月亮和六便士 第十九章(2)
时间:2019-02-13 作者:英语课 分类:月亮和六便士
英语课
When I told him that I meant to live in Paris for a while, and had taken an apartment, he reproached me bitterly for not having let him know. 当我告诉他我准备在巴黎住一段日子,而且寓所已经租好的时候,他使劲儿责备我没有事前同他商量。
He would have found me an apartment himself, and lent me furniture—did I really mean that I had gone to the expense of buying it? — 他会替我找到一处合适的住处,会借给我家具 ——难道我真的花了一笔冤枉钱去买吗?——,
and he would have helped me to move in. 而且他还可以帮我搬家。
He really looked upon it as unfriendly that I had not given him the opportunity of making himself useful to me. 我没有给他这个替我服务的机会在他看来是太不够朋友了,他说的是真心话。
Meanwhile, Mrs. Stroeve sat quietly mending her stockings, without talking, and she listened to all he said with a quiet smile on her lips. 在他同我谈话的当儿,施特略夫太太一直安安静静地坐在那里补袜子。她自己什么也没说,只是听着她丈夫在谈话,嘴角上挂着一抹安详的笑容。
So, you see, I'm married, he said suddenly; "what do you think of my wife?" “你看到了,我已经结婚了,”他突然说,“你看我的妻子怎么样?”
He beamed at her, and settled his spectacles on the bridge of his nose. 他笑容满面地看着她,把眼镜在鼻梁上架好。
The sweat made them constantly slip down. 汗水不断地使他的眼镜滑落下来。
What on earth do you expect me to say to that? I laughed. “你叫我怎么回答这个问题呢?”我笑了起来。
Really, Dirk, put in Mrs. Stroeve, smiling. “可不是嘛,戴尔克,”施特略夫太太插了一句说,也微笑起来。
But isn't she wonderful? I tell you, my boy, lose no time; get married as soon as ever you can. “可是你不觉得她太好了吗?我告诉你,老朋友,不要耽搁时间了,赶快结婚吧。
I'm the happiest man alive. Look at her sitting there. Doesn't she make a picture? Chardin, eh? 我现在是世界上最幸福的人。你看看她坐在那儿,不是一幅绝妙的图画吗?象不象夏尔丹【让·西麦翁·夏尔丹(1699—1779),法国画家】的画,啊?
I've seen all the most beautiful women in the world; I've never seen anyone more beautiful than Madame Dirk Stroeve. 世界上最漂亮的女人我都见过了,可是我还没有看见过有比戴尔克·施特略夫夫人更美的呢。”
If you don't be quiet, Dirk, I shall go away. Mon petit chou, he said. “要是你再不住口,戴尔克,我就出去了。”“我的小宝贝。”他说。
She flushed a little, embarrassed by the passion in his tone. 她的脸泛上一层红晕,他语调中流露出的热情让她感到有些不好意思。
His letters had told me that he was very much in love with his wife, and I saw that he could hardly take his eyes off her. 施特略夫在给我的信里谈到过他非常爱他的妻子,现在我看到,他的眼睛几乎一刻也舍不得从她身上离开。
I could not tell if she loved him. 我说不上她是不是爱他。
Poor pantaloon, he was not an object to excite love, but the smile in her eyes was affectionate, 这个可怜的傻瓜,他不是一个能引起女人爱情的人物。但施特略夫太太眼睛里的笑容是含着爱怜的,
and it was possible that her reserve concealed 1 a very deep feeling. 在她的缄默后面也可能隐藏着深挚的感情。
She was not the ravishing creature that his love-sick fancy saw, but she had a grave comeliness 2. 她并不是他那相思倾慕的幻觉中的令人神驰目眩的美女,但是却另有一种端庄秀丽的风姿。
She was rather tall, and her gray dress, simple and quite well-cut, did not hide the fact that her figure was beautiful. 她的个子比较高,一身剪裁得体的朴素衣衫掩盖不住她美丽的身段。
It was a figure that might have appealed more to the sculptor 3 than to the costumier. 她的这种体型可能对雕塑家比对服装商更有吸引力。
Her hair, brown and abundant, was plainly done, her face was very pale, and her features were good without being distinguished 4. She had quiet gray eyes. 她的一头棕色的浓发式样很简单,面色白净,五官秀丽,但并不美艳。
She just missed being beautiful, and in missing it was not even pretty. 她只差一点儿就称得起是个美人,但是正因为差这一点儿,却连漂亮也算不上了。
But when Stroeve spoke 5 of Chardin it was not without reason, and she reminded me curiously 6 of that pleasant housewife in her mob-cap and apron 7 whom the great painter has immortalised. 施特略夫谈到夏尔丹的画并不是随口一说的,她的样子令人奇怪地想到这位大画家的不朽之笔 ——那个戴着头巾式女帽、系着围裙的可爱的主妇。
a.隐藏的,隐蔽的
- The paintings were concealed beneath a thick layer of plaster. 那些画被隐藏在厚厚的灰泥层下面。
- I think he had a gun concealed about his person. 我认为他当时身上藏有一支枪。
n. 清秀, 美丽, 合宜
- Your comeliness is law with Mr. Wildeve. 你的美貌,对于韦狄先生,就是律令。
- Her comeliness overwhelmed him. 她的清秀美丽使他倾倒。
n.雕刻家,雕刻家
- A sculptor forms her material.雕塑家把材料塑造成雕塑品。
- The sculptor rounded the clay into a sphere.那位雕塑家把黏土做成了一个球状。
adj.卓越的,杰出的,著名的
- Elephants are distinguished from other animals by their long noses.大象以其长长的鼻子显示出与其他动物的不同。
- A banquet was given in honor of the distinguished guests.宴会是为了向贵宾们致敬而举行的。
n.(车轮的)辐条;轮辐;破坏某人的计划;阻挠某人的行动 v.讲,谈(speak的过去式);说;演说;从某种观点来说
- They sourced the spoke nuts from our company.他们的轮辐螺帽是从我们公司获得的。
- The spokes of a wheel are the bars that connect the outer ring to the centre.辐条是轮子上连接外圈与中心的条棒。
adv.有求知欲地;好问地;奇特地
- He looked curiously at the people.他好奇地看着那些人。
- He took long stealthy strides. His hands were curiously cold.他迈着悄没声息的大步。他的双手出奇地冷。
标签:
月亮和六便士