美国语文第五册 第292期:野鸽过客(1)
时间:2019-02-13 作者:英语课 分类:美国语文第五册
英语课
The multitudes of wild pigeons in our woods are astonishing. 最终看来,至少对提议者来说,所有快乐希望已经毫无可能。
Indeed, after having viewed them so often, and under so many circumstances, 我的确经常在不少地方见过大批野鸽,即便现在,
I even now feel inclined to pause and assure myself that what I am going to relate is a fact. 也坚持认为不要轻率做出结论,以确保自己陈述皆为事实。
Yet I have seen it all, and that, too, in the company of persons who, like myself, were struck with amazement 1. 我和同伴都见过大批野鸽,彼此感受心同,那种形容毋庸说是身心震撼,难以言说的刻骨铭心。
In the autumn of 1813 I left my house at Henderson, on the banks of the Ohio, on my way to Louisville. 1813年秋天,离开坐落于俄亥俄河岸汉德森的家,我前去路易斯维尔。
In passing over the Barrens, a few miles beyond Hardinsburgh, 途中,当马车穿越一片荒原,驶过哈丁斯博格数英里后,
I observed the pigeons flying, from northeast to southwest, in greater numbers than I thought I had ever seen them before, 我看到天空中由东北往西南方向飞来的黑压压的鸽群,眼见鸽群数量愈来愈多,甚至超过我有生以来所见总和,
and feeling an inclination 2 to count the flocks that might pass within the reach of my eye in one hour, 我心血来潮,突然想做次统计,计算一小时内目力所及范围内飞过的鸽群数,
I dismounted, seated myself on an eminence 3, and began to mark with my pencil, making a dot for every flock that passed. 于是我便走下车,找处高坡坐下,开始用铅笔做记号,每见一个鸽群飞过就用圆点做个标注。
In a short time, finding the task which I had undertaken impracticable, as the birds poured in in countless 4 multitudes, I rose, 不一会儿,我便发现我的记录完全无济于事,鸽群铺天盖地不断涌来,成片成队委实难计其数。
and, counting the dots then put down, found that one hundred and sixty-three had been made in twenty-one minutes 我站立起来,数了数刚记下的标记,短短21分钟里,竟有163个鸽群在我眼前呼啸而过。
I traveled on, and still met more the farther I proceeded. 我接着往前走,愈发见到更多,
The air was literally 5 filled with pigeons; the light of noonday was obscured as by an eclipse; 整座天空完全成为鸽子的飞翔世界。鸽群掠飞,宛如日食遮天蔽日,正午阳光亦随即黯淡起来。
and the continued buzz of wings had a tendency to lull 6 my senses to repose 7. 鸽群翼翅发出的嗡嗡翕动声,竟然让我产生昏昏欲睡的时空错觉。
n.惊奇,惊讶
- All those around him looked at him with amazement.周围的人都对他投射出惊异的眼光。
- He looked at me in blank amazement.他带着迷茫惊诧的神情望着我。
n.倾斜;点头;弯腰;斜坡;倾度;倾向;爱好
- She greeted us with a slight inclination of the head.她微微点头向我们致意。
- I did not feel the slightest inclination to hurry.我没有丝毫着急的意思。
n.卓越,显赫;高地,高处;名家
- He is a statesman of great eminence.他是个声名显赫的政治家。
- Many of the pilots were to achieve eminence in the aeronautical world.这些飞行员中很多人将会在航空界声名显赫。
adj.无数的,多得不计其数的
- In the war countless innocent people lost their lives.在这场战争中无数无辜的人丧失了性命。
- I've told you countless times.我已经告诉你无数遍了。
adv.照字面意义,逐字地;确实
- He translated the passage literally.他逐字逐句地翻译这段文字。
- Sometimes she would not sit down till she was literally faint.有时候,她不走到真正要昏厥了,决不肯坐下来。
v.使安静,使入睡,缓和,哄骗;n.暂停,间歇
- The drug put Simpson in a lull for thirty minutes.药物使辛普森安静了30分钟。
- Ground fighting flared up again after a two-week lull.经过两个星期的平静之后,地面战又突然爆发了。