这是难关,对吧?
SCENE⑤ A 会议结束后
【这是难关,对吧?】
Dave: It's 1) crunch 1 time, isn't it? I wasn't 2) nervous 2 before the meeting 3, but now I am.
戴夫: 这是难关,对吧? 我开会前还不紧张的,但现在我紧张了。
Elvin: No kidding. Time is running 4 out.
艾文: 一点不假。时间越来越紧迫了。
Dave: It would 5 help to bring in a couple 6 more 3) troubleshooters.
戴夫: 若是再找几个难题顾问来解决问题,可能会有帮助。
Elvin: Vince says he can't 4) afford 7 anybody 8 else. We're got 9 to 5) come through.
艾文: 文斯说他请不起人了。我们得要自己撑过。
Dave: Do you think we'll make it?
戴夫: 你觉得我们会成功吗?
Elvin: I guess we'll either 10 make it, or we won't.
艾文: 我猜我们要么就搞定,否则就完蛋了。
语言详解
A: Dad! I love that car.
爸!我好爱那辆车。
B: Me too. But we can't afford it.
我也是。不过我们买不起。
【Time is running out. 时间越来越紧迫了。】
run out 表示“耗尽、到期、届满”,而 run out of 是“将……用光、缺乏”,前者不能接名词,而后者一定接名词或动名词。
A: We'd better hurry. Time is running out.
我们最好快一点。时间快到了。
B: But we have to find a gas 11 station first. We are running out of gas.
但是我们必须先找个加油站。汽油快用光了。
A: Why didn't we use the other car?
为什么我们没有用另外那部车子呢?
1) crunch time (n.) (俚)关键时刻,危机困境。
2) nervous (a.) 感到紧张的
3) troubleshooter (n.) 解决麻烦问题的能手。
4) afford (v.) 负担得起
5) come through 度过难关
- If it comes to the crunch they'll support us.关键时刻他们是会支持我们的。
- People who crunch nuts at the movies can be very annoying.看电影时嘎吱作声地嚼干果的人会使人十分讨厌。
- He feels nervous when he faces so many people.面对那么多人,他感到紧张。
- He was over nervous.他太紧张了。
- Will you be at the meeting?你会来开会吗?
- We would like to hold the meeting at an early date.我们希望早日举行这次会议。
- Why would you say that?为什么你会这么说?
- Would you please help me?你能帮帮我吗?
- I have a couple of things to do.我有几件事要做。
- I'll come again in a couple of days.我过两天再来。
- At last they could afford a house.他们终于买得起房子了。
- I'll afford you a chance.我将给你提供一个机会。
- I just got some bad news.我刚得到一些坏消息。
- I have got far too much work to do.我要做的事太多了。
- I have bought two books,you can have either.我买了两本书,你要哪一本都可以。
- I don't think either of them are at home.我想他们中任何一个都不在家。