Gordon was hungry. He opened the refrigerator. There must be something in here to eat, he thought. There wasa single hot dog. He took it out of its package and put a small frying pan onto the stoves gas burner. He turned on the heat. Then he poured a

发表于:2018-12-06 / 阅读(44) / 评论(0) 分类 365个英语简短小故事

Photo: Julie Taboh Cocoa marinated tenderloin of beef is an example of chocolate being paired with other savory ingredients Americans love their chocolate, especially during the holiday season. For Gerri Ratliff, 48, buying chocolate during the holid

发表于:2018-12-08 / 阅读(71) / 评论(0) 分类 VOA标准英语2009年(十二月)

This is the VOA Special English Education Report. Next year, the Peace Corps will celebrate its fiftieth anniversary. Peace Corps volunteers are Americans who teach and work on projects in developing countries. The United States created the Peace Cor

发表于:2018-12-16 / 阅读(66) / 评论(0) 分类 2010年VOA慢速英语(九)月

The dilemma has been haunting the United States for decades. Do you prop up a regime that treats you favorably, even if that regime does not necessarily share your democratic principles? Or do you stand firm on your values, even if it means losing a

发表于:2018-12-16 / 阅读(55) / 评论(0) 分类 VOA标准英语2011年(二月)

Jake and Larry are brothers. They used to be friends. They used to talk to each other. But now they aren't friends. Now they don't talk to each other. They have a problem. The problem is money. Jake had borrowed $500 from Larry. Larry had lent $500 t

发表于:2019-01-02 / 阅读(34) / 评论(0) 分类 原版英语小短文

By Mil Arcega Washington, DC 12 June 2006 watch Stamp Collecting report Stamp collecting is a popular hobby that also can pay off financially. Stamps and related postal objects can be beautiful and exotic, plus they often have historical value. And

发表于:2019-01-04 / 阅读(124) / 评论(0) 分类 2006年VOA标准英语(六月)

wNaked Swiss hikers must cover up 裸体瑞士旅行者必须穿点衣服 Anyone found wandering the Alps wearing nothing but a sturdy (强健的,健全的) pair of hiking boots will now be fined. Appenzell is considered one of the most conservative (保守的) regi

发表于:2019-01-07 / 阅读(64) / 评论(0) 分类 英语新闻

As the crisis in Egypt continues to escalate, the role of the security and intelligence forces becomes more critical. President Hosni Mubarak said he will not run for re-election, and he appointed intelligence chief General Omar Suleiman as vice pres

发表于:2019-01-09 / 阅读(48) / 评论(0) 分类 VOA标准英语2011年(二月)

By Paula Wolfson White House 20 February 2007 President Bush says the American intelligence community must implement more reforms in order to meet the challenges of the war on terrorism. VOA's Paula Wolfson reports he spoke at the ceremonial swearing

发表于:2019-01-11 / 阅读(103) / 评论(0) 分类 2007年VOA标准英语(二月)

VOICE ONE: Welcome to THIS IS AMERICA in VOA Special English. I'm Steve Ember. VOICE TWO: And I'm Faith Lapidus. This week on our program: the world of social media. (MUSIC) VOICE ONE: People use social networking sites to share ideas, opinions and

发表于:2019-01-11 / 阅读(58) / 评论(0) 分类 VOA慢速英语2009年(九)月

An organization called the World Future Society publishes a yearly report about how technology, the economy and society are influencing the world. Tim Mack heads the World Future Society. He says medicine is one area of growth. TIM MACK: I was surpri

发表于:2019-01-11 / 阅读(62) / 评论(0) 分类 2011年VOA慢速英语(一)月

EXPLORATIONS-RememberingThreeInterestingAmericans BARBARA KLEIN: Im Barbara Klein. MARIO RITTER: And Im Mario Ritter with EXPLORATIONS in VOA Special English. Today, we learn about three Americans who died recently. Eugene Nida had a big influence in

发表于:2019-01-12 / 阅读(41) / 评论(0) 分类 2011年VOA慢速英语(九)月

In the early stages of the global recession, many African bankers and analysts dismissed the decline as a western issue. Their assumptions were based on the fact that most African financial institutions, especially in sub-Saharan Africa, were not par

发表于:2019-01-13 / 阅读(62) / 评论(0) 分类 VOA标准英语2010年(一月)

President Obama signed a bill last week extending unemployment benefits to 99 weeks. The extension will affect 1.4 million unemployed Americans and help ease the longest bout of joblessness since the great Depression. Our reporter visited a career co

发表于:2019-01-13 / 阅读(72) / 评论(0) 分类 VOA标准英语2010年(七)月

Former US Intelligence Chiefs: Pakistan Must Stop Playing Both Sides The relationship between the United States and Pakistan has been severely strained in recent months. Two former top U.S. intelligence officials say the relationship has been sorely

发表于:2019-01-14 / 阅读(77) / 评论(0) 分类 VOA标准英语2011年(八月)

AILSA CHANG, HOST: The new Netflix biopic Roxanne Roxanne tells the story of one of the first female stars in hip-hop history - Roxanne Shante. The film focuses on the beginning of her career when she was a freestyling, rapping prodigy in the Queensb

发表于:2019-01-16 / 阅读(55) / 评论(0) 分类 2018年NPR美国国家公共电台3月

Activists of the Women's Movement FEMEN, dressed as prostitutes, take part in a rally outside the Central Election Commission office in Kiev, Ukraine, 14 Jan 2010. The event was meant to highlight what the group called political prostitution and crud

发表于:2019-01-21 / 阅读(56) / 评论(0) 分类 VOA标准英语2010年(一月)

Fred: Hi, Anja. So, you're from Switzerland, right? Anja: Yes, I am. Fred: Oh, I was wondering because I was reading recently and I was wondering what were the traditions of Santa Claus in Switzerland? Anja: Yes, they are quite different I guess from

发表于:2019-01-31 / 阅读(46) / 评论(0) 分类 原版英语对话1000个

Todd: So Kate, can you talk about growing up in New Zealand, what its like? Kate: Growing up in New Zealand is very free. Kids have a lot more freedom that kids in other countries: we can.. obviously we go to school from 5 years and until 16 years ol

发表于:2019-02-09 / 阅读(58) / 评论(0) 分类 原版英语对话1000个

U.S. President Barack Obama's top counter-terrorism advisor says a threat from an al-Qaida affiliate led to the closure of the American embassy in Yemen. This same group has been linked to the attempted Christmas Day bombing of a U.S. airliner. John

发表于:2019-02-12 / 阅读(61) / 评论(0) 分类 VOA标准英语2010年(一月)