英语小达人 273 Whiskey Does You Good
英语课
Whiskey Does You Good
威士忌对你有好处
A professor of chemistry wanted to teach his class a lesson about the evils of alcohol, so he produced an experiment that involved a glass of water, a glass of whiskey and two worms.
化学老师要给班里的同学们讲解酒的坏处,他用一杯水、一杯威士忌和两只蠕虫做了一个实验。
"Now, class, observe closely the worms," said the professor putting a worm first into the water. The worm in the water writhed 1 about, happy as a worm in water could be.
“同学们,注意观察这两只蠕虫,”老师说着将一只蠕虫放入水杯中。这只虫子如鱼得水般地在水中扭动着。
The second worm, he put into the whiskey. It writhed painfully, and quickly sand to the bottom, dead as a doornail.
老师又把第二只蠕虫放进了威士忌酒杯,它痛苦地扭动着,很快沉到了杯底,死了。
"Now, what lesson can we derive 2 from this experiment?" the professor asked.
“同学们,你们能从这个实验中得出什么结论呢?”老师问道。
Little Johnny, who naturally sits in back, volunteered, "Drink whiskey and you won't get worms!"
从来都是坐在教室后排的小约翰尼主动答道:“喝威士忌就不会长寄生虫!”
重点讲解:
1. do sb. good
对…有好处(或有帮助);
eg. The outing will do me good.
这次远足对我会有所助益。
eg. It's probably done you good to get away for a few hours.
离开几小时或许对你有好处。
eg. You don't do anybody any good by getting yourself arrested.
你要是被抓了对谁都没有好处。
2. derive from
获得;取得;得到;
eg. Mr Ying is one of those happy people who derive pleasure from helping 3 others.
英先生属于那种助人为乐的快活人。
eg. Mary has derived 4 a lot of benefit from her tuition.
玛丽从她的教学中得到很大收益。
eg. We can derive great pleasure from our studies.
我们可以从读书研究中获得极大的乐趣。
(因极度痛苦而)扭动或翻滚( writhe的过去式和过去分词 )
- He writhed at the memory, revolted with himself for that temporary weakness. 他一想起来就痛悔不已,只恨自己当一时糊涂。
- The insect, writhed, and lay prostrate again. 昆虫折腾了几下,重又直挺挺地倒了下去。
v.取得;导出;引申;来自;源自;出自
- We derive our sustenance from the land.我们从土地获取食物。
- We shall derive much benefit from reading good novels.我们将从优秀小说中获得很大好处。
n.食物的一份&adj.帮助人的,辅助的
- The poor children regularly pony up for a second helping of my hamburger. 那些可怜的孩子们总是要求我把我的汉堡包再给他们一份。
- By doing this, they may at times be helping to restore competition. 这样一来, 他在某些时候,有助于竞争的加强。
标签:
英语达人