英语小达人 250 I'm Free Now
英语课
I'm Free Now
现在我自由了
A couple were celebrating their 30th wedding anniversary 1 at their home.
一对夫妇在家庆祝结婚30周年。
Everyone was having a great time except for the wife who sat off in a corner with a tear in her eye. The family attorney 2 came over to her and asked what was wrong.
每个人都很尽兴,只有那个妻子坐在角落里,暗自垂泪。家庭律师走过来问她怎么了。
The wife told him, "Remember when we first got married and I told you that I couldn't stand him after about a month into the marriage? I really hated him at the time."
她说:“我们婚后大约一个月时,我对你说过我受不了他,你还记得吗?那时候我真的很讨厌他。”
"Yeah, I remember those trying times," replied the attorney.
“是的,我记得那段难捱的日子,”律师说。
"I absolutely hated him. I even had bad thoughts of killing 3 him, remember?"
“当时我真是恨他呀。我甚至想过杀了他,记得吗?”
"Yes, I do."
“是的。”
"But you kept telling me to get rid of those thoughts. You said that I would get up to thirty years for such a crime 4."
“是你一直劝我不要那样想。你说那样的话,我最高会获罪30年。”
"That was a long time ago though. Why are you so sad now?"
“那是很久以前的事了。你现在干吗这么伤心。”
"Because... I could have been a free woman by now!"
“因为从现在起,我就重获自由了!”
重点讲解:
1. have a great time
玩得高兴;过得非常愉快;玩得愉快;
eg. We'll have a great time camping out, I'm sure.
我确定我们会在露营时玩得很开心。
eg. Users 5 can still have a great time singing songs while stuck in a traffic jam.
塞车时,车内的人仍可以尽情歌唱来欢度时光。
2. except for
除了;除…之外;唯有;
eg. He hadn't eaten a thing except for one forkful of salad.
除了一餐叉色拉,他什么都没吃。
eg. Everyone was late, except for Richard.
除了理查德,其他所有人都迟到了。
3. get rid of
扔掉;丢弃;摆脱;甩掉;赶走;
eg. The owner needs to get rid of the car for financial reasons.
因为经济原因,车主必须把汽车处理掉。
eg. She will have to get rid of the excess 6 weight on her hips 7.
她得减去臀部多余的脂肪。
eg. You seem in rather a hurry to get rid of me.
看起来你急于想摆脱我。
4. up to
高达;多达;
eg. Up to twenty thousand students paid between five and six thousand dollars.
多达20,000名学生支付了5,000到6,000美元。
eg. It could be up to two years before the process is complete.
这一过程可能要两年时间才能完成。
n.周年(纪念日)
- They celebrate their wedding anniversary annually.他们每年庆祝一番结婚纪念日。
- Today is my parents'30th wedding anniversary.今天是我父母结婚30周年纪念日。
n.(业务或法律事务上的)代理人,辩护律师
- He acted as attorney for me.他充当我的律师。
- The attorney for the union accused the Mayor of playing politics.工会的律师谴责市长在这次罢工中耍阴谋。
n.巨额利润;突然赚大钱,发大财
- Investors are set to make a killing from the sell-off.投资者准备清仓以便大赚一笔。
- Last week my brother made a killing on Wall Street.上个周我兄弟在华尔街赚了一大笔。
n.犯罪,罪行,罪恶
- You'll have to pay for your crime.你得为你的罪行付出代价。
- Crime in our big cities is on the increase.在我们大城市里犯罪率正在增长。
用户,使用者( user的名词复数 )
- The new software will prove a boon to Internet users. 这种新软件将会对互联网用户大有益处。
- Ramps should be provided for wheelchair users. 应该给轮椅使用者提供坡道。
n.过量,过度;超越;adj.过量的,附加的
- He advised his son never to spend in excess of his income.他劝儿子开支不可超过收入。
- You're too fat;try and run off all those excess pounds.你太胖了,要跑跑步减肥。