英语听书《海底两万里》第223期 第17章 海底森林(4)
时间:2019-02-25 作者:英语课 分类:《海底两万里》中英双语有声读物
英语课
Near one o'clock, Captain Nemo gave the signal to halt. 到一点钟左右,尼摩船长发出暂时休息的信号。
Speaking for myself, I was glad to oblige, and we stretched out beneath an arbor 1 of winged kelp, whose long thin tendrils stood up like arrows. 在我来说,我很高兴能休息一下,我们于是在一个海草华盖下面躺下来,这海草的细长枝条像箭一般直插着。
This short break was a delight. 这一刻的休息我觉得很舒服,
It lacked only the charm of conversation. But it was impossible to speak, impossible to reply. 美中不足的是我们不能彼此交谈。没有法子说话,当然也没有法子回答。
I simply nudged my big copper 2 headpiece against Conseil's headpiece. 我仅仅把我粗大的铜头挨近康塞尔的铜头。
I saw a happy gleam in the gallant 3 lad's eyes, and to communicate his pleasure, he jiggled around inside his carapace 4 in the world's silliest way. 我看见了这老实人的眼睛闪出兴奋的亮光,又为表示满意起见,他在铜壳子里面乱摇乱摆,作最滑稽可笑的怪样子。
After four hours of strolling, I was quite astonished not to feel any intense hunger. 虽然走了四小时的路,我并不感到有吃东西的需要,心里很为惊异。
What kept my stomach in such a good mood I'm unable to say. 为什么会这样,我说不出来。
But, in exchange, I experienced that irresistible 5 desire for sleep that comes over every diver. 但另一方面,像所有潜水人一样,我感到很想睡觉,没有法子克制。
Accordingly, my eyes soon closed behind their heavy glass windows and I fell into an uncontrollable doze, 所以我的眼睛也就在很厚的玻璃后面闭起来,我立即掉到无法克制的昏睡中,这昏睡,
which until then I had been able to fight off only through the movements of our walking. 刚才也只是靠向前的走动才暂时制止了它。
Captain Nemo and his muscular companion were already stretched out in this clear crystal, setting us a fine naptime example. 尼摩船长和他的壮健同伴,早就躺在清澈的水晶体中,先给我们作出睡眠的榜样了。
How long I was sunk in this torpor 6 I cannot estimate; but when I awoke, it seemed as if the sun were settling toward the horizon. 我沉迷在这种昏睡中有多少时候,那我不能估计;但当我醒来的时候,看看太阳已经向西边低下去了。
Captain Nemo was already up, and I had started to stretch my limbs, when an unexpected apparition 7 brought me sharply to my feet. 尼摩船长已经站起来,我也开始伸展我的四肢,就在这个时候,出现一件意外的东西,我立即站起两脚。
n.凉亭;树木
- They sat in the arbor and chatted over tea.他们坐在凉亭里,边喝茶边聊天。
- You may have heard of Arbor Day at school.你可能在学校里听过植树节。
n.铜;铜币;铜器;adj.铜(制)的;(紫)铜色的
- The students are asked to prove the purity of copper.要求学生们检验铜的纯度。
- Copper is a good medium for the conduction of heat and electricity.铜是热和电的良导体。
adj.英勇的,豪侠的;(向女人)献殷勤的
- Huang Jiguang's gallant deed is known by all men. 黄继光的英勇事迹尽人皆知。
- These gallant soldiers will protect our country.这些勇敢的士兵会保卫我们的国家的。
n.(蟹或龟的)甲壳
- The tortoise pulled its head into his carapace.乌龟把头缩进它的壳里。
- He tickled gently at its glossy carapace,but the stubborn beetle would not budge.他轻轻地搔着甲虫光滑的壳,但这只固执的甲虫就是不动。
adj.非常诱人的,无法拒绝的,无法抗拒的
- The wheel of history rolls forward with an irresistible force.历史车轮滚滚向前,势不可挡。
- She saw an irresistible skirt in the store window.她看见商店的橱窗里有一条叫人着迷的裙子。
n.迟钝;麻木;(动物的)冬眠
- The sick person gradually falls into a torpor.病人逐渐变得迟钝。
- He fell into a deep torpor.他一下子进入了深度麻痹状态。
n.幽灵,神奇的现象
- He saw the apparition of his dead wife.他看见了他亡妻的幽灵。
- But the terror of this new apparition brought me to a stand.这新出现的幽灵吓得我站在那里一动也不敢动。
标签:
海底两万里