英语听书《海底两万里》第396期 第25章 地中海四十八小时(22)
时间:2019-01-27 作者:英语课 分类:《海底两万里》中英双语有声读物
英语课
I would have stayed longer at my window, marveling at these beauties of sea and sky, but the panels closed. 我停留在玻璃窗面前,欣赏海和天的美景,我停留了很久,一直到嵌板闭起来。
Just then the Nautilus had arrived at the perpendicular 1 face of that high wall. How the ship would maneuver 2 I hadn't a guess. 这时候,诺第留斯号到了那座高墙壁立垂直的地方了。它怎样行驶,我无法猜测。
I repaired to my stateroom. The Nautilus did not stir. 我回房间中来,诺第留斯号不动了。
I fell asleep with the firm intention of waking up in just a few hours. 我睡觉的时候,打定主意,只唾几小时就要醒来。
But it was eight o'clock the next day when I returned to the lounge. 但第二天我到厅中来看,已经八点了。
I stared at the pressure gauge 3. It told me that the Nautilus was afloat on the surface of the ocean. Furthermore, I heard the sound of footsteps on the platform. 我看一下压力表,晓得诺第留斯号是在洋面上行走。同时我也听到平台上有脚步声。
Yet there were no rolling movements to indicate the presence of waves undulating above me. 可是船没有一点摇摆,并不表示出海上波浪起伏的情况。
I climbed as far as the hatch. It was open. But instead of the broad daylight I was expecting, I found that I was surrounded by total darkness. 我一直上到嵌板边,板是敞开的,但我一看,并不是我所想的大白天,四周都是一片漆黑。
Where were we? Had I been mistaken? Was it still night? No! Not one star was twinkling, and nighttime is never so utterly 4 black. 我们是在哪里?我是搞错了吗?现在还是黑夜吗?不!没有一颗星光照耀着。并且就是黑夜也没有这样的漆黑。
I wasn't sure what to think, when a voice said to me:Is that you, professor? 我简直没有法子想象,这时候,有人声对我说:教授,是您吗?
Ah, Captain Nemo! I replied. Where are we? 啊!尼摩船长,我回答,我们现在在哪里呢?
Underground, professor. 教授,在地下呢。
Underground! I exclaimed. And the Nautilus is still floating? 在地下!我喊道,但诺第留斯号还是浮着走呢?
It always floats. 它老是浮着走的。
But I don't understand! 那,我可真不懂了?
adj.垂直的,直立的;n.垂直线,垂直的位置
- The two lines of bones are set perpendicular to one another.这两排骨头相互垂直。
- The wall is out of the perpendicular.这墙有些倾斜。
n.策略[pl.]演习;v.(巧妙)控制;用策略
- All the fighters landed safely on the airport after the military maneuver.在军事演习后,所有战斗机都安全降落在机场上。
- I did get her attention with this maneuver.我用这个策略确实引起了她的注意。
v.精确计量;估计;n.标准度量;计量器
- Can you gauge what her reaction is likely to be?你能揣测她的反应可能是什么吗?
- It's difficult to gauge one's character.要判断一个人的品格是很困难的。
标签:
海底两万里