时间:2019-02-13 作者:英语课 分类:月亮和六便士


英语课

   Mrs. Strickland was the daughter of an Indian civilian 1, who on his retirement 2 had settled in the depths of the country,  思特里克兰德太太的父亲在印度当过文职官吏,退休以后定居到英国偏远的乡间,


  but it was his habit every August to take his family to Eastbourne for change of air;  但每年八月他总要带着一家老小到伊思特堡恩去换一换环境。
  and it was here, when she was twenty, that she met Charles Strickland.  她就是在那里认识了查理斯·思特里克兰德的。
  He was twenty-three. They played together, walked on the front together, listened together to the nigger minstrels;  那一年她二十岁,思特里克兰德二十三岁。他们一起打网球,在滨海大路上散步,听黑人流浪歌手唱歌。
  and she had made up her mind to accept him a week before he proposed to her.  在他正式提出以前一个星期她已经决心接受他的求婚了。
  They lived in London, first in Hampstead, and then, as he grew more prosperous, in town. Two children were born to them. 他们在伦敦定居下来,开始时住在汉普斯台德区,后来他们的生活逐渐富裕起来,便搬到市区里来。他们有两个孩子。
  He always seemed very fond of them. Even if he was tired of me, I wonder that he had the heart to leave them.  “他好象一直很喜欢这两个孩子。即使他对我厌倦了,我不理解他怎么会忍心把孩子也抛弃了。
  It's all so incredible 3. Even now I can hardly believe it's true. 这一切简直令人不能置信。到了今天我也不能相信这会是真事。”
  At last she showed me the letter he had written. I was curious to see it, but had not ventured to ask for it. 最后她把他写来的信拿出来给我看。我本来就有些好奇,可是一直没敢大胆提出来。
  "MY DEAR AMY,I think you will find everything all right in the flat.  亲爱的阿美:我想你会发现家中一切都已安排好。
  I have given Anne your instructions, and dinner will be ready for you and the children when you come.  你嘱咐安妮的事我都已转告她。你同孩子到家以后晚饭会给你们准备好。
  I shall not be there to meet you. I have made up my mind to live apart from you, and I am going to Paris in the morning.  我将不能迎接你们了。我已决心同你分居另过,明晨我就去巴黎。
  I shall post this letter on my arrival. I shall not come back. My decision is irrevocable." 这封信我等到巴黎后再发出。我不回来了。我的决定不能更改了。
  "Yours always,CHARLES STRICKLAND.""" 永远是你的,查理斯·思特里克兰德
  Not a word of explanation or regret. Don't you think it's inhuman 4? “没有一句解释的话,也丝毫没有表示歉仄不安。你是不是觉得这人太没有人性了?”
  It's a very strange letter under the circumstances, I replied. “在这种情况下这封信是很奇怪,”我回答。
  There's only one explanation, and that is that he's not himself.  “只有一个解释,那就是他人已经变了。
  I don't know who this woman is who's got hold of him, but she's made him into another man.  我不知道是哪个女人把他抓在手掌里,但是她肯定把他变成另外一个人了。
  It's evidently been going on a long time. 事情非常清楚,这件事已经进行了很长一段时间了。”
  What makes you think that? “你这么想有什么根据?”
  Fred found that out. My husband said he went to the club three or four nights a week to play bridge.  “弗雷德已经发现了。我丈夫总是说每星期他要去俱乐部打三四个晚上桥牌。
  Fred knows one of the members, and said something about Charles being a great bridge-player.  弗雷德认识那个俱乐部的一个会员,有一次同他说起查理斯喜欢打桥牌的事。
  The man was surprised. He said he'd never even seen Charles in the card-room.  这个人非常惊讶,他说他从来没有在玩牌的屋子看见过查理斯。
  It's quite clear now that when I thought Charles was at his club he was with her. 这就非常清楚了,我以为查理斯在俱乐部的时间,实际上他是在同那个女人厮混。”

adj.平民的,民用的,民众的
  • There is no reliable information about civilian casualties.关于平民的伤亡还没有确凿的信息。
  • He resigned his commission to take up a civilian job.他辞去军职而从事平民工作。
n.退休,退职
  • She wanted to enjoy her retirement without being beset by financial worries.她想享受退休生活而不必为金钱担忧。
  • I have to put everything away for my retirement.我必须把一切都积蓄起来以便退休后用。
adj.难以置信的,不可信的,极好的,大量的
  • Some planets run at incredible speed.某些星球以难以置信的速度运行着。
  • Her answer showed the most incredible stupidity.她的回答显示出不可思议的愚蠢。
adj.残忍的,不人道的,无人性的
  • We must unite the workers in fighting against inhuman conditions.我们必须使工人们团结起来反对那些难以忍受的工作条件。
  • It was inhuman to refuse him permission to see his wife.不容许他去看自己的妻子是太不近人情了。
标签: 月亮和六便士