木偶奇遇记 第162期:匹诺曹梦想成真(8)
英语课
At this question, the Donkey opened weary, dying eyes and answered in the same tongue: "I am Lamp-Wick." 驴子听了这声问话,睁开疲惫垂死的眼睛,用同样的语调回答:“我是小灯芯。”
Then he closed his eyes and died. 它说完闭上眼睛,死了。
"Oh, my poor Lamp-Wick," said Pinocchio in a faint voice, “噢,我可怜的小灯芯,”皮诺乔低声说。
as he wiped his eyes with some straw he had picked up from the ground. 接着他拿起一把干草擦了擦他的眼睛。
"Do you feel so sorry for a little donkey that has cost you nothing?" said the Farmer. “为什么这头驴子你分文不花,却这么可怜它?”农民说,
"What should I do—I, who have paid my good money for him?" “那花了不少钱买它的我该怎么样呢?”
"But, you see, he was my friend." "Your friend?" "A classmate of mine." “但是,我告诉您,他是我的朋友。”“你的朋友?”“他是我的一个同学。”
"What," shouted Farmer John, bursting out laughing. “什么,”约翰哈哈大笑说,
"What! You had donkeys in your school? How you must have studied!" “什么!你的学校有驴子?你该是怎么学习的!”
The Marionette 1, ashamed and hurt by those words, did not answer, but taking his glass of milk returned to his father. 木偶听了这话,感到羞愧和难过,他没有答话,接过他那杯牛奶,回爸爸那去了。
From that day on, for more than five months, 从那天起,整整五个多月工夫,
Pinocchio got up every morning just as dawn was breaking and went to the farm to draw water. 皮诺乔每天天刚亮就起来去农场打水。
And every day he was given a glass of warm milk for his poor old father, who grew stronger and better day by day. 每天他都给他可怜的年迈父亲喝一杯热牛奶,这使得他虚弱的身体一天天好起来了。
But he was not satisfied with this. He learned to make baskets of reeds and sold them. 可他对这还不满意,因此他又学会了编草篮来卖。
With the money he received, he and his father were able to keep from starving. 依靠挣得的收入,他和父亲可以免于挨饿。
1 marionette
n.木偶
- With this marionette I wish to travel through the world.我希望带着这个木偶周游世界。
- The development of marionette had a great influence on the future development of opera.木偶戏的发展对以后的戏曲有十分重要的影响。
标签:
木偶奇遇记