英语听书《海底两万里》第289期 第21章 在陆地上的两天(20)
时间:2019-02-17 作者:英语课 分类:《海底两万里》中英双语有声读物
英语课
Am I disturbing you? I said out of politeness. 我打搅您吧?我有礼貌他说。
Correct, Professor Aronnax, the captain answered me. But I imagine you have pressing reasons for looking me up? 不错,阿龙纳斯先生,船长回答我,不过我想您来见我, 一定有紧急重大的事情。
Very pressing. Native dugout canoes are surrounding us, and in a few minutes we're sure to be assaulted by several hundred savages 1. 对,很紧急,很重大的事,土人的许多独木舟把我们围起来了,几分钟内,我们一定就要受到好几百土人的攻击了。
Ah! Captain Nemo put in serenely 2. They've come in their dugouts? 啊!尼摩船长安静地说,他们是乘他们的独木舟来的吗?
Yes, sir. 是的,先生。
Well, sir, closing the hatches should do the trick. 好吧,先生,把嵌板关上就够了。
Precisely 3, and that's what I came to tell you-- 正是,我就是来告诉您…
Nothing easier, Captain Nemo said. 再没有更容易的了.尼摩船长说。
And he pressed an electric button, transmitting an order to the crew's quarters. 他手按一个电钮,把命令传达到船员所在的岗位。
There, sir, all under control! he told me after a few moments. The skiff is in place and the hatches are closed. 命令执行了,先生,他过一刻后对我说,小艇放好了,嵌板关上了。
I don't imagine you're worried that these gentlemen will stave in walls that shells from your frigate 4 couldn't breach 5? 我想,这些钢铁墙壁,就是林肯号战舰的炮弹都不能伤损的,你现在不害怕那些土人先生们会冲进来了吧?
No, captain, but one danger still remains 6. 不害怕了,船长;但还有一个危险存在。
What's that, sir? 先生,什么危险呢?
Tomorrow at about this time, we'll need to reopen the hatches to renew the Nautilus's air. 就是明天又要打开嵌板来调换诺第留斯号的空气…
No argument, sir, since our craft breathes in the manner favored by cetaceans. 那不用说,先生,因为我们的船是跟鲸鱼类一般呼吸的。
But if these Papuans are occupying the platform at that moment, I don't see how you can prevent them from entering. 可是,如果这个时候,巴布亚人占据了平台,我真不知。道您怎样可以不让他们进来呢。
Then, sir, you assume they'll board the ship? 那么,先生,您以为他们可以走上船来吗?
I'm certain of it. 我想是可以。
Well, sir, let them come aboard. I see no reason to prevent them. 好,先生,让他们上来好了。我看不出有什么理由可以阻止他们。
Deep down they're just poor devils, these Papuans, and I don't want my visit to Gueboroa Island to cost the life of a single one of these unfortunate people! 实际上,这些已布亚人是很可怜悯的,我在访问格波罗尔岛的过程中,就是只牺牲一个这样苦命人的生命,我也不愿意!
未开化的人,野蛮人( savage的名词复数 )
- There're some savages living in the forest. 森林里居住着一些野人。
- That's an island inhabited by savages. 那是一个野蛮人居住的岛屿。
adv.安详地,宁静地,平静地
- The boat sailed serenely on towards the horizon.小船平稳地向着天水交接处驶去。
- It was a serenely beautiful night.那是一个宁静美丽的夜晚。
adv.恰好,正好,精确地,细致地
- It's precisely that sort of slick sales-talk that I mistrust.我不相信的正是那种油腔滑调的推销宣传。
- The man adjusted very precisely.那个人调得很准。
n.护航舰,大型驱逐舰
- An enemy frigate bore down on the sloop.一艘敌驱逐舰向这只护航舰逼过来。
- I declare we could fight frigate.我敢说我们简直可以和一艘战舰交战。
n.违反,不履行;破裂;vt.冲破,攻破
- We won't have any breach of discipline.我们不允许任何破坏纪律的现象。
- He was sued for breach of contract.他因不履行合同而被起诉。
标签:
海底两万里