Ann was in the waiting room. A few others were waiting there also. Ann looked at her watch. Her appointment was for 9 a.m. It was 9:10 a.m. Where is the doctor? Ann asked the secretary. He had an emergency. He'll be here any minute now, said the secr

发表于:2019-01-22 / 阅读(48) / 评论(0) 分类 英文短篇故事(纽约)

Alan turned his laptop on. The fan started humming loudly. It was a loud, steady hum. Alan could hear the hum from ten feet away. It hummed until he turned his laptop off. He told his friend about the hum. His friend said there was dust near the fan.

发表于:2019-01-22 / 阅读(43) / 评论(0) 分类 英文短篇故事(纽约)

Like many designers at New York Fashion Week, Mayhem expertly posed for photos, showed off her creations and took interviews. Unlike most designers, however, she is only four years old. 和纽约时装周上许多其他的设计师一样,梅赫姆拍

发表于:2019-02-04 / 阅读(67) / 评论(0) 分类 阅读空间

Jack Ma, the founder and executive chairman of e-commerce giant Alibaba Group, and US president-elect Donald Trump met at Trump Tower in New York City last Monday, with Trump calling it a great meeting and Ma saying the meeting was very productive. 电

发表于:2019-02-08 / 阅读(112) / 评论(0) 分类 英语新闻

本期内容: OnSeptember11, 2001,amidtheburningashesoftheWorldTradeCenter,threeNewYorkCityfirefightershoistedasmallAmericanflagremovedfromanearbyyacht.Itwas5p.m.onadaythatwouldradicallychangethecourseofhistory. 2001年9月11日,3名纽约消防员

发表于:2019-02-12 / 阅读(35) / 评论(0) 分类 口语侠每日早读

New Yorkers Enjoy a Little Help with Grammar The New York City train system has a new unofficial stop for people who love grammaror even just have questions about it. 纽约市地铁出现了一个非官方的新站点专为热爱语法或者只是对语

发表于:2019-02-13 / 阅读(67) / 评论(0) 分类 2019年VOA慢速英语(一)月

This year's Hurun Global Rich List shows Beijing has replaced New York as the billionaire capital of the world. 今年的《胡润全球富豪榜》显示,北京已经取代纽约成为全球亿万富豪之都。 Beijing now reportedly has 100 bill

发表于:2019-02-13 / 阅读(46) / 评论(0) 分类 英语新闻

Joey and Stacy finished their meal. The waiter brought them some fortune cookies. Stacy broke open her cookie. Joey asked, What does it say? She said, It says that I'll see a special person soon. Just then, her mom walked into the restaurant. They hu

发表于:2019-02-15 / 阅读(46) / 评论(0) 分类 英文短篇故事(纽约)

She heard Timmy cry, Ouch! She ran into the boys' bedroom. They were hitting each other in the head with pillows. She yelled, Stop it! What's the matter with you? Someone's going to get hurt! Billy said, Aw, Mom, we're just having fun. You can't hurt

发表于:2019-02-15 / 阅读(198) / 评论(0) 分类 英文短篇故事(纽约)

Sheila and Jay were discussing their health. Sheila said, My feet are killing me. My doctor says I should soak them nightly. Jay said, I've got poor circulation in my left foot. My doctor says he might have to amputate some toes. She said, I fell and

发表于:2019-02-15 / 阅读(80) / 评论(0) 分类 英文短篇故事(纽约)

Mom, I saw the most interesting people on the subway car today, said the 12-year-old schoolgirl. You'll never believe this, but I swear it's true. I saw a fisherman with three fish in his basket. I saw a man in a brown bear suit. He was holding the b

发表于:2019-02-15 / 阅读(61) / 评论(0) 分类 英文短篇故事(纽约)

A huge meteorite crashed into the Atlantic Ocean. Babies who were sound asleep in Asia heard the impact. The meteorite went through the ocean bottom. It created a hole deep in the Earth. All the seawater from the Atlantic started rushing into the hol

发表于:2019-02-15 / 阅读(47) / 评论(0) 分类 英文短篇故事(纽约)

What happens to us when we die? Jude asked. His big brother Dylan said, It depends on whether you're a good person or a bad person. If you're a good person, your spirit leaves your body and enters the body of an animal. Jude asked, Which animal? Dyla

发表于:2019-02-15 / 阅读(43) / 评论(0) 分类 英文短篇故事(纽约)

The Powerball lottery is worth $550 million. Everyone is talking about it. A newspaper reporter asked an old lady what she'd do with $550 million. She said, First of all, you news people should know better. Nobody's going to get $550 million. The win

发表于:2019-02-15 / 阅读(42) / 评论(0) 分类 英文短篇故事(纽约)

The bulletin board ad said, Human Size Teddy Bear for Sale. Paid $100, asking $50. Next to those words was a color photo of just the teddy bear. It looked new and lovable. But, he wondered, how big is this bear? How big is human size? Humans come in

发表于:2019-02-15 / 阅读(43) / 评论(0) 分类 英文短篇故事(纽约)

Lana measured Stubway's foot long sandwich. It didn't measure up. It was 11 inches long. She measured her friend's foot long. It was a tad longer, at 11.5 inches. For the next three months, Lana measured Stubway's sandwiches. She got her Facelook fri

发表于:2019-02-15 / 阅读(66) / 评论(0) 分类 英文短篇故事(纽约)

She called her cable company. She told the rep, If I press the System button, it turns on the cable box but not the TV. If I press the Power button, all I get is a black TV screen with a rectangle that says HDMI. I have to keep pressing the same two

发表于:2019-02-15 / 阅读(41) / 评论(0) 分类 英文短篇故事(纽约)

Mommy, is it okay to lie? Annika asked. Mom said, Of course not, honey. Where'd you get that idea? A lie destroys the trust between people. It's hard to ever regain that trust. Honesty is always the best policy. If you lie, not only will you lose you

发表于:2019-02-15 / 阅读(38) / 评论(0) 分类 英文短篇故事(纽约)

He walked into the emergency room waiting room. The clerk asked, Can I help you? He said, These are for the ER staffdoctors, nurses, and everyone else that works in ER. She asked, What are they? He said, They're hot, fresh pizzas. What else comes in

发表于:2019-02-15 / 阅读(40) / 评论(0) 分类 英文短篇故事(纽约)

He was savoring a French truffle. When most of the chocolate candy had melted in his mouth, he chewed the last remaining bit and swallowed. Immediately, he popped another one into his mouth. When he finished that one, he put another one into his mout

发表于:2019-02-15 / 阅读(42) / 评论(0) 分类 英文短篇故事(纽约)