英语听书《海底两万里》第561期 第35章 尼摩船长的最后几句话(8)
时间:2018-12-06 作者:英语课 分类:《海底两万里》中英双语有声读物
英语课
I closed my eyes. I no longer wanted to think. 我闭上眼睛,我不愿意再想下去了。
A half hour still to wait! 还有半个小时的等待!
A half hour of nightmares that could drive me insane! 半个小时使我发疯的恶梦!
Just then I heard indistinct chords from the organ, melancholy 1 harmonies from some undefinable hymn, 这时,我听到了一阵朦胧的管风琴协奏声,那是一种难以形容的绝唱的哀乐,
actual pleadings from a soul trying to sever 2 its earthly ties. 是一颗与世隔绝的心灵的真正哀怨。
I listened with all my senses at once, barely breathing, 我屏住气,全神贯注地聆听着,
immersed like Captain Nemo in this musical trance that was drawing him beyond the bounds of this world. 像尼摩船长一样沉浸在这把他带离尘世之外的恍惚的乐声中。
Then a sudden thought terrified me. 突然,一种想法把我吓坏了:
Captain Nemo had left his stateroom. 尼摩船长离开了他的房间。
He was in the same lounge I had to cross in order to escape. 我仿佛看到他走到了我逃跑必经的客厅里,
There I would encounter him one last time. 在那里,我最后一次碰到了他。
He would see me, perhaps speak to me! 他看着我,他可能会跟我说话!
One gesture from him could obliterate 3 me, a single word shackle 4 me to his vessel 5! 而且他的一个手势就可能毁了我,他的一句话,就会把我拴在他的船上!
Even so, ten o'clock was about to strike. 然而,10点的钟声敲响了。
It was time to leave my stateroom and rejoin my companions. 我离开房间,与同伴会合的时刻到了。
I dared not hesitate, even if Captain Nemo stood before me. 这时,就是尼摩船长站在我面前,也没什么可犹豫了。
I opened the door cautiously, but as it swung on its hinges, it seemed to make a frightful 6 noise. 尽管我小心翼翼地打开了房门,我还是觉得我转动门链时发出了吓人的声响。
This noise existed, perhaps, only in my imagination! 这个声音可能只存在于我的想象中吧!
I crept forward through the Nautilus's dark gangways, pausing after each step to curb 7 the pounding of my heart. 我猫着腰穿过“鹦鹉螺号”船上黑暗的过道,我每走一步就停一下,以让我的心跳平息一下。
1 melancholy
n.忧郁,愁思;adj.令人感伤(沮丧)的,忧郁的
- All at once he fell into a state of profound melancholy.他立即陷入无尽的忧思之中。
- He felt melancholy after he failed the exam.这次考试没通过,他感到很郁闷。
2 sever
v.切开,割开;断绝,中断
- She wanted to sever all her connections with the firm.她想断绝和那家公司的所有联系。
- We must never sever the cultural vein of our nation.我们不能割断民族的文化血脉。
3 obliterate
v.擦去,涂抹,去掉...痕迹,消失,除去
- Whole villages were obliterated by fire.整座整座的村庄都被大火所吞噬。
- There was time enough to obliterate memories of how things once were for him.时间足以抹去他对过去经历的记忆。
4 shackle
n.桎梏,束缚物;v.加桎梏,加枷锁,束缚
- He's too young to shackle himself with the responsibilities of a family.他还太年轻,不能用家庭责任来束缚自己。
- This issue always is a shackle which confines the brand building of industry product.这个问题一直是限制工业品品牌塑造的桎梏。
5 vessel
n.船舶;容器,器皿;管,导管,血管
- The vessel is fully loaded with cargo for Shanghai.这艘船满载货物驶往上海。
- You should put the water into a vessel.你应该把水装入容器中。
标签:
海底两万里