时间:2019-01-29 作者:英语课 分类:白鲸记


英语课

 Nevertheless, not three days previous, Bildad had told them that no profane 1 songs would be allowed on board the Pequod, particularly in getting under weigh; and Charity, his sister, had placed a small choice copy of Watts 2 in each seaman's berth 3.  水手们也在唱歌,不过不是离别的凄凉之作,更不是圣歌,而是一首关于一个什么港上的姑娘的歌。 


Meantime, overseeing the other part of the ship, Captain Peleg ripped and swore astern in the most frightful 4 manner.  法勒现在站在船尾,他没唱歌,他在不停地吼叫,让人担心船还没出港就会让他给骂沉了! 
I almost thought he would sink the ship before the anchor could be got up; involuntarily I paused on my handspike, and told Queequeg to do the same, thinking of the perils 5 we both ran, in starting on the voyage with such a devil for a pilot.  随着绞车的转动,铁锚被缓缓地从水里拉了起来。比勒达全神贯注地盯着这个过程,嘴里哼着一首凄婉的曲子。 
I was comforting myself, however, with the thought that in pious 6 Bildad might be found some salvation 7, spite of his seven hundred and seventy-seventh lay; 我靠在船舷上,很自然地想歇一歇,
when I felt a sudden sharp poke 8 in my rear, and turning round, was horrified 9 at the apparition 10 of Captain Peleg in the act of withdrawing his leg from my immediate 11 vicinity.  可还没回过神儿来,屁股上就挨了重重的一踢! 

adj.亵神的,亵渎的;vt.亵渎,玷污
  • He doesn't dare to profane the name of God.他不敢亵渎上帝之名。
  • His profane language annoyed us.他亵渎的言语激怒了我们。
(电力计量单位)瓦,瓦特( watt的名词复数 )
  • My lamp uses 60 watts; my toaster uses 600 watts. 我的灯用60瓦,我的烤面包器用600瓦。
  • My lamp uses 40 watts. 我的灯40瓦。
n.卧铺,停泊地,锚位;v.使停泊
  • She booked a berth on the train from London to Aberdeen.她订了一张由伦敦开往阿伯丁的火车卧铺票。
  • They took up a berth near the harbor.他们在港口附近找了个位置下锚。
adj.可怕的;讨厌的
  • How frightful to have a husband who snores!有一个发鼾声的丈夫多讨厌啊!
  • We're having frightful weather these days.这几天天气坏极了。
极大危险( peril的名词复数 ); 危险的事(或环境)
  • The commander bade his men be undaunted in the face of perils. 指挥员命令他的战士要临危不惧。
  • With how many more perils and disasters would he load himself? 他还要再冒多少风险和遭受多少灾难?
adj.虔诚的;道貌岸然的
  • Alexander is a pious follower of the faith.亚历山大是个虔诚的信徒。
  • Her mother was a pious Christian.她母亲是一个虔诚的基督教徒。
n.(尤指基督)救世,超度,拯救,解困
  • Salvation lay in political reform.解救办法在于政治改革。
  • Christians hope and pray for salvation.基督教徒希望并祈祷灵魂得救。
n.刺,戳,袋;vt.拨开,刺,戳;vi.戳,刺,捅,搜索,伸出,行动散慢
  • We never thought she would poke her nose into this.想不到她会插上一手。
  • Don't poke fun at me.别拿我凑趣儿。
a.(表现出)恐惧的
  • The whole country was horrified by the killings. 全国都对这些凶杀案感到大为震惊。
  • We were horrified at the conditions prevailing in local prisons. 地方监狱的普遍状况让我们震惊。
n.幽灵,神奇的现象
  • He saw the apparition of his dead wife.他看见了他亡妻的幽灵。
  • But the terror of this new apparition brought me to a stand.这新出现的幽灵吓得我站在那里一动也不敢动。
adj.立即的;直接的,最接近的;紧靠的
  • His immediate neighbours felt it their duty to call.他的近邻认为他们有责任去拜访。
  • We declared ourselves for the immediate convocation of the meeting.我们主张立即召开这个会议。
标签: 白鲸记