It was Evan's first time to walk alone to the school bus stop. The bus stop was a block from his home. It was next to a bodega. A bodega worker saw Evan. He offered Evan, 6, a soda. He led Evan down into the basement. He choked him to death. He put h

发表于:2019-02-15 / 阅读(35) / 评论(0) 分类 英文短篇故事(纽约)

One year of practice was all he needed. He practiced bowling for a year. Then he entered a pro tournament. He bowled three 300 games for a perfect 900 series. He did that six times against six competitors. He won the tournament. He practiced pitching

发表于:2019-02-15 / 阅读(35) / 评论(0) 分类 英文短篇故事(纽约)

The woman yelled at him. You're going the wrong way! she yelled. Why don't you obey the rules? She was pretty. He stopped. He got off his bike. He said, I was just trying to save time. She said, Well, you won't be saving time if you injure someone. I

发表于:2019-02-15 / 阅读(58) / 评论(0) 分类 英文短篇故事(纽约)

Ray was at the 99 Cents store on 32nd Street. He was third in line. He was behind two men. That was good. Men usually paid with cash. They usually bought only a few items at a time. But the man at the head of the line was taking forever. Ray looked h

发表于:2019-02-15 / 阅读(34) / 评论(0) 分类 英文短篇故事(纽约)

Bo is three years old. He's a beagle. He is Jason's pride and joy. Jason said, I love Bo like he's my son. I know that sounds crazy. But if you met him, you'd love him too. He has these big, floppy ears. He snores when he sleeps. He chases his tail.

发表于:2019-02-15 / 阅读(34) / 评论(0) 分类 英文短篇故事(纽约)

She won the jackpot. Her lottery ticket was worth $32 million after taxes. She presented the ticket to lottery officials. They asked her to sign it. She was too nervous to sign it. She asked her son, 40, to sign it for her. He didn't sign her name to

发表于:2019-02-15 / 阅读(44) / 评论(0) 分类 英文短篇故事(纽约)

Ihavebeentheretoo. 我也经历过;我也去过那里 例句: A:Howcomeitcanhappentome? 这怎么会发生在我身上? B:Don'tworry.Ihavebeentheretoo. 我也经历过。 A:IwenttoNewYorklastweek. 我上周去了纽约。 B:Ihavebeentheretoo.It

发表于:2019-02-15 / 阅读(57) / 评论(0) 分类 跟艾米莉一起学口语

Like the rest of the network, they suffer from over-use and chronic under-investment. 与其他交通网络情况类似的是,这些隧道在投资不足的情况下被过度压榨。 Damage caused by Hurricane Sandy in 2012 has not yet been repair

发表于:2019-02-17 / 阅读(40) / 评论(0) 分类 经济学人综合

In a ranking of global financial centres last month, published by Z/Yen, London topped the think-tanks league, a whisker above New York. 在智库Z/Yen上月公布的全球金融中心排行榜中,伦敦位居榜首,略微领先于纽约。 Littl

发表于:2019-02-18 / 阅读(45) / 评论(0) 分类 英语新闻

Mason's brother-in-law David was scheduled for surgery. It's his heart. They're going to saw through his sternum, said David's wife. He'll be in the hospital for about five days. It'll take him about five months to recover fully. But he should feel a

发表于:2019-02-22 / 阅读(56) / 评论(0) 分类 英文短篇故事(纽约)

She pulled her small cart into the apartment building elevator. She had just been grocery shopping. She pushed the button for the ninth floor. A man was already standing inside. He said, Hi. I'm new here in Manhattan. Can you tell me where I can buy

发表于:2019-02-22 / 阅读(54) / 评论(0) 分类 英文短篇故事(纽约)

She wasn't getting enough sleep. She blamed him. She wanted to sleep in the other bedroom. He said, You can't do that. Married people should sleep in the same bedroom and in the same bed. She said, Not if one of them sounds like a farm animal. He pro

发表于:2019-02-22 / 阅读(76) / 评论(0) 分类 英文短篇故事(纽约)

A 17-year-old girl in Ohio has sleeping beauty syndrome. Julie appears to be perfectly normal. She's an excellent student. She has good friends at school and church. But occasionally, she has spells. During these spells, she sleeps up to 18 hours a d

发表于:2019-02-22 / 阅读(59) / 评论(0) 分类 英文短篇故事(纽约)

Bob pushed the power button on his laptop computer. Nothing happened. What?, he wondered. He pushed it again. Nothing happened. He pushed the button again and again. Finally, after maybe 50 pushes, the button worked. The little blue light came on. A

发表于:2019-02-22 / 阅读(63) / 评论(0) 分类 英文短篇故事(纽约)

Jay's niece Sonya, 30, sent him a wedding invitation. She had finally found Mr. Right. Jay called his dad. Jay said, Congratulations! You might be a great grandpa again next year. His dad didn't seem too happy. Jay asked, Is something wrong? Dad said

发表于:2019-02-22 / 阅读(48) / 评论(0) 分类 英文短篇故事(纽约)

Ned and Jan worked for the Bronx Zoo. They were monkey experts. Elmer was one of twelve monkeys. He didn't socialize much. Ned and Jan tried occasionally to get Elmer to mate, but he firmly resisted those efforts. Maybe he wants prettier females, jok

发表于:2019-02-22 / 阅读(122) / 评论(0) 分类 英文短篇故事(纽约)

Grandma heard sobbing. She knocked on Nellie's bedroom door. Can I come in, honey? Grandma asked. Nellie said yes. Grandma saw Nellie's wet eyes. She saw tears on her cheeks. She gave Nellie some tissues. Nellie dried her eyes and blew her noseHonk!

发表于:2019-02-22 / 阅读(107) / 评论(0) 分类 英文短篇故事(纽约)

The man was walking his dog on the south side of 29th Street. The dog stopped. The man stopped. The dog squatted. It did its business. The man gathered the poop into a plastic bag. He and the dog started walking. Naomi said, Excuse me! You're suppose

发表于:2019-02-22 / 阅读(134) / 评论(0) 分类 英文短篇故事(纽约)

The two spirits were talking. I'm bored. Who shall we be today? asked Booboo. Nono said, Why don't you be Jack, and I'll be Jill? Booboo agreed. They entered the minds of Jack and Jill. Jack and Jill were at a bar, drinking a beer. They always drank

发表于:2019-02-22 / 阅读(113) / 评论(0) 分类 英文短篇故事(纽约)

THAT city will, in the course of time, become the granary of the world, the emporium of commerce, the seat of manufactures, the focus of great monied operations, predicted DeWitt Clinton, governor of New York in 1824. He was speaking about the effect

发表于:2019-02-24 / 阅读(61) / 评论(0) 分类 经济学人综合