时间:2018-12-05 作者:英语课 分类:职场社交


英语课


SCENE④ A  电话响起   戴夫与吉娜继续说话 


【你别欲擒故纵了】


 


Zina:           No, Dave. I haven't wrecked 1 my jeep. I'm calling to 1) offer you a job.


吉娜:  不,戴夫。我的吉普没有撞毁。我打来是要提供你工作机会的。


 


Dave: With InfoKing? No, thanks.


戴夫:         资讯王?免了吧,多谢。


 


Zina:           I'd like you to manage a new online auction 2 site we're building.


吉娜:         我希望你能管理我们新架设中的线上竞标网站。


 


Dave:          I'm not interested, Zina.


戴夫:         我没兴趣,吉娜。


 


Zina:  Don't play hard to get. The 2) pay is good. You'd be working with Elvin again.


吉娜:         你别欲擒故纵了。薪水很高的。你会跟艾文再度共事。


 


Dave:          I don't think so.


戴夫:         我想不妥吧。


 


Zina:  Elvin doesn't 3) hold a grudge 3, if that's what you're worried about.


吉娜:         艾文并没有怀恨在心,若你是在担心这个的话。


 




语言详解


 


A: Life is too short to hold grudges 4. C'mon, talk to me again.


  人生苦短,何须心怀怨恨。来嘛,再跟我说话。


 


B: Well, if you put it that way...


    OK. 既然你这样说……那好吧。


 


play hard to get 欲擒故纵】


 


在人际的关系当中,好比男女关系或是聘雇之间的关系,有时候一方会采取不置可否的态度,让人觉得对方若即若离的,在要与不要之间,真叫人拿捏不定。也许你会觉得对方其实是想要,只是爱欲擒故纵、搞神秘,这种情况在美语中就可以用 play hard to get 欲擒故纵来形容。


 


A: I don't think Lisa likes me.


     我不觉得莉莎喜欢我。


B: Yes, she does. She's just playing hard to get.


     不,她喜欢你。她只是欲擒故纵。


 


1) offer (v.)  提供(工作机会等)


2) pay  (n.)  薪水,酬劳


3) hold a grudge  心怀怨恨,挟怨



1 wrecked
adj.失事的,遇难的
  • the hulk of a wrecked ship 遇难轮船的残骸
  • the salvage of the wrecked tanker 对失事油轮的打捞
2 auction
n.拍卖;拍卖会;vt.拍卖
  • They've put the contents of their house up for auction.他们把房子里的东西全都拿去拍卖了。
  • They bought a new minibus with the proceeds from the auction.他们用拍卖得来的钱买了一辆新面包车。
3 grudge
n.不满,怨恨,妒嫉;vt.勉强给,不情愿做
  • I grudge paying so much for such inferior goods.我不愿花这么多钱买次品。
  • I do not grudge him his success.我不嫉妒他的成功。
4 grudges
不满,怨恨,妒忌( grudge的名词复数 )
  • He never grudges money. 他从不吝惜金钱。
  • They bear grudges against each other. 他俩有过节儿。