英语听书《海底两万里》第557期 第35章 尼摩船长的最后几句话(4)
时间:2018-12-06 作者:英语课 分类:《海底两万里》中英双语有声读物
英语课
Conseil couldn't coax 1 a single word out of him and feared that, 康塞尔因为从加拿大人那里逼不出一句话,
in a fit of delirium 2 while under the sway of a ghastly homesickness, Ned would kill himself. 害怕他在过度颓丧中,在吓人的思乡病驱使下,会自行了断。
So he kept a devoted 3 watch on his friend every instant. 于是,康塞尔一刻不殆地忠诚地监护着他。
You can appreciate that under these conditions, our situation had become untenable. 我们明白,在这种处境下,我们再不能这样持续下去了。
One morning--whose date I'm unable to specify--I was slumbering 5 near the first hours of daylight, a painful, sickly slumber 4. 一天早上——在哪一天,我也说不上来——凌晨左右,我在艰苦和病态中昏昏欲睡。
Waking up, I saw Ned Land leaning over me, and I heard him tell me in a low voice: "We're going to escape!" 当我醒来时,我看到尼德·兰俯在我身上,低声地对我说: “我们逃走吧!”
I sat up. "When?" I asked. 我站起来。“什么时候?”我问。
"Tonight. There doesn't seem to be any supervision 6 left on the Nautilus. “今晚。‘鹦鹉螺号’上好像失去了一切监控,
You'd think a total daze 7 was reigning 8 on board. 船上似乎笼罩在恐慌中。
Will you be ready, sir?" 您准备好了吗,先生?”
"Yes. Where are we?" “是的,我们在哪里呢?”
"In sight of land. I saw it through the mists just this morning, twenty miles to the east." “今天早上,在浓雾中,我刚看到了在东边20海里处有一片陆地。”
"What land is it?" “那陆地是什么地方?”
"I've no idea, but whatever it is, there we'll take refuge." “我不知道,但不管是什么地方,我们都要往那里逃。”
"Yes, Ned! We'll escape tonight even if the sea swallows us up!" “好!尼德。好,我们今晚就逃走,就算大海把我们吐没了也要逃。”
"The sea's rough, the wind's blowing hard, but a twenty-mile run in the Nautilus's nimble longboat doesn't scare me. “海面情况很糟,风很猛,但在‘鹦鹉螺号’船上那艘轻便的小艇中划20海里,我是不怕的。
Unknown to the crew, I've stowed some food and flasks 9 of water inside." 而且我已经在艇上放了一些粮食和几瓶水,船上的人没发现。”
"I'm with you." “我跟您走。”
"What's more," the Canadian added, "if they catch me, I'll defend myself, I'll fight to the death." “此外,”加拿大人补充说,“如果我被发现,我要自卫,我让他们把我杀了好了。”
1 coax
v.哄诱,劝诱,用诱哄得到,诱取
- I had to coax the information out of him.我得用好话套出他掌握的情况。
- He tried to coax the secret from me.他试图哄骗我说出秘方。
2 delirium
n. 神智昏迷,说胡话;极度兴奋
- In her delirium, she had fallen to the floor several times. 她在神志不清的状态下几次摔倒在地上。
- For the next nine months, Job was in constant delirium.接下来的九个月,约伯处于持续精神错乱的状态。
3 devoted
adj.忠诚的,忠实的,热心的,献身于...的
- He devoted his life to the educational cause of the motherland.他为祖国的教育事业贡献了一生。
- We devoted a lengthy and full discussion to this topic.我们对这个题目进行了长时间的充分讨论。
4 slumber
n.睡眠,沉睡状态
- All the people in the hotels were wrapped in deep slumber.住在各旅馆里的人都已进入梦乡。
- Don't wake him from his slumber because he needs the rest.不要把他从睡眠中唤醒,因为他需要休息。
5 slumbering
微睡,睡眠(slumber的现在分词形式)
- It was quiet. All the other inhabitants of the slums were slumbering. 贫民窟里的人已经睡眠静了。
- Then soft music filled the air and soothed the slumbering heroes. 接着,空中响起了柔和的乐声,抚慰着安睡的英雄。
6 supervision
n.监督,管理
- The work was done under my supervision.这项工作是在我的监督之下完成的。
- The old man's will was executed under the personal supervision of the lawyer.老人的遗嘱是在律师的亲自监督下执行的。
7 daze
v.(使)茫然,(使)发昏
- The blow on the head dazed him for a moment.他头上受了一击后就昏眩了片刻。
- I like dazing to sit in the cafe by myself on Sunday.星期日爱独坐人少的咖啡室发呆。
标签:
海底两万里