纸牌屋第一季 第16期:迈克尔科恩的社论
时间:2019-02-26 作者:英语课 分类:纸牌屋第一季
英语课
The editorial on the Camp David Accords.
关于戴维营协议的社论
"It is the opinion of this newspaper
本报认为
that President Carter demand Israel
卡特总统应要求以色列
withdraw all its citizens
撤出约旦河西岸
from the Gaza Strip and West Bank."
及加沙地带的所有以色列公民
纸牌屋第一季.jpg
"Which it has illegally occupied since 1967."
以色列自1967年以来就非法占据了该地区
Illegally occupied.
非法占据
That's quite an incendiary quote, don't you think?
这话肯定能引起轰动,你说呢
For an administration that says
毕竟这届政府表示
that the Middle East is its top foreign policy priority.
中东是外交政策的重中之重
Michael Kern?
迈克尔·科恩
Did he personally write the editorial?
社论是他亲自执笔的吗
He was the editor.
他是编辑
But did he write it himself?
但是他执笔的吗
Then there's no story.
那这就不算新闻
I'm saying it's a question worth asking.
我认为这是一个值得指出的问题
And if he denies involvement?
如果他否认与这篇文章有关呢
He will. Let him.
那是必然,随他去
This is a man trying to be confirmed as Secretary of State.
这个人正在等着正式上任国务卿
Everything is a story.
他的一切都是新闻
There's no direct link.
可是没有直接关联
I can't get this past Hammerchmidt.
汉默施密特不会允许见报的
Remember this moment when you resisted me,
记住你拒绝我的这一刻
when you said the words "Then there is no story."
记住你亲口说 "那这就不算新闻"
Get a good night's sleep, Ms. Barnes.
好好睡一觉吧,巴恩斯小姐
You have a big day tomorrow.
明天还有你忙的
Francis?
弗兰西斯
What is this?
这是什么
What does it look like?
你觉得像什么
But the basement is mine.
但地下室是我的
I know. It's not for me.
我知道,这不是给我的
So who's it for?
那是给谁的
For you.
给你的
There's a gym in the Capitol.
国会大厦有健身房
Which you never use.
你从来不去
Because I'm a tad busy running the country.
国事已经够我忙的了
But not at home, so now you have no excuse.
在家不用忙国事,你还要怎么说
I want it out.
把它给我拿出去
Give it a try first.
试试看嘛
Is this your subtle way of saying that I'm out of shape?
你是在委婉地表示我身材走样了吗
No, it's my way of suggesting
不,我不过是认为
you could be in better shape.
你的身材可以再好一点
That sounds both passiveaggressive
这句话既以退为进
and condescending 1.
又居高临下
Just plain aggressive and true.
我这是以诚为进
Don't wait up for me.
别等我
Are you going running now?
你这个时间去跑步吗
Yes, because I couldn't this morning.
对,因为我早上没跑成
I had an early meeting.
有个晨会
Use the monstrosity. It's freezing out.
外面那么冷,用这个怪物锻炼吧
You break it in.
你先来
It looks positively 2 medieval, doesn't it?
看上去像中世纪文物,不是吗
And to turn my only sanctuary 3 into a fitness dungeon 4.
把我仅有的圣殿变成健身地牢
I won't have it.
我绝不容忍
It's a stretch.
站不住脚
We're not misleading anyone.
我们没有误导读者
He was the editor. Did you call for a comment?
他的确是编辑,他们有回应吗
I tried three times.
我打了三次电话
The press secretary said he'd get back to me.
新闻发言人说他会回电
He didn't. What about research?
但他没回,背景调查呢
You couldn't find anything to echo the editorial?
有任何附和这篇社论的材料吗
No quotes, no oped pieces?
言论,评论文章
Don't you think if something like that existed,
你不觉得如果有的话
someone would have printed it by now?
早会有人报道了吗
Nobody else has this, Lucas.
只有我们知道,卢卡斯
I don't think there's a story here.
我觉得这算不上是新闻
I'm not saying there's a story.
我没说这是新闻
All I'm saying is that there's a question that needs to be answered.
我不过认为这是个应该提出的问题
This is a nominee 5 for Secretary of State.
这可是国务卿提名人
We have an editorial on Palestine and Israel.
而我们手上有份巴以社论
Which he didn't write.
却不是他写的
Which we don't know he didn't write.
我们无法确认这点
Exactly.
正是
We don't have to print it.
不非得见报啊
I could just scan the thing, stick it on a site,
我可以扫描一份,发在网上
and tweet the link.
然后推特网址
But if I did that, some other paper might
但那样的话,别家报纸
Whoa, whoa. Don't be a bitch.
行了,别那么贱
I'll talk to Tom.
我去和汤姆说
That's all I was asking.
我就是这个意思
We simply can't afford to allow the
我们不能允许...
We got a guy who's almost perfect.
我们找到一个绝佳人选
He's a libertarian drug fiend marinating in a mobile home.
他是一个窝在房车里的自由主义瘾君子
I didn't agree with President Reagan on many things,
我不赞成里根总统的很多主张
but there was some merit to the notion of trickledown economics,
但滴入式经济的理念确实有可取之处
and I feel there is much merit to the idea of trickledown diplomacy 6.
并且我认为滴入式外交也益处良多
If we can solve...
如果我们能解决...
Those are my lines.
那是我说的
Vasquez must have given them to him.
一定是瓦斯奎兹告诉他的
...stalemate between Israel and Palestine,
以色列和巴勒斯坦之间的僵局
that success will trickle down
这项成功将"滴入"
to a hundred other diplomatic dilemmas between Muslims,
其他穆斯林,犹太和基督教国家之间的
Jews, Christians
外交困境中
I'm glad you brought up Israel and Palestine
正好你提到了以色列和巴勒斯坦
because just before we came on the air,
我们直播前不久
I received an advance copy of an article
我收到一篇明天将刊登在
that's going to be in tomorrow's washington Herald's front page
《华盛顿先驱报》头版的报道样本
and was written by Zoe Barnes,
作者是佐伊·巴恩斯
and in it she quotes
其中她引用了一篇
an editorial that ran in the Williams College register
刊登在《威廉姆斯公报》上的一篇社论
when you were editor back in September 1978,
时间为1978年九月,你时任公报总编
adj.谦逊的,故意屈尊的
- He has a condescending attitude towards women. 他对女性总是居高临下。
- He tends to adopt a condescending manner when talking to young women. 和年轻女子说话时,他喜欢摆出一副高高在上的姿态。
adv.明确地,断然,坚决地;实在,确实
- She was positively glowing with happiness.她满脸幸福。
- The weather was positively poisonous.这天气着实讨厌。
n.圣所,圣堂,寺庙;禁猎区,保护区
- There was a sanctuary of political refugees behind the hospital.医院后面有一个政治难民的避难所。
- Most countries refuse to give sanctuary to people who hijack aeroplanes.大多数国家拒绝对劫机者提供庇护。
n.地牢,土牢
- They were driven into a dark dungeon.他们被人驱赶进入一个黑暗的地牢。
- He was just set free from a dungeon a few days ago.几天前,他刚从土牢里被放出来。
n.被提名者;被任命者;被推荐者
- His nominee for vice president was elected only after a second ballot.他提名的副总统在两轮投票后才当选。
- Mr.Francisco is standing as the official nominee for the post of District Secretary.弗朗西斯科先生是行政书记职位的正式提名人。
标签:
纸牌屋