美国语文第五册 第249期:暴躁易怒的妻子(3)
时间:2019-02-21 作者:英语课 分类:美国语文第五册
英语课
No, you never think of me now. I can easily believe that you were not thinking of me in the least. 压根没想到,你现在怎能想到我,显而易见,你根本不会想到我。
But I said that only to prove to you that I could not be thinking ill of you, my dear. 可是,我刚才说的只不过向你表明,我不可能把你想歪了,亲爱的。
But I would rather that you thought ill of me than that you should not think of me at all. 可是,我宁愿你把我想歪,也比你一点不想我要强。
Well, my dear, I will even think ill of you if that will please you. 好了,亲爱的,如果能让你高兴,那我就把你想歪喽。
Do you laugh at me? When it comes to this I am wretched indeed. 你嘲笑我?要真是这样,我可就太悲催了。
Never man laughed at the woman he loved. 一个男人从不讥笑他所喜爱的女人,
As long as you had the slightest remains 1 of love for me you could not make me an object of derision; 哪怕你对我还有一丁点爱,你也不会让我成为你嘲弄的对象,
ridicule 2 and love are incompatible 3, absolutely incompatible. 愚弄与爱不可调和,绝对不可以。
Well, I have done my best, my very best, to make you happy, but in vain. 好了,我一直尽最大努力,使出浑身解数想使你开心快乐,结果到头,整个一场空欢喜。
I see I am not cut out to be a good wife. Happy, happy Mrs. Granby! 我知道,我天生就不是个好妻子。格兰比夫人,开心快乐!见你个大头鬼吧!
Happy, I hope sincerely, that she will be with my friend; but my happiness must depend on you, my love; 开心快乐点,这是我的真心话,她只是和我的朋友一起生活,但我的幸福当然取决于你,我的宝贝,
so, for my sake, if not for your own, be composed, and do not torment 4 yourself with such fancies. 为我想想,哪怕不是为你自己,心静点,别让这些念头折磨你自己。
I do wonder whether this Mrs. Granby is really that Miss Emma Cooke. I’ll go and see her directly; see her I must. 我就是想弄清楚,这个格兰比夫人究竟是不是爱玛·库克小姐?我现在就去,我必须亲自查看明白。
I am heartily 5 glad of it, my dear; for I am sure a visit to his wife will give my friend Granby real pleasure. 亲爱的,听你这么说,我真高兴。我相信,你去拜访格兰比夫人,我的朋友格兰比简直会开心坏了。
I promise you, my dear, I do not go to give him pleasure, or you either, but to satisfy my own curiosity. 亲爱的,我可告诉你,我去他家,可不是让你的朋友开心,亦不在乎你是否高兴,我就是要亲眼看看那个格兰比夫人究竟长得什么样。
n.剩余物,残留物;遗体,遗迹
- He ate the remains of food hungrily.他狼吞虎咽地吃剩余的食物。
- The remains of the meal were fed to the dog.残羹剩饭喂狗了。
v.讥讽,挖苦;n.嘲弄
- You mustn't ridicule unfortunate people.你不该嘲笑不幸的人。
- Silly mistakes and queer clothes often arouse ridicule.荒谬的错误和古怪的服装常会引起人们的讪笑。
adj.不相容的,不协调的,不相配的
- His plan is incompatible with my intent.他的计划与我的意图不相符。
- Speed and safety are not necessarily incompatible.速度和安全未必不相容。
n.折磨;令人痛苦的东西(人);vt.折磨;纠缠
- He has never suffered the torment of rejection.他从未经受过遭人拒绝的痛苦。
- Now nothing aggravates me more than when people torment each other.没有什么东西比人们的互相折磨更使我愤怒。