月亮和六便士 第八章(3)
时间:2019-02-13 作者:英语课 分类:月亮和六便士
英语课
Finally it occurred to me that I would call as though nothing had happened, 最后我想了个主意:我应该象什么事也没发生那样到她家去,
and send a message in by the maid asking Mrs.Strickland if it was convenient for her to see me. 先叫使女进去问一声,思特里克兰德太太方便不方便会客。
This would give her the opportunity to send me away. 如果她不想见我,就可以把我打发走了。
But I was overwhelmed with embarrassment 1 when I said to the maid the phrase I had prepared, 尽管如此,在我对使女讲起我事前准备的一套话时,我还是窘得要命。
and while I waited for the answer in a dark passage I had to call up all my strength of mind not to bolt. 当我在幽暗的过道里等着回话的当儿,我不得不鼓起全部勇气才没有中途溜掉。
The maid came back. 使女从里面走出来。
Her manner suggested to my excited fancy a complete knowledge of the domestic calamity 2. 也可能是我过于激动,胡乱猜想,我觉得从那使女的神情看,好象她已经完全知道这家人遭遇的不幸了。
Will you come this way, sir? she said. "请您跟我来,先生,"她说。
I followed her into the drawing-room. 我跟在她后面走进客厅。
The blinds were partly drawn 3 to darken the room, and Mrs. Strickland was sitting with her back to the light. 为了使室内光线暗淡,窗帘没有完全拉开。思特里克兰德太太背着光坐着。
Her brother-in-law, Colonel MacAndrew, stood in front of the fireplace, warming his back at an unlit fire. 思特里克兰德太太的姐夫麦克安德鲁上校正站在壁炉前面,在没有燃旺的火炉前边烤自己的脊背。
To myself my entrance seemed excessively awkward. 我觉得我闯进来是一件极其尴尬的事。
I imagined that my arrival had taken them by surprise, and Mrs.Strickland had let me come in only because she had forgotten to put me off. 我猜想我到这里来一定很出他们意料之外,思特里克兰德太太只是忘记同我另外约会日子才不得不让我进来。
I fancied that the Colonel resented the interruption. 我还想,上校一定为我打扰了他们非常生气。
I wasn't quite sure if you expected me, I said, trying to seem unconcerned. "我不太清楚,你是不是等着我来,"我说,故意装作一副若无其事的样子。
Of course I did. Anne will bring the tea in a minute. "当然我在等着你。安妮马上就把茶拿来。"
Even in the darkened room, I could not help seeing that Mrs.Strickland's face was all swollen 4 with tears. 尽管屋子里光线很暗,我也看出来思特里克兰德太太的眼睛已经哭肿了。
Her skin, never very good, was earthy. 她的面色本来就不太好,现在更是变成土灰色了。
You remember my brother-in-law, don't you? You met at dinner, just before the holidays. "你还记得我的姐夫吧?度假以前,你在这里吃饭的那天和他见过面。"
We shook hands. 我们握了握手。
I felt so shy that I could think of nothing to say, but Mrs.Strickland came to my rescue. 我感到忐忑不安,想不出一句好说的话来。但是思特里克兰德太太解救了我;
She asked me what I had been doing with myself during the summer, and with this help I managed to make some conversation till tea was brought in. 她问起我怎样消夏的事。有她提了这个头,我多少也找到些话说,直捱到使女端上茶点来。
The Colonel asked for a whisky-and-soda. 上校要了一杯苏打威士忌。
You'd better have one too, Amy, he said. "你最好也喝一杯,阿美,"他说。
No; I prefer tea. "不,我还是喝茶吧。"
n.尴尬;使人为难的人(事物);障碍;窘迫
- She could have died away with embarrassment.她窘迫得要死。
- Coughing at a concert can be a real embarrassment.在音乐会上咳嗽真会使人难堪。
n.灾害,祸患,不幸事件
- Even a greater natural calamity cannot daunt us. 再大的自然灾害也压不垮我们。
- The attack on Pearl Harbor was a crushing calamity.偷袭珍珠港(对美军来说)是一场毁灭性的灾难。
v.拖,拉,拔出;adj.憔悴的,紧张的
- All the characters in the story are drawn from life.故事中的所有人物都取材于生活。
- Her gaze was drawn irresistibly to the scene outside.她的目光禁不住被外面的风景所吸引。
标签:
月亮和六便士