时间:2018-12-31 作者:英语课 分类:《海底两万里》中英双语有声读物


英语课

 But my companions and I would be willing to safeguard this manuscript, and if you give us back our freedom... “但我,我的同伴,我们随时准备着保护这本手稿,如果您让我们自由的话……”


Your freedom! Captain Nemo put in, standing 1 up. “自由!”船长说着站起来。
"Yes, sir, and that's the subject on which I wanted to confer with you.  “是的,先生,我来正是想跟您谈谈这个问题。
For seven months we've been aboard your vessel 2, and I ask you today, in the name of my companions as well as myself, if you intend to keep us here forever." 我们在您的船上已经呆了七个月,今天我以我和我的同伴的名义问您,您是否想永远把我们留在这里。”
Professor Aronnax, Captain Nemo said, "I'll answer you today just as I did seven months ago: “阿龙纳斯教授,”尼摩船长说,“我今天的回答和我七个月前对您说过的那些话一样:
whoever boards the Nautilus must never leave it." 进了‘鹦鹉螺号’,就再也不能出去。” 
What you're inflicting 3 on us is outright 4 slavery! “您正向我们施加奴隶制。”
Call it anything you like. “随便您怎么说好了。”
But every slave has the right to recover his freedom!  “可奴隶有恢复自由的权利!
By any worthwhile, available means! 不管以什么方式获得自由,他都会认为自己是对的!”
Who has denied you that right? Captain Nemo replied. "Did I ever try to bind 5 you with your word of honor?" “这个权利,”尼摩船长回答说,“谁说过您没有?我有想过用誓言把你们约束住吗?”
The captain stared at me, crossing his arms. 船长看着我,双手交叉在胸前。
Sir, I told him, "to take up this subject a second time would be distasteful to both of us. “先生,”我对他说,“我们第二次回到这个我本不想谈您也不想谈的问题上吧。
So let's finish what we've started.  既然我们已经谈到了,就让我们说个痛快吧。
I repeat: it isn't just for myself that I raise this issue. 我向您重复说一次,这是一个不仅仅涉及到我个人的问题。
To me, research is a relief, a potent 6 diversion, an enticement 7, a passion that can make me forget everything else. 对于我来说,搞研究就是一种救助, 一种有效的消遣,一种动力,一种能让我忘掉一切的情愫。
Like you, I'm a man neglected and unknown, 我像您一样,是一个不求人知,只求默默无闻地生活的人。
living in the faint hope that someday I can pass on to future generations the fruits of my labors—figuratively speaking, by means of some contrivance left to the luck of winds and waves. 我们都抱着一种微弱的希望,希望有朝一日把自己的工作成果放进一个不可靠的小盒子,托付给风浪,随风而去,留给后人。

n.持续,地位;adj.永久的,不动的,直立的,不流动的
  • After the earthquake only a few houses were left standing.地震过后只有几幢房屋还立着。
  • They're standing out against any change in the law.他们坚决反对对法律做任何修改。
n.船舶;容器,器皿;管,导管,血管
  • The vessel is fully loaded with cargo for Shanghai.这艘船满载货物驶往上海。
  • You should put the water into a vessel.你应该把水装入容器中。
把…强加给,使承受,遭受( inflict的现在分词 )
  • He was charged with maliciously inflicting grievous bodily harm. 他被控蓄意严重伤害他人身体。
  • It's impossible to do research without inflicting some pain on animals. 搞研究不让动物遭点罪是不可能的。
adv.坦率地;彻底地;立即;adj.无疑的;彻底的
  • If you have a complaint you should tell me outright.如果你有不满意的事,你应该直率地对我说。
  • You should persuade her to marry you outright.你应该彻底劝服她嫁给你。
vt.捆,包扎;装订;约束;使凝固;vi.变硬
  • I will let the waiter bind up the parcel for you.我让服务生帮你把包裹包起来。
  • He wants a shirt that does not bind him.他要一件不使他觉得过紧的衬衫。
adj.强有力的,有权势的;有效力的
  • The medicine had a potent effect on your disease.这药物对你的病疗效很大。
  • We must account of his potent influence.我们必须考虑他的强有力的影响。
n.诱骗,诱人
  • He fell victim to her enticement. 他被她的魅力征服了。
  • He ought to curb his excessive internal desires and resist unreasonable enticement. 控制过度内欲、抵制不当外惑。
标签: 海底两万里