英语听书《白鲸记》第327期
英语课
Nevertheless, not three days previous, Bildad had told them that no profane 1 songs would be allowed on board the Pequod, particularly in getting under weigh; 虽然三天之前比勒达已经对他们说,在裴廓德号上,尤其是在开船的时候,不准唱腌歌曲;
and Charity, his sister, had placed a small choice copy of Watts 2 in each seaman's berth 3. 而且他的慈善妹妹,还事先在每个水手的吊铺里放了一本瓦茨的精巧小册子。
Meantime, overseeing the other part of the ship, Captain Peleg ripped and swore astern in the most frightful 4 manner. 这时,正在照料着船梢的法勒船长,以一种非常可怕的态度在那儿破口大骂。
I almost thought he would sink the ship before the anchor could be got up; 我差不多认为没等到拉起锚来,船倒会让他先弄沉了;
involuntarily I paused on my handspike, and told Queequeg to do the same, thinking of the perils 5 we both ran, in starting on the voyage with such a devil for a pilot. 我想到航程还刚开始,就碰上这么一个魔鬼似的领港人,我们俩简直是在冒险了,于是便不由自主地靠着木梃歇一歇,同时要魁魁格也这样做。
I was comforting myself, however, with the thought that in pious 6 Bildad might be found some salvation 7, spite of his seven hundred and seventy-seventh lay; 不过,我又自我安慰地想到在虔诚的比勒达身上,或许可以得到解救,尽管他提出过七百七十七分之一的拆帐。
when I felt a sudden sharp poke 8 in my rear, and turning round, was horrified 9 at the apparition 10 of Captain Peleg in the act of withdrawing his leg from my immediate 11 vicinity. 但是,说时迟,那时快,我觉得屁股上挨到了猛烈的一踢,回头一看,看到幽灵般的法勒船长,正贴近我的身旁,刚好把脚缩了回去,教我吓得要命。
That was my first kick. 这是我第一次挨踢。
Is that the way they heave in the marchant service? he roared. Spring, thou sheep-head; spring, and break thy backbone 12! 在商船上,他们是这样开船的么?他咆哮着。用劲绞呀,你这胆小鬼;绞呀,折断你的脊椎骨!
Why don't ye spring, I say, all of ye--spring! Quohog! spring, thou chap with the red whiskers; spring there, Scotch-cap; spring, thou green pants. 喂,你为什么不绞呀,你们大家。。。。。。绞呀!刮荷格!绞呀,你这红胡子的家伙;绞呀,黑野莓子;绞呀,你这小丑角。
Spring, I say, all of ye, and spring your eyes out! 绞呀,喂,你们大家,把你们的眼睛都绞出来呀!
And so saying, he moved along the windlass, here and there using his leg very freely, while imperturbable 13 Bildad kept leading off with his psalmody. 他一边这样说着,一边沿着绞车走去,畅所欲为地到处使着他的脚,那个沉着自若的比勒达则不住地在领头唱着他的赞美诗。
Thinks I, Captain Peleg must have been drinking something to-day. 我心里想,法勒船长今天一定是喝了些什么。
adj.亵神的,亵渎的;vt.亵渎,玷污
- He doesn't dare to profane the name of God.他不敢亵渎上帝之名。
- His profane language annoyed us.他亵渎的言语激怒了我们。
(电力计量单位)瓦,瓦特( watt的名词复数 )
- My lamp uses 60 watts; my toaster uses 600 watts. 我的灯用60瓦,我的烤面包器用600瓦。
- My lamp uses 40 watts. 我的灯40瓦。
n.卧铺,停泊地,锚位;v.使停泊
- She booked a berth on the train from London to Aberdeen.她订了一张由伦敦开往阿伯丁的火车卧铺票。
- They took up a berth near the harbor.他们在港口附近找了个位置下锚。
adj.可怕的;讨厌的
- How frightful to have a husband who snores!有一个发鼾声的丈夫多讨厌啊!
- We're having frightful weather these days.这几天天气坏极了。
极大危险( peril的名词复数 ); 危险的事(或环境)
- The commander bade his men be undaunted in the face of perils. 指挥员命令他的战士要临危不惧。
- With how many more perils and disasters would he load himself? 他还要再冒多少风险和遭受多少灾难?
adj.虔诚的;道貌岸然的
- Alexander is a pious follower of the faith.亚历山大是个虔诚的信徒。
- Her mother was a pious Christian.她母亲是一个虔诚的基督教徒。
n.(尤指基督)救世,超度,拯救,解困
- Salvation lay in political reform.解救办法在于政治改革。
- Christians hope and pray for salvation.基督教徒希望并祈祷灵魂得救。
n.刺,戳,袋;vt.拨开,刺,戳;vi.戳,刺,捅,搜索,伸出,行动散慢
- We never thought she would poke her nose into this.想不到她会插上一手。
- Don't poke fun at me.别拿我凑趣儿。
a.(表现出)恐惧的
- The whole country was horrified by the killings. 全国都对这些凶杀案感到大为震惊。
- We were horrified at the conditions prevailing in local prisons. 地方监狱的普遍状况让我们震惊。
n.幽灵,神奇的现象
- He saw the apparition of his dead wife.他看见了他亡妻的幽灵。
- But the terror of this new apparition brought me to a stand.这新出现的幽灵吓得我站在那里一动也不敢动。
adj.立即的;直接的,最接近的;紧靠的
- His immediate neighbours felt it their duty to call.他的近邻认为他们有责任去拜访。
- We declared ourselves for the immediate convocation of the meeting.我们主张立即召开这个会议。
n.脊骨,脊柱,骨干;刚毅,骨气
- The Chinese people have backbone.中国人民有骨气。
- The backbone is an articulate structure.脊椎骨是一种关节相连的结构。
adj.镇静的
- Thomas,of course,was cool and aloof and imperturbable.当然,托马斯沉着、冷漠,不易激动。
- Edward was a model of good temper and his equanimity imperturbable.爱德华是个典型的好性子,他总是沉着镇定。
标签:
白鲸记