月亮和六便士 第十二章(5)
时间:2019-02-13 作者:英语课 分类:月亮和六便士
英语课
Do you mean to say you didn't leave your wife for another woman? “你是说你不是因为另外一个女人才离开你妻子?”
Of course not. “当然不是。”
On your word of honour? “你敢发誓?”
I don't know why I asked for that. It was very ingenuous 1 of me. 我不知道为什么我这样要求他。我问这句话完全没有动脑子。
On my word of honour. “我发誓。”
Then, what in God's name have you left her for? “那么你到底是为什么离开她的?”
I want to paint. “我要画画儿。”
I looked at him for quite a long time. I did not understand. I thought he was mad. 我半天半天目不转睛地盯着他。我一点儿也不理解。我想这个人准是疯了。
It must be remembered that I was very young, and I looked upon him as a middle-aged 2 man. 读者应该记住,我那时还很年轻,我把他看做是一个中年人。
I forgot everything but my own amazement 3. 我除了感到自己的惊诧外什么都不记得了。
But you're forty. “可是你已经四十了。”
That's what made me think it was high time to begin. “正是因为这个我才想,如果现在再不开始就太晚了。”
Have you ever painted? “你过去画过画儿吗?”
I rather wanted to be a painter when I was a boy, but my father made me go into business because he said there was no money in art. “我小的时候很想作个画家,可是我父亲叫我去作生意,因为他认为学艺术赚不了钱。
I began to paint a bit a year ago. For the last year I've been going to some classes at night. 一年以前我开始画了点儿画。去年我一直在夜校上课。”
Was that where you went when Mrs. Strickland thought you were playing bridge at your club? “思特里克兰德太太以为你在俱乐部玩桥牌的时间你都是去上课吗?”
That's it. “对了。”
Why didn't you tell her? “你为什么不告诉她?”
I preferred to keep it to myself. “我觉得还是别让她知道好。”
Can you paint? “你能够画了吗?”
Not yet. But I shall. That's why I've come over here. I couldn't get what I wanted in London. Perhaps I can here. “还不成。但是我将来能够学会的。正是为了这个我才到巴黎来。在伦敦我得不到我要求的东西。也许在这里我会得到的。”
Do you think it's likely that a man will do any good when he starts at your age? Most men begin painting at eighteen. “你认为象你这样年纪的人开始学画还能够学得好吗?大多数人都是十八岁开始学。”
I can learn quicker than I could when I was eighteen. “如果我十八岁学,会比现在学得快一些。”
What makes you think you have any talent? “你怎么会认为自己还有一些绘画的才能?”
He did not answer for a minute. His gaze 4 rested on the passing throng 5, but I do not think he saw it. His answer was no answer. 他并没有马上回答我的问题。他的目光停在过往的人群上,但是我认为他什么也没有看见。最后他回答我的话根本算不上是回答。
I've got to paint. “我必须画画儿。”
Aren't you taking an awful chance? “你这样做是不是完全在碰运气?”
He looked at me. His eyes had something strange in them, so that I felt rather uncomfortable. 这时他把目光转到我身上。他的眼睛里有一种奇怪的神情,叫我觉得不太舒服。
How old are you? Twenty-three? “你多大年纪?二十三岁?”
It seemed to me that the question was beside the point. 我觉得他提这个问题与我们谈的事毫不相干。
It was natural that I should take chances; but he was a man whose youth was past, a stockbroker 6 with a position of respectability, a wife and two children. 如果我想碰碰运气做一件什么事的话,这是极其自然的事;但是他的青年时代早已过去了,他是一个有身份有地位的证券经纪人,家里有一个老婆、两个孩子。
A course that would have been natural for me was absurd 7 for him. I wished to be quite fair. 对我说来是自然的道路在他那里就成为荒谬悻理的了。但是我还是想尽量对他公道一些。
adj.纯朴的,单纯的;天真的;坦率的
- Only the most ingenuous person would believe such a weak excuse!只有最天真的人才会相信这么一个站不住脚的借口!
- With ingenuous sincerity,he captivated his audience.他以自己的率真迷住了观众。
adj.中年的
- I noticed two middle-aged passengers.我注意到两个中年乘客。
- The new skin balm was welcome by middle-aged women.这种新护肤香膏受到了中年妇女的欢迎。
n.惊奇,惊讶
- All those around him looked at him with amazement.周围的人都对他投射出惊异的眼光。
- He looked at me in blank amazement.他带着迷茫惊诧的神情望着我。
v.凝视,盯,注视;n.凝视
- Her cheeks grew hot beneath the gaze of so many eyes.在众目睽睽之下,她的脸红了。
- He fixed his gaze on her.他凝视着她。
n.人群,群众;v.拥挤,群集
- A patient throng was waiting in silence.一大群耐心的人在静静地等着。
- The crowds thronged into the mall.人群涌进大厅。
n.股票(或证券),经纪人(或机构)
- The main business of stockbroker is to help clients buy and sell shares.股票经纪人的主要业务是帮客户买卖股票。
- My stockbroker manages my portfolio for me.我的证券经纪人替我管理投资组合。
标签:
月亮和六便士