纸牌屋第一季 第14期:先驱报
时间:2019-02-26 作者:英语课 分类:纸牌屋第一季
英语课
These bullet points reflect
着重号标出了
the key planks 1 at the center of our bill.
法案的核心条款
Get comfy.
坐舒服了
This is your home until we have a presentable first draft.
拿不出像样的初稿,就别想回家
Donald, what a morning.
唐纳德,今早真够呛
I have no idea how they got this.
我不知道他们怎么搞到的
纸牌屋第一季.jpg
I specifically told my staff to destroy everything.
我明确告诉手下销毁一切
I can't imagine. It doesn't matter how it happened.
我真不知... 那不是重点
We can't make it unhappen, so we have to adapt.
过去的没法改变,只能随机应变
Don't they realize that this is a first draft?
他们不知道这只是初稿吗
All we have here really is a perception problem.
其实就看你是站在什么角度了
We don't get a second chance at a first impression, Donald.
第一印象只有一次,唐纳德
You know that. Now, look, I'm on your side,
你也知道,我当然站在你这边
but Linda is furious.
但琳达很生气
What's she saying?
她是什么意思
They want to point fingers.
他们要找人怪罪
At me?
我吗
I told her we cannot do that.
我跟她说不能这样
I mean, you are vital to this process.
你对立法及其重要
I'm up to here with them, Donald
唐纳德,我受够他们了
for lying, for turning their back on you.
谎话连篇,落井下石
You know, I'm of a mind to say screw it.
我要说,去你的
I'll fall on this grenade myself,
这个栽我认了
just to piss them off.
就气死他们
Give me John King at CNN.
给我接CNN的约翰·金
Wait, Frank. This is not your fault.
等等,弗兰克,这不是你的错
No, we have to protect your reputation.
不,我们得保护你的声誉
But you're the man that needs to get the bill through the house.
但是你得保证法案通过投票
I will hang on. I will assign it to one of my deputies,
我会...等等,我会交待我的副手
quietly manage it, and I'll help guide you through the process.
私下搞定,教你怎么走那个过场
I am not comfortable with this.
我不喜欢这样
Well, then what do you suggest we do?
那你说我们怎么办
What a martyr 2 craves 3 more than anything
烈士最渴求的
is a sword to fall on,
就是壮烈牺牲
so you sharpen the blade,
所以,你磨好兵刃
hold it at just the right angle,
调整好角度
and then 3, 2, 1
默数三,二 , 一
It should be me.
我来
It was my bill.
这是我的法案
No. Impossible. Donald,
不行,唐纳德
education has been your life's work.
教育事业是你毕生的心血
The truth is my heart is not in this fight.
实际上,我的心根本不在这儿
You know me. I'm not a wheeler dealer 4.
你也知道,我不会精明算计
I can put my mind to policy,
我全心投入制定政策
but I'm no good at this brand of politics.
但没什么政治手腕
Well, if not you, then who?
那要找谁替你呢
It should be you, Frank.
应该你来,弗兰克
You're formidable. People respect you.
你令人敬畏,受人尊重
They will follow your lead. Let me
他们会听你的领导,让我
let me be on the sidelines for this.
让我置身事外吧
Well, I could only consider that as an option
要我考虑接受
if I knew that I could still come to you for counsel.
你得保证给我提建议
Of course. Whatever you need.
当然,听候差遣
Part of me is glad this got leaked.
我内心多少庆幸泄密了
Well, it would have been better if it hadn't,
如果没这事最好
but at least people know where I stand.
但至少人们知道了我的立场
Thank you, Donald.
谢谢你,唐纳德
Happy to do it, Frank.
我的荣幸,弗兰克
He has no idea we've got six kids in the next room
他不知道我们找了六个孩子在隔壁
already working on a new draft.
紧锣密鼓地拟定新草案
Stamper! But why dampen his mood by telling him?
斯坦普,何必要说出来让他伤心呢
We just gave him a great gift
我们刚刚给了他份大礼
a chance to fulfill 5 his destiny.
让他能完成使命
Write up a statement for Blythe
为布莱斯写一份声明
stepping aside, fresh ideas,
退位让贤,提出新想法
et cetera, et cetera, and make it dignified 6.
等等,等等 ,给他点面子
He's a good man.
他是个好人
Oh. And bring me that Williams editorial.
把威廉姆斯社论拿来
After careful thought and discussion with my staff,
经过慎重考虑和团队商议
I am relinquishing 7 my management of the education reform act.
我将不再负责教育改革法案
I hope to remain a part of the process,
我仍然希望能略尽绵力
but I won't be working
但我将不再...
Why did you leak the draft?
你为什么要泄露草案
I'm not exactly sure how it got leaked,
我不清楚怎么会泄露
but, uh, it does represent
但是它代表了
It came from your office, though, correct?
是从你办公室泄露出去的,对吗
Uh, we wrote it, but I don't
是我们起草的,但我不
Who'll be managing the bill now?
现在是谁负责这个法案
Frank Underwood.
弗兰克·安德伍德
Was that your choice,
是你的决定
or did the administration
还是政府
I feel very confident
弗兰克能力出众
placing the bill in Frank's capable hands.
由他接手法案,我非常放心
Ms. Barnes.
巴恩斯小姐
How very deep throat of you.
你真够深喉
Well, I can't help you dispatch a president.
我没法帮你撵走一个总统
How about a senator?
参议员怎么样
(厚)木板( plank的名词复数 ); 政纲条目,政策要点
- The house was built solidly of rough wooden planks. 这房子是用粗木板牢固地建造的。
- We sawed the log into planks. 我们把木头锯成了木板。
n.烈士,殉难者;vt.杀害,折磨,牺牲
- The martyr laid down his life for the cause of national independence.这位烈士是为了民族独立的事业而献身的。
- The newspaper carried the martyr's photo framed in black.报上登载了框有黑边的烈士遗像。
渴望,热望( crave的第三人称单数 ); 恳求,请求
- The tree craves calm but the wind will not drop. 树欲静而风不止。
- Victory would give him a passport to the riches he craves. 胜利将使他有机会获得自己梦寐以求的财富。
n.商人,贩子
- The dealer spent hours bargaining for the painting.那个商人为购买那幅画花了几个小时讨价还价。
- The dealer reduced the price for cash down.这家商店对付现金的人减价优惠。
vt.履行,实现,完成;满足,使满意
- If you make a promise you should fulfill it.如果你许诺了,你就要履行你的诺言。
- This company should be able to fulfill our requirements.这家公司应该能够满足我们的要求。
a.可敬的,高贵的
- Throughout his trial he maintained a dignified silence. 在整个审讯过程中,他始终沉默以保持尊严。
- He always strikes such a dignified pose before his girlfriend. 他总是在女友面前摆出这种庄严的姿态。
交出,让给( relinquish的现在分词 ); 放弃
- The international relinquishing of sovereignty would have to spring from the people. 在国际间放弃主权一举要由人民提出要求。
- We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. 我们很明白,没有人会为了废除权力而夺取权力。 来自英汉文学