英语听书《海底两万里》第529期 第33章 北纬47.24度, 西经17.28度(4)
时间:2018-12-31 作者:英语课 分类:《海底两万里》中英双语有声读物
英语课
The Nautilus's fishermen had some trouble getting a grip on this animal, which, thanks to the formation of its gill covers, “鹦鹉螺号”船上的人费了好些劲才抓到这只动物。这只动物的鳃盖骨构造特殊,
can protect its respiratory organs from any parching 1 contact with the air and can live out of water for a good while. 接触干燥的空气后还能保持呼吸,因此离开水后还能存活一段时间。
And I'll mention--for the record--some little banded blennies that follow ships into the northernmost seas, 为了备忘,我现在要列举出:丛鱼,一种陪伴着北极海中的船只的小鱼;
sharp-snouted carp exclusive to the north Atlantic, scorpionfish, 北大西洋特有的银白色尖嘴鱼;伊豆鲉鱼;
and lastly the gadoid family, chiefly the cod 2 species, which I detected in their waters of choice over these inexhaustible Grand Banks. 我还注意到一种原则上属于鳕类的鳕鱼,在纽芬兰岛连绵的沙滩上和在这一带它们偏爱的水域里,我都能意外地见到它们。
Because Newfoundland is simply an underwater peak, you could call these cod mountain fish. 听说鳕鱼是山里的鱼,因为纽芬兰岛就是一座海底山峰。
While the Nautilus was clearing a path through their tight ranks, Conseil couldn't refrain from making this comment: 当“鹦鹉螺号”船只在鱼群密集的地方开辟出一条路时,康塞尔禁不住评论说:
"Mercy, look at these cod!" he said. "Why, I thought cod were flat, like dab 3 or sole!" “哦!这些鳕鱼!我还以为鳕鱼像盖蝶和箬鳎鱼一样扁平呢?”
"Innocent boy!" I exclaimed. "Cod are flat only at the grocery store, where they're cut open and spread out on display. “天真!”我喊道,“只有在杂货店里的鳕鱼才是扁平的。在杂货店里,人们把它们破膛摊开。
But in the water they're like mullet, spindle-shaped and perfectly 4 built for speed." 但在水里,这种鱼像鲻鱼一样是梭形的,很适合在水中穿行。”
"I can easily believe master," Conseil replied. "But what crowds of them! What swarms 5!" “我相信先生,”康塞尔回答说,“一块多密集的云啊,像蚂蚁一样密密麻麻!”
adj.烘烤似的,焦干似的v.(使)焦干, (使)干透( parch的现在分词 );使(某人)极口渴
- A burning forehead, and a parching tongue. 没有炽热的头脑,焦渴的嘴唇。 来自互联网
n.鳕鱼;v.愚弄;哄骗
- They salt down cod for winter use.他们腌鳕鱼留着冬天吃。
- Cod are found in the North Atlantic and the North Sea.北大西洋和北海有鳕鱼。
v.轻触,轻拍,轻涂;n.(颜料等的)轻涂
- She returned wearing a dab of rouge on each cheekbone.她回来时,两边面颊上涂有一点淡淡的胭脂。
- She gave me a dab of potatoes with my supper.她给我晚饭时,还给了一点土豆。
adv.完美地,无可非议地,彻底地
- The witnesses were each perfectly certain of what they said.证人们个个对自己所说的话十分肯定。
- Everything that we're doing is all perfectly above board.我们做的每件事情都是光明正大的。
标签:
海底两万里