木偶奇遇记 第27期:遇到猫和狐狸(3)
英语课
"I'll explain," said the Fox.
“我这就告诉你,”狐狸说,
"You must know that, just outside the City of Simple Simons,“你要知道,就在傻瓜城外,
there is a blessed field called the Field of Wonders.
有一块被大家称作‘奇迹宝地’的福地。
In this field you dig a hole and in the hole you bury a gold piece.
你在这块地上挖一个小窟窿,然后放进一块金币。
After covering up the hole with earth you water it well, sprinkle a bit of salt on it, and go to bed.
然后你在窟窿上撒点土重新盖起来,浇上一些水,再撒上一小撮盐,接着你只管安安心心睡大觉就好了。
During the night, the gold piece sprouts 1, grows, blossoms,一夜的工夫,金币们发芽,生长,开花,
and next morning you find a beautiful tree, that is loaded with gold pieces."第二天早晨当你醒来会看到一棵漂亮的树,上面长满了金币。”
"So that if I were to bury my five gold pieces," cried Pinocchio with growing wonder,“这么说,”皮诺乔完全入迷了,说道:“要是我把我那五个金币种在那块地上,"next morning I should find--how many?"
第二天早晨我可以有——多少个金币?”
遇到猫和狐狸
"It is very simple to figure out," answered the Fox. "Why, you can figure it on your fingers!
“容易算极了,”狐狸回答说。“用指头尖一算就算得出来!
Granted that each piece gives you five hundred, multiply five hundred by five.
比方说,每个金币长出五百个,五百乘五,
Next morning you will find twenty-five hundred new, sparkling gold pieces."第二天早晨你口袋里就可以有两千五百个崭新发光的金币。”
"Fine! Fine!" cried Pinocchio, dancing about with joy.
“好吧!好吧!”皮诺乔大叫,高兴得跳起来。
"And as soon as I have them, I shall keep two thousand for myself and the other five hundred I'll give to you two."“等我把这些金币都采下来,我拿两千,剩下的五百个归你们。”
"A gift for us?" cried the Fox, pretending to be insulted. "Why, of course not!"“给我们?”狐狸假装出被侮辱的样子,生气地叫道,“什么?我们不要!”
"Of course not!" repeated the Cat.
“我们不要!”猫跟着又说了一遍。
"We do not work for gain," answered the Fox. "We work only to enrich others."“我们这么做可不是为了谋利,”狐狸回答说,“我们只是为了让别人发财致富。”
"To enrich others!" repeated the Cat.
“让别人发财致富。”猫又跟着说了一遍。
"What good people," thought Pinocchio to himself.
“多好的人啊!”皮诺乔心里说。
And forgetting his father, the new coat, the A-B-C book, and all his good resolutions,他一下子忘掉了他的爸爸,忘掉了新上衣,忘掉了识字课本,忘掉了一切好的打算,he said to the Fox and to the Cat: "Let us go. I am with you."对狐狸和猫说:“那咱们走吧,我跟你们去。”
标签:
木偶奇遇记