Built, Burned, Bakery: A Short History of the US Capitol Building The United States Capitol is one of the most famous buildings in Washington. The Capitol building is also one of the best-known symbols of the U.S. government. And it has been around f

发表于:2018-12-10 / 阅读(48) / 评论(0) 分类 2018年VOA慢速英语(十一)月

Emotionally charged protests are under way at the state Capitol in Madison, Wisconsin over a bill critics call a union-busting measure. Democrats in the state Senate fled the state yesterday, forcing Republicans to delay action on the controversial m

发表于:2018-12-17 / 阅读(62) / 评论(0) 分类 2011年NPR美国国家公共电台2月

Explanation: States are vested with (or are given) many powers and responsibilities, so they need to have strong leadership (or direction and management from one person or a small group of people). The leader of each state is called a governor. Each

发表于:2018-12-28 / 阅读(36) / 评论(0) 分类 美国精神

Before Christ was born people believed there were many gods who were like good and bad fairies, 在基督诞生之前,人们相信世界上有很多神,这些神有的像善良的仙子,有的像邪恶的精灵, and statues were made of them

发表于:2018-12-28 / 阅读(43) / 评论(0) 分类 美国学生世界地理教材

今天我们要学的词组是long odds。 Long odds的意思是不太可能,可能性很小。比如美式足球第41届超级杯大赛,赛前有报道说,芝加哥熊队不太可能打败印第安那波利斯小马队, Chicago Bears faces l

发表于:2018-12-30 / 阅读(61) / 评论(0) 分类 英语每日一词

Hello there! From the CNN center in Atlanta. I m Naamua Delaney. And here are some of the headlines NOW IN THE NEWS. There is a disturbing case at an Illinois cemetery to report. More than 300 bodies at a historic African- America s cemetery may hav

发表于:2019-01-07 / 阅读(70) / 评论(0) 分类 CNN2009年(七)月

Hey there. I'm Carl Azuz and this is CNN Student News! It's the end of an era for one generation of American history. We're gonna explain why in just a few. But we start today in Washington, D.C. Congress is back in session, and the House and Senate

发表于:2019-01-08 / 阅读(114) / 评论(0) 分类 CNN2011年(三)月

Republican Senator Judd Gregg of New Hampshire is the latest Obama administration appointee to abruptly pull his name out of contention. In a statement issued late today, Gregg cited what he termed irresolvable conflicts with the President's handlin

发表于:2019-01-08 / 阅读(109) / 评论(0) 分类 2009年NPR美国国家公共电台2月

1. Bill Clinton was one of the many mourners who attended a service for former Texas Governor Ann Richards in the state Capitol Rotunda . Her body will lie in state for the next two days before her fu

发表于:2019-01-08 / 阅读(95) / 评论(0) 分类 美联社新闻一分钟2006

1. The US launched its largest air assault in Iraq since the war began in 2003. Operation Swarmer, as it's being called, will continue over the next few days. 2. Firefighters in Texas hope a break in

发表于:2019-01-08 / 阅读(111) / 评论(0) 分类 美联社新闻一分钟2006

1. The US has hit a grim milestone in Iraq. The Pentagon announced that at least 3,000 American soldiers have died in the war in Iraq. At least 111 service members have died in December alone, making it the deadliest month this year for the military

发表于:2019-01-08 / 阅读(130) / 评论(0) 分类 美联社新闻一分钟2007

1. There has been more sound and fury than substance in today's congressional hearing into BP. The chairman of the oil giant apologized for the spill in the Gulf, but didnt answer many questions. And instead, he didnt have the answers with him. 2. De

发表于:2019-01-11 / 阅读(115) / 评论(0) 分类 美联社新闻一分钟2010(六月)

1.President Barack Obama and Congressional Democrats are seeking to ease Republican concerns about a massive economic stimulus plan. The president and top Democrats met at the White House with GOP leaders and promised to consider some of their recom

发表于:2019-01-11 / 阅读(106) / 评论(0) 分类 美联社新闻一分钟2009年(一)月

1. Republican Scott Walker is reaching out to Democrats after hanging onto his job as governor Wisconsin. He won a recall election Tuesday. 2. Two Suicide bombers killed more than 20 people near a coalition base in southern Afghanistan. The Taliban c

发表于:2019-01-11 / 阅读(120) / 评论(0) 分类 美联社新闻一分钟2012(六月)

1. A high-flying surprise as a one-person helicopter landed on the lawn of the US Capitol Wednesday afternoon. Police immediately took the pilot into custody and shut down area street. 2. The jury found former NFL star Aaron Hernandez guilty of first

发表于:2019-01-11 / 阅读(111) / 评论(0) 分类 美联社新闻一分钟2015(四)月

Bible Event Held at Capitol As Fewer Americans Identify as Religious Hundreds of Christians gathered recently in front of the United States Capitol building on a cold and rainy day. They began a public reading of their holy book, the Bible. They kept

发表于:2019-01-12 / 阅读(40) / 评论(0) 分类 2016年VOA慢速英语(五)月

Occupy Protesters Swarm US Capitol in Washington As the protesters held what they call a general assembly on the Capitol grounds, police responded to a suspicious man wearing a Philadelphia police uniform. Why is he being searched, asked one proteste

发表于:2019-01-13 / 阅读(112) / 评论(0) 分类 VOA标准英语2012年(一月)

今天我们要学的词是shortlist。 Shortlist, 是指供挑选的最后名单。 Three democrats made the shortlist for the soon-to-be vacant secretary of state position for Colorado, 三个民主党人进入最后的候选人名单,角逐科罗拉

发表于:2019-02-05 / 阅读(47) / 评论(0) 分类 英语每日一词

Joel: I'm sorry, what was your name again? Ruth: My name is Ruth Archibald. Joel: Ruth. OK, where are you from? Ruth: I'm from Ireland. Joel: Ireland. OK. I can notice your accent a little bit. I've never been to Ireland before. What's famous about I

发表于:2019-02-06 / 阅读(54) / 评论(0) 分类 原版英语对话1000个

President Barack Obama is putting pressure on Congress to pass legislation he proposed earlier this year that he said will boost the U.S. economy. In an election year with the state of the economy as a major issue, President Obama is calling on lawma

发表于:2019-02-18 / 阅读(44) / 评论(0) 分类 英语新闻