英语听书《海底两万里》第521期 第32章 海湾暖流(12)
时间:2018-12-31 作者:英语课 分类:《海底两万里》中英双语有声读物
英语课
In short, I can admire you and comfortably go with you while playing a role I only partly understand; 一句话,我很佩服您,您可以毫无顾忌地扮演您的角色,那个我在某些方面了解的角色;
but I still catch glimpses of other aspects of your life that are surrounded by involvements and secrets that, alone on board, my companions and I can't share. 但您生活中还有一些方面还蒙着一层复杂和神秘的色彩,对此我和我的同伴们,我们一无所解。
And even when our hearts could beat with yours, moved by some of your griefs or stirred by your deeds of courage and genius, 甚至,当我们的心为您而跳动,为您的某些痛苦而激动,为您的天才和勇敢行为而鼓舞时,
we've had to stifle 1 even the slightest token of that sympathy that arises at the sight of something fine and good, whether it comes from friend or enemy. 我们还必须尽可能地控制由于看到善和美或碰到敌或友而应该流露出来的情感,我们丝毫不能表露出来。
All right then! 啊!
It's this feeling of being alien to your deepest concerns that makes our situation unacceptable, impossible, even impossible for me but especially for Ned Land. 正是我们对于有关您的一切的这种陌生感,使我们的处境变得有些不可接受,不可容忍,甚至连我也感觉无法忍受,对于尼德·兰就更不用说了。
Every man, by virtue 2 of his very humanity, deserves fair treatment. 但每个人,只要他是一个人,就值得别人为他着想。
Have you considered how a love of freedom and hatred 3 of slavery could lead to plans of vengeance 4 in a temperament 5 like the Canadian's, 您有没有想过,对自由的热爱,对被奴役的憎恨,可能使加拿大人那样性格的人产生报复的念头,您有没有想过,
what he might think, attempt, endeavor?" 他会怎么想,会怎么策划,会怎么做呢?”
I fell silent. Captain Nemo stood up. 我缄口不言了。尼摩船长站起来。
Ned Land can think, attempt, or endeavor anything he wants, what difference is it to me? “让尼德·兰想他乐意想的,图谋他想图谋的,做他想做的事情去吧,这跟我有什么关系?
I didn't go looking for him! I don't keep him on board for my pleasure! 又不是我找他来的!我又不是乐意留他在我的船上!
As for you, Professor Aronnax, you're a man able to understand anything, even silence. 至于您,阿龙纳斯教授,您是个明白一切的人,不说您也是这样的。
I have nothing more to say to you. 我再也没什么可回答您了。
Let this first time you've come to discuss this subject also be the last, because a second time I won't even listen. 但愿这是您第一次谈这个问题,也是最后一次,因为如果还有第二次,我就连听都不想听了。”
vt.使窒息;闷死;扼杀;抑止,阻止
- She tried hard to stifle her laughter.她强忍住笑。
- It was an uninteresting conversation and I had to stifle a yawn.那是一次枯燥无味的交谈,我不得不强忍住自己的呵欠。
n.德行,美德;贞操;优点;功效,效力
- He was considered to be a paragon of virtue.他被认为是品德尽善尽美的典范。
- You need to decorate your mind with virtue.你应该用德行美化心灵。
n.憎恶,憎恨,仇恨
- He looked at me with hatred in his eyes.他以憎恨的眼光望着我。
- The old man was seized with burning hatred for the fascists.老人对法西斯主义者充满了仇恨。
n.报复,报仇,复仇
- He swore vengeance against the men who murdered his father.他发誓要向那些杀害他父亲的人报仇。
- For years he brooded vengeance.多年来他一直在盘算报仇。
n.气质,性格,性情
- The analysis of what kind of temperament you possess is vital.分析一下你有什么样的气质是十分重要的。
- Success often depends on temperament.成功常常取决于一个人的性格。
标签:
海底两万里