Britain's role in Sierra Leone: Prime Minister's broadcast, Friday 19 May 2000 There are many things about this country which make us proud. But close to the top of any list must come our Armed Forces. Their professionalism and courage has earned re

发表于:2018-12-04 / 阅读(97) / 评论(0) 分类 布莱尔首相演讲

Syrian Rebels Eye EU Oil Trade In his backyard north of the city of Idlib, Ahmed Abu Taleb and his friend use handpumps to transfer a barrel of crude oil into a tank. A fire burns in a pit dug below the tank. Then drip by drip, through a simple syste

发表于:2018-12-16 / 阅读(50) / 评论(0) 分类 VOA标准英语2013年(五月)

A: Could you help me with something? B: What can I help you with? A: I need help finding a book. B: What book are you looking for? A: A book on reptiles. B: Most of our animal books would be found in the childrens section. A: Where would I find the r

发表于:2018-12-16 / 阅读(35) / 评论(0) 分类 英语情景对话-邻居

A: Will you help me, please? B: What do you need? A: Im looking for a book. B: What book would you like? A: Its a book on reptiles. B: Some of those books would be found in our childrens section. A: And the rest? B: The rest can be found in the scien

发表于:2018-12-16 / 阅读(51) / 评论(0) 分类 英语情景对话-邻居

It's a big country, but still, how can anything be left of Iraq? When you look at the news on TV, all you see is one explosion after another. Helicopters falling from the sky, and vehicles flying into the sky. Suicide bombers committing homicide, and

发表于:2018-12-31 / 阅读(63) / 评论(0) 分类 365个英语简短小故事

Japan Joins Asia-Americas Trade Talks Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe says the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) is a framework for future prosperity in the Asia Pacific. Our participation is not just for the benefit of Japan's economy, but rather,

发表于:2019-01-08 / 阅读(53) / 评论(0) 分类 VOA标准英语2013年(三月)

THIS IS AMERICA - A Cool Place That Welcomes Geeks? Try the Public Library BARBARA KLEIN: Welcome to THIS IS AMERICA in VOA Special English. Im Barbara Klein. CHRISTOPHER CRUISE: And Im Christopher Cruise. This week on our program, we tell you about

发表于:2019-01-12 / 阅读(76) / 评论(0) 分类 2011年VOA慢速英语(七)月

Economics Report - How Gold Became the Gold Standard for Trade 经济报道 - 黄金是如何成为贸易金本位的? This is the VOA Special English Economics Report. 这里是美国之音慢速英语经济报道。 The best example of something

发表于:2019-01-12 / 阅读(83) / 评论(0) 分类 2012年VOA慢速英语(四)月

By Al Pessin Pentagon 22 June 2007 The second-ranking U.S. commander in Iraq says the week-old offensive against insurgent groups in and around Baghdad could create conditions for the start of a U.S. withdrawal sometime between this fall and next spr

发表于:2019-01-13 / 阅读(75) / 评论(0) 分类 2007年VOA标准英语(六月)

E-books Catch on at Public Library Complete the following sentence: You go to the library to check out . . . . .? The obvious answer is books. But a harder question might be, What do we mean by book? Electronic books or e-books, have established a fi

发表于:2019-01-13 / 阅读(46) / 评论(0) 分类 VOA标准英语2012年(七月)

Titanic Exhibit Brings the Tragic Story to Life When the ocean liner RMS Titanic hit an iceberg and sank on its maiden voyage in 1912, more than 1,500 passengers died. It made headlines as one of the worst peacetime maritime disasters in history. The

发表于:2019-01-14 / 阅读(61) / 评论(0) 分类 VOA标准英语2011年(六月)

Trade Barriers Impede Food Security When the food crisis began several years ago, with soaring prices and supply shortages, governments agreed to invest much more in agriculture. And with predictions of a global population of nine billion by 2050, th

发表于:2019-01-14 / 阅读(64) / 评论(0) 分类 VOA标准英语2011年(五月)

Former Prostitute Rescues Girls from Sex Trade Rachel Lloyd understands why and how young girls become prostitutes. She was once once herself. I grew up with a lot of trauma and dysfunction in my family, she says. So by the time I was like 13, I drop

发表于:2019-01-14 / 阅读(35) / 评论(0) 分类 VOA标准英语2011年(四月)

Report: LRA Rebel Defections on the Rise A new report says the Lords Resistance Army killed fewer people, launched fewer attacks and had a higher number of defections in 2012 than in recent years. The LRA Crisis Tracker project monitors the rebels ac

发表于:2019-01-14 / 阅读(286) / 评论(0) 分类 VOA标准英语2013年(二月)

Trade Tops US, China Talks Wednesday Chinese officials say an unexpected drop in trade, both imports and exports, reflects rising labor costs and weak overseas demand -- key concerns for the world's two largest economies as their foreign and finance

发表于:2019-01-14 / 阅读(56) / 评论(0) 分类 VOA标准英语2013年(七月)

The Obama administration on Tuesday announced new sanctions against an array of Iranian-controlled companies, entities and individuals said to be helping Tehran evade nuclear sanctions or promote terrorism. The State Department said there are signs t

发表于:2019-02-06 / 阅读(73) / 评论(0) 分类 VOA标准英语2010年(八)月

A baby's born in the middle of the night in a local delivery room They grab his feet, smack him till he cries he goes home the next afternoon 'Fore you know it he's off to school and then he graduates in May Goes out and gets a Ph.D. and then cures

发表于:2019-02-06 / 阅读(99) / 评论(0) 分类 美国乡村音乐

今天我们要学的词是trauma。Trauma, 是创伤的意思,可以是身体上的,也可以是心理上的。 He suffered head trauma from the car crash, 车祸让他头部受创。 The veteran still suffers psychological trauma from his days

发表于:2019-02-07 / 阅读(32) / 评论(0) 分类 英语单词荟萃

By Margaret Besheer Baghdad 09 April 2007 Tens of thousands of supporters of radical Shiite cleric Moqtada al-Sadr responded to his call for mass demonstrations in the Shiite holy city of Najaf Monday. From Baghdad, VOA's Margaret Besheer has more. F

发表于:2019-02-08 / 阅读(105) / 评论(0) 分类 2007年VOA标准英语(四月)

By Derek Kilner Nairobi 16 November 2007 Kenya's Electoral Commission has approved nine candidates for December's presidential contest. Derek Kilner reports from Nairobi, where President Mwai Kibaki and top challenger Raila Odinga were among those pr

发表于:2019-02-13 / 阅读(44) / 评论(0) 分类 VOA常速英语2007年(十一月)