知。
- These gallant soldiers will protect our country.这些勇敢的士兵会保卫我们的国家的。
adj.公正的,正直的;坦率的
- I cannot but hope the candid reader will give some allowance for it.我只有希望公正的读者多少包涵一些。
- He is quite candid with his friends.他对朋友相当坦诚。
n.过失,流逝,失效,抛弃信仰,间隔;vi.堕落,停止,失效,流逝;vt.使失效
- The incident was being seen as a serious security lapse.这一事故被看作是一次严重的安全疏忽。
- I had a lapse of memory.我记错了。
n.陈腐;平庸;陈词滥调
- Neil's ability to utter banalities never ceased to amaze me.每次我都很惊讶,尼尔怎么能讲出这么索然无味的东西。
- He couldn't believe the banality of the question.他无法相信那问题竟如此陈腐。
n.剩余物,残留物;遗体,遗迹
- He ate the remains of food hungrily.他狼吞虎咽地吃剩余的食物。
- The remains of the meal were fed to the dog.残羹剩饭喂狗了。
标签:
海底两万里