美国文化脱口秀 第333期:美国人坐月子吗?
时间:2019-02-22 作者:英语课 分类:美国文化脱口秀
英语课
美国人坐月子吗?答案是大写的“不”。即使是Spencer这样的中国通,也对坐月子这件事叹为观止。听听Jenny如何向美国人解释月子的道理和重要性。
关键词:
坐月子
"Sitting the month": 坐月子
不过这个说法在英语里本来不存在,是从中文直译的
The month after giving birth: 月子,生完孩子的那个月
美国人不坐月子
We don't have this tradition, this practice in America: 在美国,我们没有这个传统、这个做法
After giving birth in America, the nurse would give you a glass of cold water to cool down: 在美国生完孩子,护士会给你一杯冷水,让你降降温
I have a friend who had her baby in Australia. She said the nurse
forced her to take a shower after giving birth to rinse 1 off the blood:
我有个朋友在澳洲生孩子。护士让她生完第二天一定要洗澡, 把血冲掉
OB/GYN - 产科医生
美国人坐月子吗?
坐月子是个古老的传统
What's the reasoning behind yuezi? 坐月子的道理是什么?
It's a really old tradition that's been around for hundreds if not thousands of years: 这是一个千百年的悠久传统
The hygienic standards were really low back then: 古时候的卫生条件很差
People didn't have running water, hot water: 没有自来水、热水
If you took a shower after giving birth, it might really weaken your body and harm your health: 生好孩子洗澡,很可能危及健康
Even though hygienic standards are much better now, the power of tradition is still very strong: 虽然现在卫生条件好多了,但是传统的力量还是很强
坐月子是一家人的工程
It takes a village: 要动用一村子、一家、一群人才能完成的事情
Many young Chinese women might also think some yuezi practices are too extreme: 很多年轻中国女性也觉得有些坐月子的方式很极端
Not washing up for a month is gross: 一个月不洗澡很恶心
Beggar: 流浪汉
They don't bathe: 他们洗澡
They smell horrible: 他们身上很臭
But we do it because we respect tradition: 我们尊重传统
And I did it to not upset my mom: 我服从坐月子,因为不想惹我妈妈生气
My mom was very insistent 2: 我妈妈很坚持让我坐月子
She was very adamant 3 about it: 她非常坚定
坐月子真的要sit一个月?
If you are cautious in the month after giving birth, it's good for the baby too: 好好坐月子,对宝宝也好
Breast feeding: 母乳喂养
I probably wouldn't even have energy to shower: 我月子里也没力气洗澡
美国人还是不明白
But if you lie around for a month, it will make you more exhausted 4: 一个月躺着不动,会更累
We don't just lie around and not move: 我们不是躺着不动
But we do stay at home and not leave the door for a whole month: 但是我们确实会一个月在家,不出门
There are so many germs outside: 因为外面还有很多细菌
What's the scientific basis of all this? 这有什么科学依据?
You're gonna get so much hate mail after this show: 你这是在拉仇恨
I can understand you need to relax and take it easy: 我明白月子里需要静养、休息
But I don't understand why you can't shower or wash your hair: 但我不懂为什么不能洗澡、洗头
Personal hygiene - 个人卫生
中国庞大的月子产业
Sitting the month special meals: 月子餐
Tasteless: 没味道的
Organs: 内脏
Anemia: 贫血
Pork liver: 猪肝
Be particular about: 讲究
Stay away from cold stuff: 千万不要吃冷的
Post baby maid:月嫂
Specialized nanny: 特殊的保姆
Techniques and skills: 技术、技能
Special yuezi retreat: 月子中心
美国人还是有些不理解
I'm not sold: 我不相信
Not convinced: 不信服
I'm not buying it :我不相信你说的
Old wives's tale: 坊间传说、没有科学依据的传说
Better safe than sorry: 还是小心谨慎好
月子保养好、以后没烦恼
Sitting the month helps you become healthier: 坐月子会让你更健康
It also makes you look better: 也会让你更漂亮
Asians don't crack: 亚洲人不显老、不会崩掉
Wrinkles: 皱纹
Take care of yourself: 保养
v.用清水漂洗,用清水冲洗
- Give the cup a rinse.冲洗一下杯子。
- Don't just rinse the bottles. Wash them out carefully.别只涮涮瓶子,要仔细地洗洗里面。
adj.迫切的,坚持的
- There was an insistent knock on my door.我听到一阵急促的敲门声。
- He is most insistent on this point.他在这点上很坚持。
adj.坚硬的,固执的
- We are adamant on the building of a well-off society.在建设小康社会这一点上,我们是坚定不移的。
- Veronica was quite adamant that they should stay on.维罗妮卡坚信他们必须继续留下去。