月亮和六便士 第二十五章(3)
时间:2019-02-13 作者:英语课 分类:月亮和六便士
英语课
He looked round the studio ruefully. 他懊丧地环顾了一下画室。
On the easel was a half-finished picture of a smiling Italian peasant, holding a bunch of grapes over the head of a dark-eyed girl. 画架上立着一幅未完成的油画——一个意大利农民笑容满面地拿着一串葡萄,在一个黑眼睛的小女孩头顶上擎着。
Even if he didn't like them he should have been civil. “即使他不喜欢你的画也应该有一点礼貌啊。
He needn't have insulted you. 他没有必要侮辱你。
He showed that he despised you, and you lick his hand. Oh, I hate him. 他的态度很清楚地表现出对你非常鄙视,可是你却还要舔他的手。啊,我讨厌这个人。”
Dear child, he has genius. “亲爱的孩子,他是有天才的。
You don't think I believe that I have it. 不要认为我相信自己也有天才。
I wish I had; but I know it when I see it, and I honour it with all my heart. It's the most wonderful thing in the world. 我倒希望我有呢。但是别人谁是天才我看得出来,我从心眼里尊重这种人。天才是世界上最奇妙的东西。
It's a great burden to its possessors. 对于他们本人说来,天才是一个很大的负担。
We should be very tolerant with them, and very patient. 我们对这些人必须非常容忍,非常耐心才行。”
I stood apart, somewhat embarrassed by the domestic scene, and wondered why Stroeve had insisted on my coming with him. 我站在一旁听着,这幕家庭冲突使我有些尴尬。我不了解施特略夫为什么非要我同他一起来不可。
I saw that his wife was on the verge 1 of tears. 我看到他的妻子眼泪已经快要流出来了。
But it's not only because he's a genius that I ask you to let me bring him here; it's because he's a human being, and he is ill and poor. “但是我求你让我把他带来,并不只因为他是个天才。我要这样做是因为他是个人,是因为他害着病,因为他一个钱也没有。”
I will never have him in my house—never. “我永远也不让他进咱们的家门——永远也不让。”
Stroeve turned to me. 施特略夫转过身来,面对着我。
Tell her that it's a matter of life and death. “你对她讲一讲吧,这是一件生死攸关的事。
It's impossible to leave him in that wretched hole. 无论如何也不能把他扔在那个倒霉的地方不管。”
It's quite obvious that it would be much easier to nurse him here, I said, "but of course it would be very inconvenient 2. “事情非常清楚,让他到这里来调养要好得多,”我说,“但是当然了,这对你们是很不方便的。
I have an idea that someone will have to be with him day and night." 我想得有一个人日夜照看着他。”
n.边,边缘;v.接近,濒临
- The country's economy is on the verge of collapse.国家的经济已到了崩溃的边缘。
- She was on the verge of bursting into tears.她快要哭出来了。
adj.不方便的,令人感到麻烦的
- You have come at a very inconvenient time.你来得最不适时。
- Will it be inconvenient for him to attend that meeting?他参加那次会议会不方便吗?
标签:
月亮和六便士